girlwithquestions

Recommend some good banks in the states.

32 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've never had problems doing it. Depositing checks via smartphone is awesome because I can easily deposit checks while I'm abroad if necessary.

I feel bad for not using a credit union, but I don't want to separate my credit card and checking account, and my credit card rewards with Chase are too good to give up. Savings are in Ally which has the best interest rate I've seen (not that that's saying much).

I was talking more about security measures. Sure its convenient, but may not be in your best interest!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey! I just wanted to let you know about a great experience I've had with PNC. I already opened a joint account with my fiance down in Ohio. After extensive research, they were the only bank local to him that would let us open a joint account while I only had Canadian ID. The lady was friendly and nice and she successfully opened an account for us together. Since my fiance has no credit, I urged him to go talk to her again since they were great with us initially. He went in a spoke with a different lady who was apparently just as knowledgeable and kind. She was able to set up him with a secured credit line. What was surprising was that she insisted I came down and talked to her when I moved, so that she can set up my credit based on my Canadian credentials. I have to admit I kind of started crying when I heard this because I was so upset to start back at scratch. Mind you, I haven't got to this stage yet, but they haven't done anything to cause me any reasonable doubt. If she can successfully transfer my credit I am going to be so much less stressed!!!

• 2 months later...

I am thinking of going with USAA. Has anyone tried to receive wire transfers from Canada through them? What are the fees like and is it a difficult process or can you do it all online?

Timeline

I am thinking of going with USAA. Has anyone tried to receive wire transfers from Canada through them? What are the fees like and is it a difficult process or can you do it all online?

Have USAA set up to receive Custom House (Now western Union) EFT transfers! At 1 time there was no fees--no fees on USAA part--Just on Westrern Unions! Love USAA, they are awesome

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Have USAA set up to receive Custom House (Now western Union) EFT transfers! At 1 time there was no fees--no fees on USAA part--Just on Westrern Unions! Love USAA, they are awesome

What about transferring from TD or RBC?

Timeline

not sure,prob best to call USAA and ask

Timeline

If you have RBC, then just get the RBC account in the US.

I have both and I transfer between them all of the time at my leisure.

RBC allows you to scan checks deposit them too (since there is not an RBC by me)

They also reimburse up to (2) (I think) ATM fees should you need to pull cash from an ATM that isn't RBC.

oldlady.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you have RBC, then just get the RBC account in the US.

I have both and I transfer between them all of the time at my leisure.

RBC allows you to scan checks deposit them too (since there is not an RBC by me)

They also reimburse up to (2) (I think) ATM fees should you need to pull cash from an ATM that isn't RBC.

I already have a Canadian RBC account so I am planning on going this route also.

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

Timeline

It doesn't work that way in the us. If you open an account and can do direct deposits then a chase account is free with unlimited transactions. If no direct deposit then 12 a month. I'm looking at the paperwork now. Almost all major us banks are like this and offer some sort of free checking account.

My rbc account is 3 per month with unlimited transactions.

Edited by KDH

oldlady.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.