serendipity9

Algiers won't reply to appointment request

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

The embassy in Algeria received our approved I-129F in July and they sent email instructions for the application process for my fiance on July 29. According to the instructions, we are to email our request for an interview appointment once we had the required forms and verifications ready. We have been requesting an appointment since the second week of August. The first reply said wait until September and check again, which we did and have done every week now and they will not respond to the emails! I cannot get through to anyone on the phone (even though the website says no visa inquiries are accepted by phone, I don't know how else one can reach them if they don't reply to emails!)

If appointments are booked so far out and they are backlogged with cases, that's understandable.. but they could at least reply to let us know that our requests for an appointment aren't just floating out there in consular oblivion.

Any suggestions?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from Embassy/Consulate forum to MENA regional subforum for higher concentration of informed answers. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Timeline

The embassy in Algeria received our approved I-129F in July and they sent email instructions for the application process for my fiance on July 29. According to the instructions, we are to email our request for an interview appointment once we had the required forms and verifications ready. We have been requesting an appointment since the second week of August. The first reply said wait until September and check again, which we did and have done every week now and they will not respond to the emails! I cannot get through to anyone on the phone (even though the website says no visa inquiries are accepted by phone, I don't know how else one can reach them if they don't reply to emails!)

If appointments are booked so far out and they are backlogged with cases, that's understandable.. but they could at least reply to let us know that our requests for an appointment aren't just floating out there in consular oblivion.

Any suggestions?

They are under lockdown right now. You are just going to have to be patient..

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Any suggestions?

Hello Serendipity9,

I know how frustrating this is! UGH!!! My fiance is also from Algeria and his interview took place on June 21st of this year. His visa is undergoing Administrative processing, for the last 3 months, and I am NOT able to even send the Consulate in Algiers an email. I attempted several times and get an automatic response stating that the email has failed! I tried calling them and their number isn't working! I am not sure what's going on. When was the last time you tried contacting them? Would you like exchanging emails, phone numbers? We might be able to help each other through all this processes? My name is Diana, I live in Michigan....

Wish you all the luck!

Have a terrific Sunday!

Diana

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Any suggestions?

Hi There,

I am sorry to hear of your troubles. When I emailed them regarding my husbands interview date they replied within 3 days. That was however regarding moving the date, not scheduling. With that said, I have since emailed them seven times for a follow up to my husbands interview as they never gave him a slip, no status, etc but no approval. All I am asking is if he was denied or in AP. I have only received one email back telling me they are receiving my emails, but no answer. Go figure.

I also cannot get them by phone at all. My suggestion would be to go back to the NVC and let them know you cannot get any contact for an interview. Maybe they can help. I myself am debating applying for my visa to visit Algeria to show up on their doorstep for an answer! ;)

Best of Luck to you - if you figure out a way to reach them let me know!

Timeline

Hello Serendipity9,

I know how frustrating this is! UGH!!! My fiance is also from Algeria and his interview took place on June 21st of this year. His visa is undergoing Administrative processing, for the last 3 months, and I am NOT able to even send the Consulate in Algiers an email. I attempted several times and get an automatic response stating that the email has failed! I tried calling them and their number isn't working! I am not sure what's going on. When was the last time you tried contacting them? Would you like exchanging emails, phone numbers? We might be able to help each other through all this processes? My name is Diana, I live in Michigan....

Wish you all the luck!

Have a terrific Sunday!

Diana

Hi Diana!

I received the postal failure notice for the first time today! Have you tried calling the Department of State? They can give you a status on your case if it is in Administrative Processing. They cannot tell you details, but at least you will know if it is being worked on or not? Just call them at 202-663-1225 - Choose option 1 - Then 0 for live operator.

Let me know if it helped!

Roni

Timeline

Hi There,

I am sorry to hear of your troubles. When I emailed them regarding my husbands interview date they replied within 3 days. That was however regarding moving the date, not scheduling. With that said, I have since emailed them seven times for a follow up to my husbands interview as they never gave him a slip, no status, etc but no approval. All I am asking is if he was denied or in AP. I have only received one email back telling me they are receiving my emails, but no answer. Go figure.

I also cannot get them by phone at all. My suggestion would be to go back to the NVC and let them know you cannot get any contact for an interview. Maybe they can help. I myself am debating applying for my visa to visit Algeria to show up on their doorstep for an answer! ;)

Thank you :) Coincidentally, I just sent an email to NVC last Thursday simply because embassy has been completely unresponsive and petition expires in 2 weeks (I realize they tend to automatically extend validity in instances like this, but it seemed to give a legit sense of urgency for contacting NVC)

The other poster's point about patience and lockdown is well taken, but this was a problem for me and fiance even before the regional chaos broke out in early September-- plus from what I understand, DZ embassy has been comparatively unaffected since then and consular operations are business as usual (at least that's their PR stance)

It is discouraging though.. scheduling an appointment should be straightforward enough. If we are having such difficulty even doing that, I can't imagine the communications nightmare I will encounter once it's (invariably) put in AP after his interview with all our five-alarm-red flags. That's actually the more optimisitic outcome (preferable to me beseeching them to overturn a denial) Guess I might as well get comfortable and keep an eye out for good airfares :/

Please keep in touch about your case as well. Thanks and best of luck.

Timeline

Thank you :) Coincidentally, I just sent an email to NVC last Thursday simply because embassy has been completely unresponsive and petition expires in 2 weeks (I realize they tend to automatically extend validity in instances like this, but it seemed to give a legit sense of urgency for contacting NVC)

The other poster's point about patience and lockdown is well taken, but this was a problem for me and fiance even before the regional chaos broke out in early September-- plus from what I understand, DZ embassy has been comparatively unaffected since then and consular operations are business as usual (at least that's their PR stance)

It is discouraging though.. scheduling an appointment should be straightforward enough. If we are having such difficulty even doing that, I can't imagine the communications nightmare I will encounter once it's (invariably) put in AP after his interview with all our five-alarm-red flags. That's actually the more optimisitic outcome (preferable to me beseeching them to overturn a denial) Guess I might as well get comfortable and keep an eye out for good airfares :/

Actually you are correct - they are not in lock down and have been totally unaffected. My husband's brother has a friend that works in the Embassy and had said it is all business as usual. I have also received "read receipts" to the emails I have sent so I know someone is at least there! ;)

You are also correct in the fact of if it is this difficult to get an easy task done, what is in store? The good news is once he goes into AP (assuming) you can follow it through the State Department which I have called several times and always get a live body with zero wait times. If the embassy process it properly, which is not the case here.

Of course everyone is right about the patience, however I do think you may want to think about those tickets as it will still be a good while yet! It's a nice time of year to visit... at least it is cooler then summertime!

Timeline

Hi There,

I know that's what I am gonna do, and I intend to wait them out.

May God bless and keep you always~ May your wishes all come true~ May you always do for others~ And let others do for you~

May you build a ladder to the stars~ And climb on every rung~May you stay forever young

Bob Dylan

Timeline

I know that's what I am gonna do, and I intend to wait them out.

My husband is actually checking tomorrow if it would be faster for me to get my visa from the Algerian Embassy in Tunisia so I could visit him while I wait. Monday I find out from the Algerian Embassy in the US how fast I can expedite it here. One way or another the embassy in Algiers will have to answer me. One would think they would have preferred the easy, nice way!! :blink:

There has also been A LOT of fraud going out of Algiers and they have a new woman there that was at Casablanca before and shes applying Moroccan standards to Algiers.

Algeria did not have as many people going through years ago and was always considered a low fraud consulate but as more and more and more cases go back there of Algerians marrying americans, getting their papers and then going back to get algerian wives which as more and more naturalise, they are getting just as suspicious there as Morocco. You need to see Algeria as just a lesser version of Casablana. I went through that embassy and I never contacted them about what happened to me but I was 100000 percent screwed and defrauded by the man I petitioned and I know at least 3 just in my area alone who their husband divorced them as soon as he got his citizenship and they are all now married and have petitioned Algerian wives. Its not as common as Morocco and there are many many many happy American Algeria weddings but the fraud has increased over the last 4 years and as internet increases as people get broadband and satellite in their homes the fraud will increase because more have access. It used to be very hard to communicate because people had to go to internet cafes but now everyone has facebook and the internet. Algeria was ALWAYS known as low fraud but no more.. sorry to say. I think its a combination of fraud, lockdown and the new people interviewing people. Just be patient and keep sending letters and emails. And have a TON of evidence.. And expect home visits for sure. If its ANY consolation, even people who have like lottery visas and became citizens are having problems right now. I have an algerian male friend who petitoned his wife here and she just now has papers and they had a baby and they are having problems with visas for his brother and his mom got one and the brother did not. They are scrutinizing everyone going in and out of there.. No one is having an easy time but please remember, these are not the same laid back interviewers who were there a couple of years ago when NO ONE got AP. Now they are really just paying attention like crazy to everything and everyone because they have to A. They are scrutinizing marriages B. and of course the nonsense going on around them.

Edited by Beauty for Ashes

The embassy was a breeze for us 4 yrs ago. Emails were answered in hours sometimes and appts were automatically scheduled. My how times have changed.

It was a breeze for me too.. I think its just a combination of several things. New workers from Casablanca ( need I say more?) More frauds coming back because there are more people going through it ( I never tattled so it sure wasnt me LOL) and more men who have naturalized going back and marrying Algerians ( known several personally ) and all those factors are all going to add up to heavier scrutiny. I think the hot mess in Libya is really only part of it. Its only been recently that everyone and anyone has internet in their homes. When I was there in 2006, internet cafes were how many connected. As internet gets into their homes, more people can have contact with westerners and VOILA with facebook and dating sites, everyone and anyone can lay the smooth on to hook up with a westerner and I am sure their numbers are going up up and up. Its just mathematics, Mom of 1 and you went through there and so did I and they were super fast and nice. Not as much anymore because as a country opens up, so does the fraud and it takes a while to rack up the numbers.

I dont think its just Libya. I do think they are getting more streetsmart and just catching up to Casablanca and Tunis.. Having been through the Tunis Embassy to pick up papers, they have been onto the nonsense for a hell of a lot longer than Algiers, let me tell you.

JMHO

Timeline

My husband is actually checking tomorrow if it would be faster for me to get my visa from the Algerian Embassy in Tunisia so I could visit him while I wait. Monday I find out from the Algerian Embassy in the US how fast I can expedite it here. One way or another the embassy in Algiers will have to answer me. One would think they would have preferred the easy, nice way!! :blink:

I couldn't agree with you more. Please keep us posted if you don't mind. I heard the embassy in Tunisia was still closed for an undetermined time. I will do whatever it takes, even if I have to return to Tunisia. Best of Luck and Godspeed.

May God bless and keep you always~ May your wishes all come true~ May you always do for others~ And let others do for you~

May you build a ladder to the stars~ And climb on every rung~May you stay forever young

Bob Dylan

• 3 months later...
Timeline
:unsure: Edited by sarsorti

Bob Dylan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.