plaidcat

Visiting From Canada!

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi there,

I've got a couple (thousand) questions about my upcoming visit to the States.

First off: I'm a Canadian living and working full time in Canada -and my boyfriend lives in the states. I visited him for the first time in August (hopping on a flight from a neighbouring state during my family vacation) and will be visiting in October for about five days staying at his apartment.

Now, I know they discourage saying "I'm visiting my boyfriend" when crossing the border and that I should say "visiting some friends" -is there anything else I should bring to back myself up? Any advice to put my brain at ease would be great!

Next thing:

I am technically dual (American citizen born abroad -my mother is American) I have my appointment with the US consulate in Canada before I leave but will likely not receive my American passport until November. I decided to apply for my US passport after realizing how tough if it to cross the border and was hoping this would allow me access to come and go. (please tell me if I'm being TOO optimistic)

I do plan to move there in 2012 but for now will just be flying back and forth. Will my recent application for a US passport look suspicious? I got an appointment as soon as I could as I am planning to visit again about three weeks after my October visit. (again, hoping my American passport would make this a breeze)

Any help would be appreciated! Sorry for the novel!

Hi there, and welcome to VJ. :)

I'm going to move your thread from the US Citizenship discussion over to the Canada forum so you receive country-specific information.

First off, you got some really bad advice. Never ever ever ever lie to the CBP Officer(s). That has drastic consequences. If they find you are being evasive at any point, they're going to wonder what else you have to hide. Be open, honest, and direct. Answer only their questions and don't provide any extra information unless asked. In other words, keep it short and sweet. You are not doing anything dishonest, and you have nothing to hide, so act that way. Make sure you have proof of ties to Canada to show them that you're returning. Your return trip ticket is one good piece of evidence. Here is a link for you. It refers to K-1 visa applicants but it pertains to all.

http://www.visajourn...content/k1visit

Secondly, the fact that you are a dual citizen works in your favour. No need to hide it, and no need to be concerned that you've applied for a passport. You can tell them at secondary if you get sent there.

Have a great trip!

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi there,

I've got a couple (thousand) questions about my upcoming visit to the States.

First off: I'm a Canadian living and working full time in Canada -and my boyfriend lives in the states. I visited him for the first time in August (hopping on a flight from a neighbouring state during my family vacation) and will be visiting in October for about five days staying at his apartment.

Now, I know they discourage saying "I'm visiting my boyfriend" when crossing the border and that I should say "visiting some friends" -is there anything else I should bring to back myself up? Any advice to put my brain at ease would be great!

Next thing:

I am technically dual (American citizen born abroad -my mother is American) I have my appointment with the US consulate in Canada before I leave but will likely not receive my American passport until November. I decided to apply for my US passport after realizing how tough if it to cross the border and was hoping this would allow me access to come and go. (please tell me if I'm being TOO optimistic)

I do plan to move there in 2012 but for now will just be flying back and forth. Will my recent application for a US passport look suspicious? I got an appointment as soon as I could as I am planning to visit again about three weeks after my October visit. (again, hoping my American passport would make this a breeze)

Any help would be appreciated! Sorry for the novel!

you will not have any problem i assume even if you tell them that you are visiting your BF.still you want to be at the safer side i shall advise you to bring along anything related to your full time job (that you mentioned),which will prove that you have strong enough ties to go back to your country.looking at your post,i can almost say that your entry into the US will be smooth.good luck with your plans.

Edited by kintu

Thanks for the advice!

I know I'm probably over-reacting but you know how it is.

I know I can't predict the questions they ask (who can??) but if they say: "Purpose of visit" what is the most to-the-point answer i can give to avoid any questions about meeting my *online boyfriend* in the states.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If they ask why you're going, you'll probably want to reply "visiting my boyfriend."

They'll probably ask, "how did you meet?" and you'll say "online" - at that point, the conversation could go a number of ways. But as long as you're honest and you have proof of your ties to Canada, you should be fine.

I was grilled a couple of times just about meeting FRIENDS that I met online. They asked how I know them, how long I've known them, why I'm travelling and staying with them when I've only ever known them online, etc. I just honestly responded that I've known them for a long enough time that I feel I've built a relationship with them and I trust them. We've spoken on the phone and sent each other mail. And also, my friends and family at home know exactly where I'm going and for how long, and know that they can reach me at any time.

Generally, I've been asked a lot of questions (seemingly for my own protection), but I've never been pulled into secondary.

Ex27m5.png MbP5m4.png

VJsig.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Thanks for the advice!

I know I'm probably over-reacting but you know how it is.

I know I can't predict the questions they ask (who can??) but if they say: "Purpose of visit" what is the most to-the-point answer i can give to avoid any questions about meeting my *online boyfriend* in the states.

i met my wife over facebook.i am an indian citizen a legal PR of canada and was living in Montreal when i met my wife.i visited her like thrice after getting married and every time i told them i am going to visit my wife.they asked me basic questions about my job in CA and stuff.it has always been smooth for me and you are a native North american.do not even worry about it.just chill :dance:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Normally it is very easy------but one should ALWAYS be prepared and have evidence on you that ur going to return to Canada. My 2 cents are listed in my signature down below

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Any advice if I don't have a lease? I live with my parents.

You can bring things like pay-stubs, a letter from your employer, account balance at your bank, if you're staying at a hotel (which you may not be) your itinerary with your check-out date, any utility bills that you may have in your name... just anything that you can think of that proves your ties to Canada, and that you'll be coming back.

Ex27m5.png MbP5m4.png

VJsig.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's a good idea to follow the advice listed here until you have proof of your American citizenship. After that, though, you really don't have to worry about it. You don't have to prove you'll return to Canada because you have every right to enter and live in the US. You'll still have to answer questions and satisfy whatever hoops they want you to jump through, but you are just as much a US Citizen as someone who was born and raised here. While you may see yourself as Canadian or a dual citizen, the US government just sees you as American. I think as an American citizen, you really are supposed to only enter the US on a US passport, so be sure to use it as soon as you get it. And yes, never ever lie to the border folks. You don't have to worry about future immigration consequences since you are an American citizen, but lying to immigration is still against the law.

AOS (from tourist w/overstay)

1/26/10 - NOA

5/04/10 - interview appt - approved

ROC

2/06/12 - NOA date

7/31/12 - card production ordered

N-400

2/08/13 - NOA date

3/05/13 - biometrics appt

6/18/13 - interview - passed!

7/18/13 - oath ceremony

It's a good idea to follow the advice listed here until you have proof of your American citizenship. After that, though, you really don't have to worry about it. You don't have to prove you'll return to Canada because you have every right to enter and live in the US. You'll still have to answer questions and satisfy whatever hoops they want you to jump through, but you are just as much a US Citizen as someone who was born and raised here. While you may see yourself as Canadian or a dual citizen, the US government just sees you as American. I think as an American citizen, you really are supposed to only enter the US on a US passport, so be sure to use it as soon as you get it. And yes, never ever lie to the border folks. You don't have to worry about future immigration consequences since you are an American citizen, but lying to immigration is still against the law.

So, really the US has no reason to deny me as a Canadian citizen if I tell the truth, bring proof of employment as well as a couple other items (return ticket, phone bill, bank statement, business card, letter from employer, pay stub).

Have you heard of anyone being denied with these items?

I've met him once (in August, traveled from Toronto to Arizona to visit family then made a stop in LA and returned to Arizona then Toronto) does it seem suspicious that I visited him while I was already in the states? I didn't exactly provide his address I had provided my aunt's initially because I spent the bulk of my time there. Would that raise eyebrows?

No, it's not suspicious. You really are over-thinking this. You're just visiting your boyfriend then coming back to Canada. That's it. There's nothing wrong with that.

you're right! i am! thank you for being honest though. i really just needed someone to tell me i'm over analyzing the hell out of this, haha. you know how it is though. waiting months to see your significant other. you just want everything to go perfectly :)

thanks again!

I was just looking at the US Consulate site and saw this in the frequently asked questions:

I am a dual U.S. and Canadian citizen and I don't have time to get a U.S. passport. May I enter the U.S. with my travel document showing my Canadian (or other) citizenship?

No, U.S. law requires U.S. citizens to enter and depart the U.S. documented as U.S. citizens. Improperly documented U.S. citizens may be barred or delayed considerably at a port of entry.

I've been traveling to the States no problem for years and have never been asked about having US citizenship as I was born in Canada. If I have an American Citizen Born Abroad certificate do I fall under this category? I've had it since 1993. I would only be applying for my first American passport on October 3 and there's no guarantee it will come before October 17th when I'm set to leave.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was just looking at the US Consulate site and saw this in the frequently asked questions:

I am a dual U.S. and Canadian citizen and I don't have time to get a U.S. passport. May I enter the U.S. with my travel document showing my Canadian (or other) citizenship?

No, U.S. law requires U.S. citizens to enter and depart the U.S. documented as U.S. citizens. Improperly documented U.S. citizens may be barred or delayed considerably at a port of entry.

I've been traveling to the States no problem for years and have never been asked about having US citizenship as I was born in Canada. If I have an American Citizen Born Abroad certificate do I fall under this category? I've had it since 1993. I would only be applying for my first American passport on October 3 and there's no guarantee it will come before October 17th when I'm set to leave.

It does apply to you and you've not done yourself any favors, but I don't think there will be any real consequences. When coming to the US, you need to stop thinking of yourself as a Canadian citizen. It's irrelevant that you're a Canadian citizen and none of the rules that apply to Canadians apply to you because the US does not see you as Canadian. You are technically breaking the law entering the US on a Canadian passport and it would be ideal for you to postpone your trip until you have an American passport (you might be able to pay for the expedited processing and get it in time for your upcoming trip). You definitely need to disclose your American citizenship when they ask for your citizenship. You can't exactly claim that you didn't know you were an American citizen if you've had the certificate since 1993. You can try to bring your Canadian passport, your American Citizen Born Abroad certificate, and proof you've applied for an American passport and just be honest with the border folks - they may or may not let you through since you don't really have the required documentation. While this may seem like a hassle now, you should try to look at the bright side and realize you're never going to have to worry about any of the immigration issues most the people on this site will. You'll never have to be separated from your boyfriend just because of immigration issues. It's a bit confusing because it seems like you really just see yourself as a Canadian who happens to have American citizenship that you've never done anything with. There's nothing wrong with that, but it is not the way the US sees you - the US sees you as an American who happens to live in Canada and they really don't care about your status in Canada. When entering the US, you should present yourself the way the US sees you - as an American citizen living in Canada. Good luck - you'll be totally set once you have your US passport.

AOS (from tourist w/overstay)

1/26/10 - NOA

5/04/10 - interview appt - approved

ROC

2/06/12 - NOA date

7/31/12 - card production ordered

N-400

2/08/13 - NOA date

3/05/13 - biometrics appt

6/18/13 - interview - passed!

7/18/13 - oath ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.