girlwithquestions

Recommend some good banks in the states.

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So I think I will keep my Canadian bank ( TD)...Any recommendation on banks in the states. Btw, How to open TD USA account?

Jan,2008 we met each other for the first time
March 11,2010, I flew to Dallas to visit him. We started dating.
September, 2011, we made the most stupid mistake we could have, sending out packet I-129 application without putting in a single page of supporting document.
January 12,2012, we received our declined petition letter after 5 months :-(
January 20, 2012, I flew to Dallas to prepare the packet and sent out the fiance petition
January 23, 2012, we received our noa1
May 30,2012, we received our noa2
June 13,2012, Our case was forwarded to Montreal
July 4,2012, I received RFE
July 5, 2012, I sent out RFE
July 9,2012, Montreal received my RFE
July 16,2012, I sent out my Packet 3 (I did not call Montreal to confirm if they have sent out my Packet 3)
July 25,2012, I received my Packet 4 in email
September 4,2012 at 9:10 am, visa approved !!!
September 6,2012, Visa in hand
November 17,2012, POE in Chicago
February 09,2013, Wedding

March 16,2013, AOS package sent out

March 22,2013,NOA received.

January 31, 2014, Card production

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

So I think I will keep my Canadian bank ( TD)...Any recommendation on banks in the states. Btw, How to open TD USA account?

Bank of America is known for always attempting to charge crazy fees for just about anything.

If you can joina credit union you should consider that.

For TD Bank, it looks like you have to visit a branch in the US to open an account. http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-services/banking/north-american-banking-services/index.jsp

I like my RBC Canada and RBC US accounts for convenience. I opened them both from a branch here in Canada. But like TD they are mostly Eastern US right now. Although they (RBC US) have an app that you can deposit checks to, so if you aren't big on the cash thing it might be an okay starting off point for you as well.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Is your spouse in the USA military, or his parents!! We have USAA and love it!! and sort of piggy-backed off her parents, who piggy backed off his parents,lol Nothing but great service!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

we use our local credit union. they don't charge fees for anything and they're always personable and nice because it's a small operation. ultimately i suppose choosing a bank has to do more with what specific services you need..

The national chains seem to be the worst. Just look online at the banks that are in the location you are moving to and compare interest rates for savings accounts, and fees, etc. For instance, Bank Of America is currently running with a measly 0.01% interest rate on regular savings. The credit union I use is at 0.25%, a whopping 25x higher than BOA, though still measly :lol: . You might also want to look up other information like what online features they have, whether Quicken or (insert choice software here) works with their bank, etc.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/savings/compare-bank-rates-from-all-institutions.aspx

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Why not go with whatever your spouse to be has?

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Bank of America is one of the worst banks in the US. BoA charges lots of hidden fees. Google "Best and worst banks in the US" and you will see BoA listed as one of the worst.

USAA is fantastic. Everything is done by mail so deposits can take a bit longer than a local bank. There are limited branches. You may not have a branch in your city. However, you can use practically any ATM. USAA does not charge a fee when you use another bank's ATM. The other bank will charge a fee for using their ATM. USAA will give you a credit of up to $15 per month. Rarely have I ever had to pay to use an ATM.

Go with one of the local credit unions if you can. They will charge the least amount of fees. The credit unions operate in small geographical areas so you may face ATM charges if you travel to a city where your bank does not operate or have an agreement with local banks not to charge you a fee (not in ATM network).

If you travel a lot, a national bank would work better since you would not have to worry about ATM fees.

Timeline

Bank of America is one of the worst banks in the US. BoA charges lots of hidden fees. Google "Best and worst banks in the US" and you will see BoA listed as one of the worst.

USAA is fantastic. Everything is done by mail so deposits can take a bit longer than a local bank. There are limited branches. You may not have a branch in your city. However, you can use practically any ATM. USAA does not charge a fee when you use another bank's ATM. The other bank will charge a fee for using their ATM. USAA will give you a credit of up to $15 per month. Rarely have I ever had to pay to use an ATM.

Go with one of the local credit unions if you can. They will charge the least amount of fees. The credit unions operate in small geographical areas so you may face ATM charges if you travel to a city where your bank does not operate or have an agreement with local banks not to charge you a fee (not in ATM network).

If you travel a lot, a national bank would work better since you would not have to worry about ATM fees.

USAA allows you to SCAN and deposit your cheques!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Is your spouse in the USA military, or his parents!! We have USAA and love it!! and sort of piggy-backed off her parents, who piggy backed off his parents,lol Nothing but great service!!

USAA allows you to SCAN and deposit your cheques!!

Yup. Smartphones has change banking.

To clarify, anyone can open a banking account with USAA. USAA banking is open to everyone regardless of connections to the military. I have no connection to the US military, and I have been a USAA banking customer for over 10 years. USAA's other services such as insurance are only available to those with a qualifying US military connection (family relationship).

1) Make sure your bank is FDIC insured.

2) As previously suggested - if you will travel a lot within the U.S., go for a national chain (to avoid ATM fees).

3) If you will travel a lot in state, look for a bank with a big local footprint (to avoid ATM fees).

4) If you won't be traveling much at all, a local Credit Union could well be the best bet.

We have two accounts - one with First National Bank of Fort Collins (because of their extensive local ATM & branch network), and the other with Wells Fargo (due to its extensive nationwide network - particularly in the West).

I've not had to use another bank's ATM the entire time I've been in America. No problems with hidden fees from either. We got our mortgage through Wells Fargo too, and don't have a single complaint about them.

11-24-2006 Annette and I meet in Rome

09-09-2008 Engaged!

01-30-2009 Fiance petition filed

03-22-2009 Fiance petition approved. Case moves to U.S. embassy in London

04-01-2009 Package received from U.S. embassy in London

06-01-2009 Visa Medical (London)

06-23-2009 K1 Visa Interview (London)

06-27-2009 Passport returned by embassy. K1 Visa received!!

07-04-2009 Fly to Denver (port of entry - Houston, TX)

07-25-2009 We are married (the joint happiest day of my life)

08-07-2009 Social Security number obtained

08-20-2009 AOS, Advanced Parole and Employment Authorization forms filed

09-24-2009 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

10-05-2009 Advanced Parole received

10-09-2009 Employment Authorization received

10-13-2009 Colorado Learner's permit obtained and driving test scheduled

10-21-2009 Driving test taken and passed

11-30-2009 Green Card Interview (Centennial, CO)

12-08-2009 Green Card received

01-04-2010 Employed

01-28-2011 Our daughter is born (the other happiest day of my life)!

11-21-2011 Filed for Removal of Conditions

12-28-2011 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

03-16-2012 Card production ordered

03-23-2012 Card received

09-04-2012 Application for Naturalization filed

10-05-2012 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

12-11-2012 Naturalization Interview (Centennial, CO)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I went with Navy Federal Credit Union because my hubby is a veteran. They've been excellent thus far! They're only open to veterans and their immediate family, though.

Timeline

Yup. Smartphones has change banking.

To clarify, anyone can open a banking account with USAA. USAA banking is open to everyone regardless of connections to the military. I have no connection to the US military, and I have been a USAA banking customer for over 10 years. USAA's other services such as insurance are only available to those with a qualifying US military connection (family relationship).

Oops, my fault!! lol I never do any banking with my phone!! I know lot of very high techy people, and they say top avoid that like the plague. I just use my scanner at home.

Oops, my fault!! lol I never do any banking with my phone!! I know lot of very high techy people, and they say top avoid that like the plague. I just use my scanner at home.

I've never had problems doing it. Depositing checks via smartphone is awesome because I can easily deposit checks while I'm abroad if necessary.

I feel bad for not using a credit union, but I don't want to separate my credit card and checking account, and my credit card rewards with Chase are too good to give up. Savings are in Ally which has the best interest rate I've seen (not that that's saying much).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.