lemayz

Post-interview problem - five weeks to get a visa!!

54 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

Hi everyone!

Well, we finally had our interview today, and the result was not fantastic. At the end of the interview they said we were approved, but told us that the Embassy was having some kind of problem printing visas or something like that, and so we might not get my husband's passport and visa back for up to 5 weeks. FIVE WEEKS!!! We tried to ask more questions, but they would not give us any more information. We don't know what to do....we were going to buy plane tickets and quit our jobs tomorrow, but now that we don't know when we will get the visa, all of our plans are postponed.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what we might do? I am emailing the local Embassy/Consulate right now to try to get more clarity, but what else can I do? Should I call the DOS? Who can possibly help us? Five weeks is an awfully long time to wait to even have an idea of when we can leave. And they didn't even sound 100% convinced that it would be less than five weeks.

Please help!!!

Thanks

Timeline:

Nov. 2008 - met my husband in Chile

May 2011 - engaged

Dec. 2011 - married

Feb. 20, 2012 - sent in I-130 packet from abroad

March 3, 2012 - NOA1

March 14, 2012 - NOA2

March 21, 2012 - NVC Received

April 4, 2012 - NVC Case Number Received

April 9, 2012 - AOS bill Paid

April 12(ish) - IV bill Paid

June 11, 2012 - AOS and IV packages received by NVC

June 18, 2012 - Checklist received from NVC (to send forms that I am not even supposed to have!)

June 20, 2012 - IV packet approved

June 26, 2012 - AOS Checklist response sent

July 18, 2012 - Case complete

August 23, 2012 - Medical Appointment

September 26, 2012 - Interview - supposedly approved but put on Administrative Processing :-(

October 18, 2021 - Received Visa

Dec. 13, 2012 - POE at Miami

Dec. 20, 2012 - received Social Security Card

Jan. 3, 2013 - received Greencard

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

call DoS Hotline every few days or so, inquire for casefile status.

When you hear 'visa packet sent'

then that's a good sign that the paper shipment arrived and the IV unit got caught up, up to yer place in the queue (there were others before you, ya know)

Be Patient, it'll happen.

DoS Hotline # in my profile, click the girls, study left panel.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Jessica - yup!

Darnell - based on your response it almost sounds like this is semi-normal? (you dont seem surprised at all by my question). Perhaps I am not familiar enough with the process but the DOS will say "visa packet sent" in response to my specific case? I did not realize that the visas had to be sent...I thought each consulate printed them. All of the people I have spoken to that have gotten visas through the chilean consulate have gotten them in 3 days tops so the fact that it will be 5 weeks is unbelievable to me! I dont know how we are supposed to plan tickets and such with this type of wait!

Thanks, Darnell for the response and patience pep talk!

Timeline:

May 2011 - engaged

Dec. 2011 - married

March 3, 2012 - NOA1

March 14, 2012 - NOA2

June 18, 2012 - Checklist received from NVC (to send forms that I am not even supposed to have!)

September 26, 2012 - Interview - supposedly approved but put on Administrative Processing :-(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The Guayaquil consulate also purportedly had printer problems around the time of our visa. Mechanical and technological breakdowns occur. Think about when an office computer goes on the fritz or the photocopy machine jams. It's frustrating, but hang in there, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Well but I wish they would've at least given us some kind of paper that said we were approved but they didn't. In fact the guy told us that he was giving us a paper that demonstrated we had gone to the interview, which unfortunately we didn't read in the moment. Outside of the embassy we read it and it said that we were missing papers and so ineligible....and that we have to come back with the other papers. I thought that was also very strange. I emailed the Consulate about, but we'll see what they say.

Timeline:

May 2011 - engaged

Dec. 2011 - married

March 3, 2012 - NOA1

March 14, 2012 - NOA2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I don't think 5 weeks is normal for printing issues- they sometimes happen, and I had a friend in Ireland it happend to, but that should take a few days, a week at the most, not 5 weeks.

Reading your initial post, I wondered if you missunderstood and were put in AP (ie approved pending security check or them wanting more documents for bonafide marriage or the I-864 supporting docs etc), and reading your update just now that seems to be the case. Was anything in particular checked or underlined on the paper?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hi everyone!

Well, we finally had our interview today, and the result was not fantastic. At the end of the interview they said we were approved, but told us that the Embassy was having some kind of problem printing visas or something like that, and so we might not get my husband's passport and visa back for up to 5 weeks. FIVE WEEKS!!! We tried to ask more questions, but they would not give us any more information. We don't know what to do....we were going to buy plane tickets and quit our jobs tomorrow, but now that we don't know when we will get the visa, all of our plans are postponed.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what we might do? I am emailing the local Embassy/Consulate right now to try to get more clarity, but what else can I do? Should I call the DOS? Who can possibly help us? Five weeks is an awfully long time to wait to even have an idea of when we can leave. And they didn't even sound 100% convinced that it would be less than five weeks.

Please help!!!

Thanks

You wait for the visa and then make your plans going forward. Visas are printed on a special machine and are secure (Think like printing money.) If the Embassy is having trouble printing visas, there's nothing you can do to rush them. They'll get you the visa as soon as they can print it.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Penguin, thanks for your response but I dont think that's the case. The CO clearly told us that everything was fine with our file, but the printing issues would hold us up.

Pushbrk and Darnell - im a bit confused, ate the visas printed in the embassies or does DOS do it and send them to embassies? In any case, should the DOS have all the last minute info on the visa or is it only the Embassy? Id like to at least have some way to get updates but of course there is no way to call the consulate, so is calling DOS my only option?

Timeline:

May 2011 - engaged

Dec. 2011 - married

March 3, 2012 - NOA1

March 14, 2012 - NOA2

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

Hey I has my interview yesterday as well and we got approved and they guy didn't say anything about printing issues he told me 2 weeks at the most and that's it.

Maybe you should call in. I think 5 weeks is BS

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Penguin, thanks for your response but I dont think that's the case. The CO clearly told us that everything was fine with our file, but the printing issues would hold us up.

Pushbrk and Darnell - im a bit confused, ate the visas printed in the embassies or does DOS do it and send them to embassies? In any case, should the DOS have all the last minute info on the visa or is it only the Embassy? Id like to at least have some way to get updates but of course there is no way to call the consulate, so is calling DOS my only option?

The visas are printed at the Embassies or Consulates but sometimes they have printing issues of one kind or another. They'll print and send your visa when they resolve those issues.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Well, there is a VISA, then there is the 'VISA PACKET'.

The Visa is printed then attached to the inside of the passport,

but

it's the VISA PACKET that is SENT OUT from the IV Unit to the Human receiving the Visa.

It contains:

1. yer passport with the VISA attached inside and

2. yer casefile, in an envelope that clearly states 'DO NOT OPEN'. It's the entire casefile. You become a personal courier for the Department of State, dropping off yer casefile with a CBP officer at a POE sometime in the future.

So, DoS Hotline knows of current casefile status, strongly suggest you call them TODAY, nowish, and inquire for current casefile status. Whilst you got that DoS Human on the phone, also ask 'Was my casefile put in Administrative Review or Administrative Processing?' as it's best to know this info early.

There are timeticks after interview day - you can learn of them by calling the DoS Hotline and inquiring for casefile status with a Human.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Ramey & Lo: thanks for posting your experience. I think I saw you at the interview then...were you wearing a flower in your hair and a pink shirt? In any case, congrats! So they told you two weeks tops? Perhaps it's different because it's K1 but I still find it strange... I'm going to get in touch with you via the personal messenger system, so perhaps we can keep in touch and you can update me when you get your visa...? I wish I could call in but I have no contact number for the Embassy, do you? All I have is the email address...

Pushbrk...thanks again for the response.

Darnell...thanks for your response. Will call DOS today and report back here what they tell me. Found the number in your profile. Just a question...what do you mean by "timeticks"?

Thanks!

Timeline:

May 2011 - engaged

Dec. 2011 - married

March 3, 2012 - NOA1

March 14, 2012 - NOA2

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Don't quit your job, don't buy tickets, don't do anything to make the move to the US without the visa in hand.

Just because a visa has been approved (even informally) doesn't mean it will be 100% correct when you get it. I know it's hard, you want to move on to what you both have been waiting for...but doing anything before you know the visa is correct (by verifying it with your own eyes) puts you at risk and you could have to deal with rescheduling your flight/go without employment until you get the final visa in hand.

I was also trying to think of things I could do to shortcut and make definitive plans when our visa issuance was delayed about 5 weeks, but VJ'ers consistently posted that I just need to wait until I have the visa in hand. They were correct.

Timeline

Thanks, Chrismanilyn.

I just called DOS...the woman told us they have not made a decision and that our visa is under "Administrative Processing." How is this possible if the man told us yesterday in person that we were approved? What can we do at this point? Any advice, suggestions, good vibes?

Thanks

Timeline:

May 2011 - engaged

Dec. 2011 - married

March 3, 2012 - NOA1

March 14, 2012 - NOA2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.