Once upon a time

My Fiance was put into AP. Can someone help?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Salaam(Peace) all,

My fiance and I really need your help.

I'm very upset and saddened right now.

Here's our story: My fiance and I met 3 years ago and applied for K1 visa late last year. We gave them all the evidence that they needed (pictures, forms, and what nots) and we finally got an interview date on Sept. 20th.

My fiance went to his interview today around 8:00am (his time) and it was a very short interview (maybe 5mins). In the end, they told him that he will likely become a charge of the state since I don't have a job and can't support him. (I never had a real job because I was still in school and when I finally did get a real job, after I was done with school, it only lasted for 2 months) My fiance told the man that my mom is cosponsoring with me since she makes way over the 125% poverty line but the man said the K1 visa doesn't allow any co-sponsorship and gave him a letter saying he was going into AP until we fix this.

Just when I thought we were so close to being together after being apart for 3 years this sets us back.

My questions are:

1. Was the man interviewing my fiancee telling the truth? (you can't have someone cosponsoring with your K1 visa)

2. Should I contact our congressman?

(In the meantime, (like always) I've been applying and searching for jobs, hopefully I will find one soon! )

~Aaisha~

Timeline

Salaam(Peace) all,

My fiance and I really need your help.

I'm very upset and saddened right now.

Here's our story: My fiance and I met 3 years ago and applied for K1 visa late last year. We gave them all the evidence that they needed (pictures, forms, and what nots) and we finally got an interview date on Sept. 20th.

My fiance went to his interview today around 8:00am (his time) and it was a very short interview (maybe 5mins). In the end, they told him that he will likely become a charge of the state since I don't have a job and can't support him. (I never had a real job because I was still in school and when I finally did get a real job, after I was done with school, it only lasted for 2 months) My fiance told the man that my mom is cosponsoring with me since she makes way over the 125% poverty line but the man said the K1 visa doesn't allow any co-sponsorship and gave him a letter saying he was going into AP until we fix this.

Just when I thought we were so close to being together after being apart for 3 years this sets us back.

My questions are:

1. Was the man interviewing my fiancee telling the truth? (you can't have someone cosponsoring with your K1 visa)

2. Should I contact our congressman?

(In the meantime, (like always) I've been applying and searching for jobs, hopefully I will find one soon! )

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Do you live with your mom? As in one household?

Because when my fince went for his interview which was on the 17th of this month, they had told him they dont accept co sponsors. But they still took my moms and my cousins I-134's.im assuming they accepted it..im not working either.but its because my dad does dialysis and im the one taking him...

My fiance didnt get a decision yet becuz he had forgotten my I-134 form at home by accident.but the Consular just told him to submit the form and wait cause he cannot process his papers without it.

So they took his paperworks? Even your moms I-134?

Timeline

I had 2 co sponsors.my moms and my cousins.we live in one household. Maybe u should try finding another sponsor within ur household?

Yes, me and my mom live in one household and they kept our paperwork and said that they weren't sending it back to USCIS which is good. But it was filed under section 221g. Maybe in the morning I should call the embassy to see if we can do that.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

From some of the stories I have read, the reason your fiance is on AP has more to do with the country he is from. Some Embassies do allow cosponsors so you should look at your country specific portal to get a better outlook. Hopefully the AP won't last long. Good luck.

08/01/12-Married08/17/12-Applied for Social Security Card09/23/12-Husband received his Social Security card!09/27/12-Filed AOS09/28/12-AOS package received10/01/12-Text message from USCIS10/03/12-Check cashed10/09/12-NOA1 for I485,I765,I131 AND Biometrics Appointment Letter10/24/12-Biometrics Appointment12/11/12-EAD and AP Approved-75 days12/14/12-EAD/AP Card Production ordered12/21/12-EAD/AP Card came in the mail06/22/13-Green Card Approved06/27/13-Greed Card Production Ordered06/29/13-Green Card came in the mail<p>

04/09/15-Mailed ROC

04/10/2015-Package received

04/14/2015-Check cashed

06/02/2015-Called Service Center (still no NOA1) Service request found out wrong address on paperwork! :(

06/03/2015-Called to get address updated Ar11 online add change didnt work-got infopass for June 10th

06/10/2015-Went to info pass appt. Hubby got a 1yr. Extension stamp in his passport and biometrics done

08/12/2015-ROC Approved. Got letter in the mail.

08/29/2015-received new card in the mail.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Sorry to hear ..... I'm not farmiliar with Pakistan so cant say for sure however, when I applied for my fiance in India I had a joint sponsor I was a full time student and did not work. My dad was the one that sponsored my fiance....That was not the issue at all...I think you should consult a lawyer...

Best of luck hope the guy from the interview was wrong and everything works out..

Timeline

You both should keep you chins up! Why?

1- They kept your paperwork

2- You weren't denied

3- AP is mandatory for all males coming from Pakistan

I would, however, do a Congressional Inquiry because from everything I have read, Co-Sponsors ARE allowed.

Personally, I think your interview sounds like it went very well.

Prayers for you both!

Edited by worth_the_wait

[size="2"][font="Tahoma"][b]Worth The Wait
[/b][/font][/size]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#ff0000"]Our Visa Journey
[/color][/size][size="2"][color="#000080"]I-129F Sent 5/6/11
I-129F NOA1 Received 5/11/11
I-129F RFE Received 9/8/11
I-129F RFE Returned 9/23/11
I-129F NOA2 Received 11/17/11
NVC Received from USCIS 11/21/11
NVC Sent to Embassy 11/25/11
Embassy Received 12/2/11
Packet 3.5 Received 12/8/11
Packet 3.5 Returned 12/22/11
Packet 4 Received 1/13/12
Medical Date 1/19/12
Interview Date 2/23/2012
Administrative Review 2/24/2012
Visa Issued 4/30/2012
Visa Received 5/4/2012[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#000080"]POE Washington DC 5/21/2012[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#000080"]Married 5/30/2012[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#ff0000"]Adjustment of Status (AOS) Journey [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#000080"]Packet including: I-485, I-765 and I-131 sent 11/7/2012[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#000080"]Biometrics Completed: 12/18/2012[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#000080"]EAD/AP Approved: 1/17/2013[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#000080"]EAD/AP Combo Card Received: 1/22/2013[/color][/size][/font]

Wouldn't NVC deny the petition before it got to interview, if the AOS was not sufficient?

Also, pardon my ignorance, but what is "AP"?, put in AP?

Its administrative processing.

I-864 co sponsor is allowed only For Immigrant Visas Is k-1 An immigrant Visa Or NonImmigrant?

K1 is immigrant visa sir.

Do you live with your mom? As in one household?

Because when my fince went for his interview which was on the 17th of this month, they had told him they dont accept co sponsors. But they still took my moms and my cousins I-134's.im assuming they accepted it..im not working either.but its because my dad does dialysis and im the one taking him...

My fiance didnt get a decision yet becuz he had forgotten my I-134 form at home by accident.but the Consular just told him to submit the form and wait cause he cannot process his papers without it.

So they took his paperworks? Even your moms I-134?

they took my her paperwork but returned her moms.

Hey guys i just realized that maybe they didnt accept our cosponsor (Me and Aaisha) because in i-134 forms the item # 11 says i Intend or do not intend. aaishas mom checked the box "i Do not intend" MAYBE MAYBE this is the reason why they thought im likely to become a public charge.

and these were the forms we sent with packet 3.5 but realized this mistake after sending it.

Please put some input into this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Wouldn't NVC deny the petition before it got to interview, if the AOS was not sufficient?

Also, pardon my ignorance, but what is "AP"?, put in AP?

K-1 goes through AOS once they are already in the states, so you don't turn in any support paperwork until the interview.

And AP is for administrative processing - basically extra scrutiny beyond the interview before they decide whether or not to grant the visa.

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.