Asim A

NADRA in Pakistan - I need a better understanding

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hello,

I think she was mislead by a family member of hers who told her that she needs to get her passport made *after marriage" so my name can be on it. She didn't ask me to double check so I could have researched. So now the NADRA office in Hyderabad told her that "because your husband is an American living in NY, he is not a Pakistani citizen so he will need to ask the embassy in NY to send a letter."

Is all that necessary? if she makes the I.D./Passport without mentioning marriage, will that affect her interview in a year or so when I apply for her soon?

I don't know how the country I was born in works =) Is it harder now to get things done or do I need to "pay off" someone (grin). Please let me know.

Edited by Asim A

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi Asim,

I am not expert here but I will try to answer your Post as per my personal experience.

It is not necessary to have her passport name change from her maiden name to her marriage name.

It would be nice to have your name as her husband on her Passport which will be a positive thing on your case as it will be CR1 case of a US Citizen Spouse.

I did the same thing with my wife NADRA ID card & Passport. First, I had her changed her NADRA ID card on my name as her husband instead of her father name and also her last name changed to my last name (NADRA always changed last name to husband name once issued ID card after marriage).

1) You need to have your NADRA ID card as she will need your NADRA ID card copy and Nikah Nama (Marriage Certificate) to have her NADRA ID card change to your name and her last name to your name.

2) Once she will have her new NADRA ID card issued (make sure you request urgent service and it will cost more then regular service and she will get in a week) then she need to fill Passport application and she need to submit your NADRA ID card copy, Her new NADRA ID card copy, Nikah Nama (Marriage Certificate), her Parents NADRA ID card copies and Your Parents NADRA Card copies (They asked her at Passport office to my wife) and do it urgent and you will get it in 10 to 12 business days.

My wife passport was never made before so she made it first time. Her Police Certificate (PCC) also made on her marriage name (Pplice verifies info on the Passport of your wife and also from NADRA ID copy of her to make PCC) and both of her addresses before marriage and after marriage were showed in the PCC certificate (No PCC was made on her Maiden name).

Now,let me tell you that when I was there in Karachi after marriage I made my NICOP card from NADRA. So, in this way I don't have to get Pakistan Visa on a US Passport and I submitted my NADRA ID Card copy and US Passport copy and I did mentioned my US address for NICOP ID card and my NICOP ID card issued on the base of my Original Urdu NADRA ID Card.

I still have my Original Urdu NADRA ID card and NICOP card as they only asked for the copy of my NADRA ID card and return me back the Original Urdu NADRA ID card.

So, you are Citizen of Pakistan and US both (Pakistan and US both allow Dual Nationality) and you are born Pakistani so wherever you live you are still Pakistan Citizen and it is wrong that you are no more Pakistan Citizen.

Now it is up to you how you want to proceed.

Hope the info I provided will help you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from CR-1 Process to Asia: South regional subforum, for better concentration of country-specific answers. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Saj and Anam,

I was born in 1986 and came to the U.S. in 1988. I am currently in NYC. Is it possible/necessary for me to still have a NADRA I.D. card made?

I want to make it easiest on my wife as I can, but they won't accept my NY State I.D. and I am not in PK. I am only an American Citizen and she is only a PK citizen.

Your help is much appreciated and thank you very much for sharing your experience. It is very helpful...

Please correct me if I am not doing this right.

Saj and Anam,

I was born in 1986 and came to the U.S. in 1988. I am currently in NYC. Is it possible/necessary for me to still have a NADRA I.D. card made?

I want to make it easiest on my wife as I can, but they won't accept my NY State I.D. and I am not in PK. I am only an American Citizen and she is only a PK citizen.

Your help is much appreciated and thank you very much for sharing your experience. It is very helpful...

Please correct me if I am not doing this right.

If you were born in pakistan, then you must have birth certificate from their. Following link might help you

NADRA

In above link, you will find information for POC card, i think it will solve your issue.

USCIS / CSC:

27/02/2012: Sent I-130 to Chicago Lockbox

03/01/2012: NOA1

06/18/2012: NOA2 in email

06/23/2012: NOA2 in hand

NVC:

07/09/2012: NVC received

07/26/2012: Case number/IIN - wrong embassy..grrrr

07/26/2012: DS-3032 sent (Emailed)

07/30/2012: New Case number

07/30/2012: AOS bill

07/31/2012: AOS bill shows PAID

08/01/2012: AOS package sent

08/02/2012: AOS package delivered

08/02/2012: DS-3032 accepted

08/03/2012: IV bill

08/06/2012: IV bill shows PAID

08/06/2012: IV package sent0

8/07/2012: IV package delivered

08/14/2012: Case complete

09/14/2012: Interview scheduled

US Embassy Abu Dhabi:

09/15/2012: Medical

10/02/2012: Interview *Result: AP*

12/31/2013: Visa in hand

03/19/2014: ELIS fee paid

03/20/2014: POE ABU DHABI / Chicago

IN USA:

04/03/2014: SSN applied

04/08/2014: SSN received

05/21/2014: Welcome letter received

05/22/2014: 10 years GC arrived in mail

Timeline

If you were born in pakistan, then you must have birth certificate from their. Following link might help you

NADRA

In above link, you will find information for POC card, i think it will solve your issue.

Hm. I guess I'll just apply for the I-130 instead of changing her name since doing the application for the POC seems time consuming. The link was very helpful though. Thank you for the reply!

I wonder what this remains true for the POC process...

Note:

In case of doubt , any supporting document may be demanded.

Issuance of POC to foreign spouses is temporarily banned.

For further details please refer to the checklist in related downloads or call us on our UAN number 111-786-100.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would provide some input.

I know of people who did not change their name on their passports, CNIC, or nikah namah. They had no issues during the immigration process whatsoever.

Many people think it is a requirement and will make things go smoother, but in my experience there is no issue with not changing it.

Edited by pm5k

Obligatory disclaimer:  Not a lawyer.  Posts are written based on my own research and based on whatever information is provided.  Consult an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.