Confused785

Brought my cat with me

58 posts in this topic

I think it is pretty normal for CBP officers to suspec a person of being a possible immigration risk, if he/she is crossing the border with a pet and voluntarily states that the purpose of their visit is to visit an American citizen sweetheart. Most people who come to visit other countries for a few weeks do not bring their pets with them because 1) it is a hassle, 2) it is expensive, and 3) they aren't planning to move permanently. I think it's not surprising at all that they asked you some extra questions when you were crossing.

However - it is not your responsibility, at this point, to prove you didn't have intent - it would be USCIS's burden to show you did. As has been stated on this forum many times, intent alone cannot be used as basis for denying an AOS application. There would have to be other negative factors against your case that combined with the intent would form basis for denial - IF intent could be proven.

The only thing I could imagine becoming an issue would be if you had been directly asked if your plan was to marry and immigrate by filing AOS in the US, you had explicitly said no, and this would have gone on the record. I am not clear on what exactly are the basis for material misrepresentation, but I could see that kind of a scenario being inbterpreted as misrepresentation. If this did not happen, I don't think you'll have any problems.

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

When you go through CBP they ask you questions and is it the answers to your questions that they are typing into thier computer?

I don't remember all the questions they asked and for some they did I don't actually remember what my answers were. I remember him asking about my cat which I remember what my answer was. The purpose of my visit business or pleasure I said pleasure And im pretty sure I mentioned I was visiting my bf at the time because I remember saying how we met and it being brought up if he had ever been to canada to visit me. But I dont actually remember if it was the last cbp I had or the one before that when i came here for 2 weeks to visit.

All I have as ties to my home country is My name was on a house that we were currently renting with family which im not sure if its been updated so far. And then of course my entire family. Thats pretty much all.

Which I also told the CBP officer. He said that next time I should bring more information to show ties to my home country when going through customs because it can raise red flags. I said I understand.

Then he stamped my passport with the B2 and said enjoy your trip.I guess given the small amount of information I do have to tie me to my home country that there was enough for them to suspect me of immigrating. My boyfriend paid for my ticket to and from the US. California is the only place I have travelled with my passport.

Is there any return date on this stamp in your passport?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You should only be worried if your cat can talk. :lol:

Bringing your cat with you doesn't show intent, if it did the CBP officer would have denied you entry. No worries, you'll be fine.

You can't believe anything cats or sheep say. Seriously, if someone brought their animal it would appear they wanted to stay to me.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

You can't believe anything cats or sheep say. Seriously, if someone brought their animal it would appear they wanted to stay to me.

In the case of someone staying in the states for an extended period of time(in this case 30 days), I would think it to be normal to bring their pet, otherwise they either have to pay to keep the pet at a kennel, or impose on someone to take care of the pet. Neither of those are a reasonable option for a prolonged stay.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Well the cbp did not ask me if i was planning to come to the US get married and stay. And of course had he.. I would have answered no. I didnt even know 6 months was allowed for me at the time. I was happy though when I found out it was lol

The stamp in my passport is the same identical one i got when i came for 2 weeks in the summer before. Its kinda like an oval sideways says Admitted HFX on the top. The only date on it in red is the date I got the stamp January 14 2011 and then the line under it says Class Until and it sayd B-2. No other dates other than that.

9Kuhpko.jpg9Kuhm7.png

event.png

Well the cbp did not ask me if i was planning to come to the US get married and stay. And of course had he.. I would have answered no. I didnt even know 6 months was allowed for me at the time. I was happy though when I found out it was lol

The stamp in my passport is the same identical one i got when i came for 2 weeks in the summer before. Its kinda like an oval sideways says Admitted HFX on the top. The only date on it in red is the date I got the stamp January 14 2011 and then the line under it says Class Until and it sayd B-2. No other dates other than that.

The reason I asked was because it is unusual for a Canadian to receive a passport stamp when entering as a tourist, unless the stamp is for a mandatory return date, an I-94. Sometimes it happens, but not usually. I just wanted to make sure that you weren't accruing illegal presence. So no dated return stamp means you're fine.

Timeline

Yeah I thought it was always normal to have your passport stamped. Its actually one of the things I was excited about having a passport was filling it up with stamps lol as weird as that might sound.

But I did get the identical stamp in the summer time.. Only difference with the entire stamp is the date in red was the day i flew in the summer. Im assuming that if I had a return date.. the return date would have been what was written in place of the B2 ?

9Kuhpko.jpg9Kuhm7.png

event.png

Yeah I thought it was always normal to have your passport stamped. Its actually one of the things I was excited about having a passport was filling it up with stamps lol as weird as that might sound.

But I did get the identical stamp in the summer time.. Only difference with the entire stamp is the date in red was the day i flew in the summer. Im assuming that if I had a return date.. the return date would have been what was written in place of the B2 ?

They would have written in or stamped an expiration date, but it would be clearly stated that it's a return date.

Timeline

Well I guess I dont have that to worry about then. Im sure Im just overthinking my entire situation especially since the process hasn't yet begun.

I worry that i don't have enough proof of returning to my home country. All I really have is my return ticket which I've read in other posts isnt usually enough. And other than that I might be able to get a hold of the rental agreement that i was on before I left.

I do have a bank account there, but its been so long now that I don't even remember the pin number to it.

I read that when going to the interview usually the case of intent isn't even brought up, but I'd feel safer covering all my ends . I wasn't working before I left , I was on unemployment so I have no paystubs to show either. I had lost my job pf 7 years just under a year previous to me coming to the US in january 2011. I didn't get another job because I was making the same amount of money on unemployment as I was at the job I had lost. With the economy being so bad and not enough jobs as there is.. I figured atleast I could still pay my bills and rent with having the right amount of money still coming in.

At te interview, Ive read where people have been asked the question for example " did u come in on a b2?" Id say yes and then asked " have you returned home since POE" and i would answer no. Other than those types of questions has anyone ever heard of other people who were asked more on intent and POE ? I had no intent on staying when I came over... But to answer the question of whether or nnot i had intended to marry and adjust. All i could really answer is no.

9Kuhpko.jpg9Kuhm7.png

event.png

Well I guess I dont have that to worry about then. Im sure Im just overthinking my entire situation especially since the process hasn't yet begun.

I worry that i don't have enough proof of returning to my home country. All I really have is my return ticket which I've read in other posts isnt usually enough. And other than that I might be able to get a hold of the rental agreement that i was on before I left.

I do have a bank account there, but its been so long now that I don't even remember the pin number to it.

I read that when going to the interview usually the case of intent isn't even brought up, but I'd feel safer covering all my ends . I wasn't working before I left , I was on unemployment so I have no paystubs to show either. I had lost my job pf 7 years just under a year previous to me coming to the US in january 2011. I didn't get another job because I was making the same amount of money on unemployment as I was at the job I had lost. With the economy being so bad and not enough jobs as there is.. I figured atleast I could still pay my bills and rent with having the right amount of money still coming in.

At te interview, Ive read where people have been asked the question for example " did u come in on a b2?" Id say yes and then asked " have you returned home since POE" and i would answer no. Other than those types of questions has anyone ever heard of other people who were asked more on intent and POE ? I had no intent on staying when I came over... But to answer the question of whether or nnot i had intended to marry and adjust. All i could really answer is no.

Yes, you are over thinking things, but it's normal. As for intent, it would now be up to USCIS to prove that you had intent to immigrate when you entered the states. The POE officer came to the conclusion that you had no intent to immigrate so it would be extremely difficult for USCIS to prove otherwise, you would pretty much have to admit it to them. You don't have to worry about ties to Canada any longer because you are in the US now, and clearly your circumstances have changed and you do intend to immigrate. That's all perfectly legal, it's exactly what my wife and I did.

Just worry about getting the process started, everything else will be fine. The quicker you get your advanced parole and EAD the quicker you can start leading a normal life here. Just be sure you don't leave the country until you get advanced parole, or you won't be allowed back in, and that will throw a major wrench into your plans.

Timeline

Thanks Teddy :)

My husband keeps telling me to stop dwelling on the entire situation cuz its eating me up lol

One more question though, I was so nervous coming through at the POE like I said before that the CBP officer was really scary which is definately what made me nervous, Though i know he was just doing his job .

But I think my nervousness then is what is making it difficult for me to remember any answers to the questions. Im getting them all mixed up with the visit in July 2010 when I answered questions from a different CBP officer.

I know what one of them I explained my relationship with my husband to because I mentioned him coming to canada twice to see me. But I really don't remember if it was the first or second time. In both cases I could swear I said I was coming to visit my bf. But I may have said a guy Im seeing or something along those lines. Either way I just can't remember my exact answers. I guess I didnt realize I would really have to remember what my answers were as I didnt foresee this part of my journey at that moment :/

Edited by Confused785

9Kuhpko.jpg9Kuhm7.png

event.png

Thanks Teddy :)

My husband keeps telling me to stop dwelling on the entire situation cuz its eating me up lol

One more question though, I was so nervous coming through at the POE like I said before that the CBP officer was really scary which is definately what made me nervous, Though i know he was just doing his job .

But I think my nervousness then is what is making it difficult for me to remember any answers to the questions. Im getting them all mixed up with the visit in July 2010 when I answered questions from a different CBP officer.

I know what one of them I explained my relationship with my husband to because I mentioned him coming to canada twice to see me. But I really don't remember if it was the first or second time. In both cases I could swear I said I was coming to visit my bf. But I may have said a guy Im seeing or something along those lines. Either way I just can't remember my exact answers. I guess I didnt realize I would really have to remember what my answers were as I didnt foresee this part of my journey at that moment :/

You came to visit your boyfriend, end of story. They're not going to ask you any more than that, if it even comes up at all. They'll know you entered on the visitor visa, they're not going to nit pick you for what your plans were in January 2012 or in 2010 for that matter. What they will be interested in the most is that your marriage is legit. So make sure you get plenty of things together to prove this. I believe I gave you a list of things in another thread, if not let me know and I'll give them to you. Also read the guides on this board, they are very helpful. Other than that, relax, have a few beers and wait for your interview.

Timeline

Yeah Ive been working really hard on making sure i have hard copies of showing our lives together. Ive currently put together our wedding album, or atleast the start of it. This day and age so many things are online, including my entire lifes worth of pictures atleast the last 10 years worth anyway. So I've currently started going to walmart and printing pictures out. Luckily for me I've never deleted a single pictures. And even my camera on numerous different chips ofc lol Has every picture ever taken since the day I met my husband. I just dont have the heart to delete them from the chips.

I have our shared tax document for this last year including my tax id number or whatever its called. We tried to put me on his bank account but they said he needs a ssn for me. Also at his new work he tried to file in the tax part that he was married but they clearly said if his spouse is an alien then he has to file as single.

We have his life insurance with my name on it has the beneficiary. If need be Im sure I can get tons of letters from friends and family on both sides to prove the nature of our relationship.

Working on getting my name on the bills but currently its only his name on the bills. Though I did sign a rental agreement when we moved to our current address in June of 2011.If theres anything else that would help me other than the typical marriage cert birth cert documentation, please let me know so i can work on getting those things together as well.

Also I've read on so many different interview stories that the couple had thier lawyer go to the interview with them. I remember my lawyer saying that he doesn't attend the interview with us he just goes over the process beforehand. He said in his experience as a Canadian it generally goes pretty quickly whereas Canadians are less likely to want to immigrate to the US to gain something. The only thing I gather from that is maybe he was refering to the medical side of things where in Canada there's alot we don't have to pay for that's covered .

I worry about the POE questions mainly because of the misrepresentation side of things. I don't want to say anything wrong that could result in that.

9Kuhpko.jpg9Kuhm7.png

event.png

Yeah Ive been working really hard on making sure i have hard copies of showing our lives together. Ive currently put together our wedding album, or atleast the start of it. This day and age so many things are online, including my entire lifes worth of pictures atleast the last 10 years worth anyway. So I've currently started going to walmart and printing pictures out. Luckily for me I've never deleted a single pictures. And even my camera on numerous different chips ofc lol Has every picture ever taken since the day I met my husband. I just dont have the heart to delete them from the chips.

I have our shared tax document for this last year including my tax id number or whatever its called. We tried to put me on his bank account but they said he needs a ssn for me. Also at his new work he tried to file in the tax part that he was married but they clearly said if his spouse is an alien then he has to file as single.We have his life insurance with my name on it has the beneficiary. If need be Im sure I can get tons of letters from friends and family on both sides to prove the nature of our relationship.

Working on getting my name on the bills but currently its only his name on the bills. Though I did sign a rental agreement when we moved to our current address in June of 2011.If theres anything else that would help me other than the typical marriage cert birth cert documentation, please let me know so i can work on getting those things together as well.

Also I've read on so many different interview stories that the couple had thier lawyer go to the interview with them. I remember my lawyer saying that he doesn't attend the interview with us he just goes over the process beforehand. He said in his experience as a Canadian it generally goes pretty quickly whereas Canadians are less likely to want to immigrate to the US to gain something. The only thing I gather from that is maybe he was refering to the medical side of things where in Canada there's alot we don't have to pay for that's covered .

I worry about the POE questions mainly because of the misrepresentation side of things. I don't want to say anything wrong that could result in that.

That's bad info you got from the bank and his work. You most definitely can get a joint account without a SSN. There are a few banks that won't allow it simply because it's their bank policy, but it'sd definitely legal to do so. He should talk to a manager to get it done, if that doesn't work, talk to a general manager, or go to another bank that will open the account. He can also claim you on his taxes as a dependant if you've lived with him for more than 6 months. He will also have to file as married in the upcoming tax year of 2011. When you said you had a shared tax document, did you mean that you filed a joint tax return?

It sounds like you've got a pretty good list of things started. Get on everything and anything you can with your new married name. Go to the stores and sign up for their mailing list and store cards in your new name, get whatever free magazine subscriptions you can sent to the house. Have him add you as an authorized user on his credit cards so you'll get cards in your name with the same account number as his. Have him add you tohis auto insurance policy. If you're not already on his health insurance, get on that too. If they tell you that you can't, tell them yes you can. Keep all of your wedding cards and anything that shows the two of you having a life together.

Have you thought about foregoing the lawyer and his/her fees and doing this on your own? You could take the retainer money and get all of your forms filed tomorrow. Is there anything in particular that makes you think you need an attorney?

Edited by Teddy B

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.