Neonred

Obama's Health Care Legacy

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Why jump Paul for stating his opinions on here. If people want to bring up personal matters in this forum then they do it at their own risk.

I gave my opinion. Are you saying Paul can state his opinion but I can't give mine? Seems hypocritical.

Speaking of personal matters, you can probably expect your self proclaimed "balls of steel" to be called into question if you keep getting so sensitive over these trivialities.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Interestingly enough, this is also the first year that insurance companies have been required by law to give rebates if they spend more than 20% on administrative costs. Sort of contradicts the original study.

:thumbs:

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Sure, it's a poor system compared to universal health care or the public option, but keep in mind that the only reason we couldn't get those is the Republicans. The ONLY reason.

So, when the current President had a supermajority in Congress and the Senate, and it was mathematically impossible for them to stop a bill passing both houses, the Republicans still managed to prevent the passage of single- payer healthcare?

How?

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Filed: Timeline
So, when the current President had a supermajority in Congress and the Senate, and it was mathematically impossible for them to stop a bill passing both houses, the Republicans still managed to prevent the passage of single- payer healthcare?

How?

Obama did not have a filibuster proof majority until July 2009 when Al Franken was sworn into office and after Arlen Specter had previously switched to caucus with the Democrats back in April of 2009. Problem is that a few short weeks after the Democrats had 60 votes in the Senate, Senator Kennedy passed away taking the Democrat majority back down to 59. Obama had a filibuster proof majority in the Senate for all of 6 weeks. And that is a majority only if you count Sen Liebermann who - while caucusing with the Democrats - actually campaigned against Obama during the 2008 election cycle. Obama did not have a filibuster proof majority for two years. I know facts suck but they're still facts.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

When was a single payer healthcare bill proposed in Congress?

Never. Just as there never was any way to actually pass single payer. Look, I would have liked Medicare for all. It's not in the cards. We're not burdened enough with this poor excuse for a health care system yet.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

STOP. Just stop right there. She was not able to obtain INSURANCE possibly because of her pre-existing condition, but health care - you could have obtained health care just fine. You would of just have to of paid for it yourself instead of demanding a company take on a risk and pay for it for you.

And if she didn't have the money? I suppose you are going to suggest she just borrow from her parents! :bonk:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

This year, in August, for the first time I can remember, the company where I work received a refund on the insurance premiums, for all employees, from CIGNA.

What an absolutely outrageous, unamerican thing to have happen. You know, of course, that is one of the evil elements of Obamacare! :rofl:

Timeline

Never. Just as there never was any way to actually pass single payer.

So, the Democrats are solely to blame, and Brother Hesekiel is incorrect in placing sole blame on the Republicans. How could they block a measure that the democrats didn't have the stomach to propose in the first place. Shame on them.

BTW, who did follow the late Senator Ted Kennedy in his Massachusetts Senate seat?

2011-11-15.garfield.png

So, the Democrats are solely to blame, and Brother Hesekiel is incorrect in placing sole blame on the Republicans. How could they block a measure that the democrats didn't have the stomach to propose in the first place. Shame on them.

BTW, who did follow the late Senator Ted Kennedy in his Massachusetts Senate seat?

Kennedy was replaced for a period of 3 months by some MA Democrat. That still left the Democrats with 58 Senators and two Independents that caucused with them - one of which opposed Obama and supported the McCain/Palin ticket in the 2008 general election. Not a filibuster proof majority any way you slice it. The Republicans, by the way, blocked every measure put forth. Are you suggesting they would have supported single payer? If you do, you need a reality check. And quick.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

Timeline

The Republican position is wholly irrelevant, when the Democrats never had the balls to propose a single payer healthcare bill. In fact, they couldn't stop falling over themselves to try and get as much of a payoff as possible for their votes for PPACA.

In fact, PPACA passed with a "strong majority" of 3 votes, when their majority in the House was 79 votes. And the final version of the bill never got a vote in the Senate and was put through on a budgetary manoeuvre.

So, in almost every respect, Democrats are to blame for what we have had foisted on us. They had the opportunity to do something truly worthwhile. They failed to take it.

Edited by Pooky

2011-11-15.garfield.png

The Republican position is wholly irrelevant, when the Democrats never had the balls to put propose a single payer healthcare bill.

I find a single payer system just as desirable as you do but that doesn't change the fact that nobody ran on single payer. That was never one of the proposals made. You're now failing the Democrats for not proposing something that they've never promised in the first place. It's like faulting the Republicans for not proposing tax increases to tackle the deficit.

Timeline

I find a single payer system just as desirable as you do but that doesn't change the fact that nobody ran on single payer. That was never one of the proposals made. You're now failing the Democrats for not proposing something that they've never promised in the first place. It's like faulting the Republicans for not proposing tax increases to tackle the deficit.

It was Brother Hesekiel, in his earlier post, who stated that the only reason we don't have a single payer system is because of the Republicans. I was just pointing out that his statement is complete BS. The Democrats screwed us out of that option without any Republican help.

2011-11-15.garfield.png

It was Brother Hesekiel, in his earlier post, who stated that the only reason we don't have a single payer system is because of the Republicans. I was just pointing out that his statement is complete BS. The Democrats screwed us out of that option without any Republican help.

That last sentence of yours is as much BS as the statement you were looking to refute. That said, I agree that fault for the absence of a single payer system cannot be put on the Republicans alone. Democrats are indeed just as responsible for that.