7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

:innocent:(F):help:

1. I have seen that after an I-601 is approved, there is another interview at the consulate. What is that about?

2. If our petition is sucessful, Doesn't he need a green card? How long does that take?

3. If he can get here and we get married before the end of 2012, (what an optimist!!!), couldn't we file jointly? That would recoup a lot of the money we have spent on lawyers.

4. I think we would need the green card before we go the Social Security office to apply for an ITIN or SSN. Would we have to have all that before April 15th 2013 or by December 31st 2012?

5. I think an ITIN or SSN is required by the IRS to file jointly. What if it is pending?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

**Moved from K1 to Waivers and AP Processes as the poster has questions related to the approval of a waiver and not to a K1 process.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

We filed for the waiver last week. I have seen a goal of 4 months since they started the lockbox procedure.

My questions are relative to what are the next steps to take if we are sucessful?

For instance, when he comes here and we get married, who do we notify (and how) that the marriage has taken place?

A friend told me last night that you can apply for the SSN prior to getting the green card.

His circumstances are a little different, since he married his wife in the Dominican Republic, so they were already married when he brought her here. :jest:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

We filed for the waiver last week. I have seen a goal of 4 months since they started the lockbox procedure.

My questions are relative to what are the next steps to take if we are sucessful?

For instance, when he comes here and we get married, who do we notify (and how) that the marriage has taken place?

A friend told me last night that you can apply for the SSN prior to getting the green card.

His circumstances are a little different, since he married his wife in the Dominican Republic, so they were already married when he brought her here. :jest:

I went to read your timeline a bit to get a clearer picture of what's going on. I think 4 months is very hopeful...not impossible bc I know they are moving quickly. I wouldn't count on it though, but that's just me. I've learned from 10 years of dealing with immigration that nothing is textbook and anything can happen. Having said that, I wish you lots of luck for a speedy approval.

When filing a 601 in conjuction with an approved K1 petition, the waiver will be approved conditionally pending adjustment of status when the intending immigrant arrives in the US. The visa is good for one single entry and status can only be obtained through the petitioner(you). You will have to marry within 90 days of his arrival and then file to adjust status. In this process he will receive an EAD, SSN, and eveantually a green card. He cannot work without the EAD or green card.

You do not notify anyone that the marriage has taken place. You simpy file the appropriate forms to adjust status with immigration and use your marriage license and proof. I'm not clear on the SSN question, but I THINK you may be able to get it after the EAD is issued.

Take a look at the guides here for answers to your questions about the process in depth much better than I can describe/explain.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/guides

Even after the green card is issued, it will only be a conditional green card good for two years. You will have to file to remove conditions at that time to get the ten year card.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.