pumpkinseed

Worried about the AP/EAD combo card while traveling

8 posts in this topic

Hello Visa Journey friends!! It's been a while since I wrote here! First, a little update on my case - let's just say I'm happy I didn't pay a civil sergeon to transcribe my vaccination records, because my entire medical record ended up lost!! How lovely, right, here goes more money for immigration!

I am currently visiting my family in Bulgaria. I will be travelling back in a couple of weeks and I searched information here about the AP/EAD combo card, and honestly some stories make me worried!! Really worried! Some people were denied/delayed boarding on the plane to the USA due to ignorant employees who don't know what AP card is- #$%@%$^!@^!$%^!^??? Seriously? How do we fight ignorance?? I plan on bringing that piece of paper from the USCIS that came with the card explaining what it is, also print another explanation from their website, and maybe e-mailing them on the matter and printing the e-mail to bring to the airport...

Any other suggestions?

Also, does anybody have any experience boarding a plane to the US in Zurich, Switz.? I will be flying with US airways

Thank you all in advance!

**Removal of conditions**

10/01/2014 Package sent to California Service Center

10/03/2014 NOA1

10/10/2014 Received Biometrics Appointment Letter, Biometrics scheduled for 10/30/14

10/22/2014 Early Biometrics Walk-in - Cleveland, OH - weird experience with the clerk there - told me I can go ahead and get my biometrics taken early, but it might be too early and it might not go through??? If it might be a problem, then why let me do it at all?

02/10/2015 New Biometrics letter received, Biometrics scheduled for 03/09/15- I guess that clerk was right??

03/09/2015 Second biometrics

..waiting..

5/15/2015 Put in a service request online - outside of processing time

5/18/2015 Approved!

5/23/2015 Card in hand

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello Visa Journey friends!! It's been a while since I wrote here! First, a little update on my case - let's just say I'm happy I didn't pay a civil sergeon to transcribe my vaccination records, because my entire medical record ended up lost!! How lovely, right, here goes more money for immigration!

I am currently visiting my family in Bulgaria. I will be travelling back in a couple of weeks and I searched information here about the AP/EAD combo card, and honestly some stories make me worried!! Really worried! Some people were denied/delayed boarding on the plane to the USA due to ignorant employees who don't know what AP card is- #$%@%$^!@^!$%^!^??? Seriously? How do we fight ignorance?? I plan on bringing that piece of paper from the USCIS that came with the card explaining what it is, also print another explanation from their website, and maybe e-mailing them on the matter and printing the e-mail to bring to the airport...

Any other suggestions?

Also, does anybody have any experience boarding a plane to the US in Zurich, Switz.? I will be flying with US airways

Thank you all in advance!

Why do you expect people in other countries to know all about an AP card? It is not a very common item.

If you are concerned and wanted to avoid problems, rather than encounter an "ignorant person", you could contact the airline and ask about the boarding in Zurich.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Don't freak out. There is no reason to. I have not seen anyone who missed their flight due to this. People use this card every day. It will work out fine. I see people get scared about the ROC extension letter too, and on my recent international flight, the crew knew exactly what all the odd US papers and cards were.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Why do you expect people in other countries to know all about an AP card? It is not a very common item.

If you are concerned and wanted to avoid problems, rather than encounter an "ignorant person", you could contact the airline and ask about the boarding in Zurich.

Thank you for your answer! You are right, it's not common, but also we are talking about people whose job is to check documents required for boarding a plane - and really I think they should know what documents are accepted.

Good advice, I will definitely contact the airline! Thanks again :)

Don't freak out. There is no reason to. I have not seen anyone who missed their flight due to this. People use this card every day. It will work out fine. I see people get scared about the ROC extension letter too, and on my recent international flight, the crew knew exactly what all the odd US papers and cards were.

I will try to stay cool about it! B-)

I tend to worry about silly things...

Thank you for your reply!

10/03/2014 NOA1

10/10/2014 Received Biometrics Appointment Letter, Biometrics scheduled for 10/30/14

10/22/2014 Early Biometrics Walk-in - Cleveland, OH - weird experience with the clerk there - told me I can go ahead and get my biometrics taken early, but it might be too early and it might not go through??? If it might be a problem, then why let me do it at all?

02/10/2015 New Biometrics letter received, Biometrics scheduled for 03/09/15- I guess that clerk was right??

..waiting..

5/18/2015 Approved!

5/23/2015 Card in hand

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I just wanted to let you guys how everything went with my Advance Parole. I came back to the U.S. a few days ago. I had to explain what the AP card was to at least 5 airline employees - first in Bulgaria upon check-in - they were very friendly but just haven't seen that card I suppose, so the guy called his supervisor who has heard of it, but not seen it. It really helped that I had that little piece of paper which explains the combo card and which comes in the mail with it when you receive it. He read the explanation and had no problem with checking me in. Then in Switzerland - the first lady at Passport control before boarding the plane to the U.S. was very confused that I don't have a visa or a green card and why I was trying to board with some other card; she also tried to convince me to fill in an ESTA (my country is not in the visa waiver program). She was really nice though and trying to understand what it was that I had. I showed her the explanation letter too, she read it and seemed to be satisfied with it; then she called her supervisor too and she told her it was ok. So they gave me the OK to board the plane and sent me to get a boarding card at the US Airways desk. There, again, a confused employee. :) Explanation letter, again. Employee understood. I boarded the plane (Yay!!!) All in all, people were nice to me and it didn't take them a long time to resolve the issue, but it did make me a little nervous.

My POE was in Philadelphia. I went through the US citizens/Permanent residents line which was reaaally fast - the officer there was extremely nice and knew exactly what he was doing. He sent me to secondary processing and people there were very fast and professional, too. The whole thing took me around 10 min. It was great!

My advice is - when travelling with the combo card, bring that explanation letter that came in the mail with it. It really helped me. I also had the FAQ about the AP card from the USCIS website printed out just in case.

Good luck!

10/03/2014 NOA1

..waiting..

5/18/2015 Approved!

5/23/2015 Card in hand

• 2 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge! I am freaking out for the same. I have an upcoming trip to colombia and will use ead/ap combo card (after approval of course). I will definitively carry everything as I believe in Colombia the airline employees might not know what that document is for.

:)

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge! I am freaking out for the same. I have an upcoming trip to colombia and will use ead/ap combo card (after approval of course). I will definitively carry everything as I believe in Colombia the airline employees might not know what that document is for.

AOS for parent Journey 

04/12/2021 → Filed I-130 online for parent (easier and didn't have AOS docs ready)

04/13/2021 → I-130 NOA1 available online

04/19/2021 → I-130 NOA1 Mail 

05/03/2021 → Sent through Fedex I-485 (with I-840 and sealed I-693 and I-130 NOA1 copy) I-765 I-131

05/06/2021 → Delivered to USCIS with signature confirmation.

05/25/2021 → Fingerprint Fee Was Received
05/26/2021 → Got text messages for I-485, I-765 and I-131 with receipt numbers.

05/27/2021 → Check cashed.

06/02/2021 → 3 NOAs for I-485, I-765 and I-131 arrived in the mail.

06/30/2021 → I485 online status update "Request for Initial Evidence"

07/06/2021 → RFIE letter arrived in the mail (I864 with 2020 tax return and w2s, 1090s)

07/23/2021 → Sent RFIE response through Fedex.

07/27/2021 → RFIE Response Delivered to USCIS with signature confirmation.

07/28/2021 → Status update RFIE response received. Working on case again. 

08/30/2021→Biometrics notice (no online case status update)

09/07/2021→ Biometrics letter arrived in the mail

09/22/2021 → Biometrics appointment completed. Online status updated 3 hours later to "Fingerprints Were Taken".

09/23/2021 → I-485 Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview.

10/22/2021 → I-130 - Case is being actively reviewed by USCIS

11/30/2021 → I-765 - Case approved.

12/01/2021 → I-131 - Case approved.

12/08/2021 → I-765 - Combo Card delivered.

01/03/2022 → SS Card delivered! (From Combo card application)

03/02/2022 → Interview scheduled. Notice coming in the mail soon.

03/17/2022 → I-130 Approved! Noa in the mail two days later.

03/31/2022 → Interview day and I-485 Card produced by the time we were leaving.
04/01/2022 → Case approved

04/04/2022 → NOA Case Approved arrived in the mail.
04/07/2022 → Parent's Green card in hand!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

We recently came through Sao Paulo, Brazil and this was the first time this person has seen the card also. Although it caused a delay of about 30 minutes while they checked with immigrations we went through with no problems and they were very nice about the whole thing trying to keep us updated. I suspect it will just take some time before people are used to the new EAD/AP card.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

We recently came through Sao Paulo, Brazil and this was the first time this person has seen the card also. Although it caused a delay of about 30 minutes while they checked with immigrations we went through with no problems and they were very nice about the whole thing trying to keep us updated. I suspect it will just take some time before people are used to the new EAD/AP card.

Thank you so much for the info! Yeah I guess it will take some time. Even someone from emigration in Colombia was not familiar with my k1 visa and had to ask about it. I guess I will just need to be patient while they do what they gotta do :) as you said while they get used to it! it's been just like a year since these combo cards are in use I guess :bonk:

AOS for parent Journey 

04/12/2021 → Filed I-130 online for parent (easier and didn't have AOS docs ready)

04/13/2021 → I-130 NOA1 available online

04/19/2021 → I-130 NOA1 Mail 

05/03/2021 → Sent through Fedex I-485 (with I-840 and sealed I-693 and I-130 NOA1 copy) I-765 I-131

05/06/2021 → Delivered to USCIS with signature confirmation.

05/25/2021 → Fingerprint Fee Was Received
05/26/2021 → Got text messages for I-485, I-765 and I-131 with receipt numbers.

05/27/2021 → Check cashed.

06/02/2021 → 3 NOAs for I-485, I-765 and I-131 arrived in the mail.

06/30/2021 → I485 online status update "Request for Initial Evidence"

07/06/2021 → RFIE letter arrived in the mail (I864 with 2020 tax return and w2s, 1090s)

07/23/2021 → Sent RFIE response through Fedex.

07/27/2021 → RFIE Response Delivered to USCIS with signature confirmation.

07/28/2021 → Status update RFIE response received. Working on case again. 

08/30/2021→Biometrics notice (no online case status update)

09/07/2021→ Biometrics letter arrived in the mail

09/22/2021 → Biometrics appointment completed. Online status updated 3 hours later to "Fingerprints Were Taken".

09/23/2021 → I-485 Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview.

10/22/2021 → I-130 - Case is being actively reviewed by USCIS

11/30/2021 → I-765 - Case approved.

12/01/2021 → I-131 - Case approved.

12/08/2021 → I-765 - Combo Card delivered.

03/02/2022 → Interview scheduled. Notice coming in the mail soon.

03/17/2022 → I-130 Approved! Noa in the mail two days later.

03/31/2022 → Interview day and I-485 Card produced by the time we were leaving.
04/01/2022 → Case approved

04/04/2022 → NOA Case Approved arrived in the mail.
04/07/2022 → Parent's Green card in hand!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.