Iyawo_Omo_Yoruba

Plans after POE

44 posts in this topic

What about us K-1s that don't have employment authorization? I mean, I'll be busy planning a wedding, and his family is great. But what am I supposed to do when there is downtime?! I'm going to go nuts! I am used so used to going to school full-time and working full-time. These past few months since I've graduated have been rough even with working full-time. I think I'm going to go stir crazy.

It's hard! I arrived just 3 weeks before our wedding, so the big day, the honeymoon, and the AOS application were all done and dusted in the first 6 weeks. I spent some time looking for jobs and submitted a couple of speculative applications (in ancticipation of receiving my EAD), but as I was applying for Local Govt. jobs, all the HR departments used E-VERIFY and rejected me immediately! Totally different story once I got the EAD. My first three applications were all successful, and I was fortunate to be able to pick and choose.

Fortunately I'm naturally lazy, so didn't get too itchy being at home all day, but we only had one car at the time and Annette needed that for work - sadly this is America, so public transport wasn't an option.

Also, given that we were being forced to live off one income, and that I didn't know how long it would be before I was working, I didn't feel comfortable spending money. Makes it hard to go out and meet people when you don't feel that you have money to spend. My only luxury was wandering over the street on a Friday night and paying $3 for a High School football ticket.

The salvation? My enforced K1 unemployment lasted the duration of the football season, so I recorded and watched A LOT of NFL and NCAA games that year.

11-24-2006 Annette and I meet in Rome

09-09-2008 Engaged!

01-30-2009 Fiance petition filed

03-22-2009 Fiance petition approved. Case moves to U.S. embassy in London

04-01-2009 Package received from U.S. embassy in London

06-01-2009 Visa Medical (London)

06-23-2009 K1 Visa Interview (London)

06-27-2009 Passport returned by embassy. K1 Visa received!!

07-04-2009 Fly to Denver (port of entry - Houston, TX)

07-25-2009 We are married (the joint happiest day of my life)

08-07-2009 Social Security number obtained

08-20-2009 AOS, Advanced Parole and Employment Authorization forms filed

09-24-2009 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

10-05-2009 Advanced Parole received

10-09-2009 Employment Authorization received

10-13-2009 Colorado Learner's permit obtained and driving test scheduled

10-21-2009 Driving test taken and passed

11-30-2009 Green Card Interview (Centennial, CO)

12-08-2009 Green Card received

01-04-2010 Employed

01-28-2011 Our daughter is born (the other happiest day of my life)!

11-21-2011 Filed for Removal of Conditions

12-28-2011 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

03-16-2012 Card production ordered

03-23-2012 Card received

09-04-2012 Application for Naturalization filed

10-05-2012 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

12-11-2012 Naturalization Interview (Centennial, CO)

That is our plan too my husband wants to continue his education we need to find out how many if any of his classes from his schooling there will be accepted. I ran into a nurse at the hospital my mom was in and she is from Nigeria and said alot of the classes from there are accepted so he is going to see how to get his Masters. He is also going to straighten out our yard lol... That will take him a few weeks right there. I have almost an acre of property and zero time to tend to it I mow the yard every other weekend but weeding and cutting back trees and such not so much. But it makes my husband crazy when I tell him that I am mowing the grass since that it a "man's job" lol. I told him get your butt home and you can have it...

Just don't let him purchase a machete... and you'll be all good with the shrubs and trees! :rofl: Better let him know up front if you want to keep them and maybe have someone out the first time to show him how you'd like them cut and maintained.

I wish I could remember who it was on here a month or so ago talking about their husband cutting down absolutely everything in the yard. He really put a hacking on her plants! It may have been in the forum "so you know your spouse is African when." LOL We might need to start that thread again! It was hilarious! One husband scrubbed the teflon out of all of her pans because he thought it was food burnt on! :bonk::rofl::lol: Priceless!!!

Well you know that I am still at the NOA1 stage but here are our plans!

1. I too am going to give him a rest...and let him just take a few weeks to adjust while we wait on the ssn and what not he's been working his whole life I am sure he will like the break

2. Where I work I plan to talk to my manager about getting him on with me, they also know the situation with him coming here but of course a position must be available so until then,

3. He will be the "stay at home" parent and wait for the kids to come home, cook, clean, and all that jazz :)...I know he won't mind...he said it's only right...I shouldn't take care of the home and go to work...plus to me...he will be working...coming home to a clean house, washed clothes, and cooked food will be a serious burden lifted from me for a while...I'll still do my part sometimes lol jk

4. I live close to the library, an african shop, a gym and several other things I will get him acquainted with so that he can walk to these places and spend some time there.

5. Finaally, we will have a plan in place to get him into school as soon as he can so he can further his mechanical engineering degree here in America (this really should be number one he is in love with education lol)

Well that's my 2 cents: My husband is a very home body man now...even in Naija...he goes to work, goes to church, goes home and stops by his friend's to watch football from time to time...so I don't think he will be twiddling his fingers too much...he enjoys cooking and cleaning...his grandmother and mom taught him the joys of taking care of a home lol..so I think he will be okay...I pray he will be... though I know he will miss home from time to time.

I think my two kids will keep him very busy once they come home from school and he's there with them for a little while alone...lol

oh yes and i will get the "football" (soccer that is) channel on cable for him...so he can watch his sport!

Sounds like a Solid Plan! :thumbs: Oh, and when that cable company tells you what station that is, by all means, let a sista' know! My husband will think I laid out the red carpet for him if he can watch football when he comes home! LOL

Looks like you got a house broken hubby :)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Girl he gets no time to play. Also why I wanted him in this jobs workshop so he could experience job seeking and interviewing American style. I interviewed for a few jobs in Nigeria and oh its sooooo different.

The classes and the place is run by CEO's and many corporate sponsors you graduate have a ceremony, certificate, its pretty cool. I would advise anyone to check your city, town and see what kind of job workshops are available. Many of the community colleges and churches have them to.

Also a good place to start and ask is try the homeless shelters since many of the residents there have to complete some of these programs to get housing and extended stays. So check it out people.

And everyone needs to be profiled on Monster.com. career builder.com and your states job services thingy (unemployment list).

:rofl: :rofl: I just saw this! That's right Debz...put him to work right away! No really, this is an excellent idea for anyone looking for work right away. The important thing is to get some experience under your hat and something local to add to your resume. And volunteer work adds character and shows what type of person you are. You're hubby is lucky to have you!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Well, here is my 2 cents :P

We have discussed this extensively, we do have a lot of plans and goals for ourselves. First, he will bring his transcripts so he can apply for the community college. They have to be evaluated by a company to see if it is equivalent to the US standards. So, then after I graduate he can go back to school. The drivers license is going to take some time as Florida has a drug and alcohol exam online before you take a written and driving test at the office. So he will have to study for that before he can even apply.

Before I started school I was selling on Ebay and making a decent amount per month. The hubby and I discussed this and we found that this may be a good option for him. He can spend time getting used to the US and earning money from home. I don't have to worry about him getting bored at home because my 17 year old can't wait for him to come and play PS3 with him lol. He will probably assist me in some ways around the house, but seeing as that is not really a part of their culture to do so, I won't be having him cook (unless we want Nigerian food lol) or do any of the "womanly jobs" and there is plenty of "manly jobs" around the house that can also keep him busy.

As far as the social aspect, I have met a few African's from my college and have relationships with them and their families. They have "African" get togethers and Kay will be able to play soccer (football lol) with the guys! They have also shown me where the African food store is and I have been there and asked if they carried his "favorite food" lol, there is also a flea market that sells plaintains nearby. We also hope to meet up with some people from VJ that live close. I will also be ordering some soccer channel for him too!

If that doesn't work out then he will just look for an entry level job. :D He has already made it extremely clear that he wants to be working, and for me that is a new experience!! lol

10-11-2012: Interview DENIED

09-10-2013: REAFFIRMED

12-18-2013: 2nd Interview APPROVED

Timeline

Well, here is my 2 cents :P

We have discussed this extensively, we do have a lot of plans and goals for ourselves. First, he will bring his transcripts so he can apply for the community college. They have to be evaluated by a company to see if it is equivalent to the US standards. So, then after I graduate he can go back to school. The drivers license is going to take some time as Florida has a drug and alcohol exam online before you take a written and driving test at the office. So he will have to study for that before he can even apply.

Before I started school I was selling on Ebay and making a decent amount per month. The hubby and I discussed this and we found that this may be a good option for him. He can spend time getting used to the US and earning money from home. I don't have to worry about him getting bored at home because my 17 year old can't wait for him to come and play PS3 with him lol. He will probably assist me in some ways around the house, but seeing as that is not really a part of their culture to do so, I won't be having him cook (unless we want Nigerian food lol) or do any of the "womanly jobs" and there is plenty of "manly jobs" around the house that can also keep him busy.

As far as the social aspect, I have met a few African's from my college and have relationships with them and their families. They have "African" get togethers and Kay will be able to play soccer (football lol) with the guys! They have also shown me where the African food store is and I have been there and asked if they carried his "favorite food" lol, there is also a flea market that sells plaintains nearby. We also hope to meet up with some people from VJ that live close. I will also be ordering some soccer channel for him too!

If that doesn't work out then he will just look for an entry level job. :D He has already made it extremely clear that he wants to be working, and for me that is a new experience!! lol

Wow! You got it going on! This thread has inspired me to search further, I have some calls to make and still waiting on email replies, but I do know boo wants to go back to school and work as well. I know there are Nigerians here in my city, but how to find them??? Hahaha. Anyone have ideas?

TracyJo

Timeline

Wow! You got it going on! This thread has inspired me to search further, I have some calls to make and still waiting on email replies, but I do know boo wants to go back to school and work as well. I know there are Nigerians here in my city, but how to find them??? Hahaha. Anyone have ideas?

I went to a Nigerian performance at the college and meet a few like that. There were also different African stuff advertised in the program as well! I also met some others that were selling African stuff on my campus, they put up a tent and sell stuff all day. One of those guys told me that he also rents a booth at a local flea market. They pretty much congregate together, so if you talk to one they would probably be able to hook you up with some stuff within your neighborhood. They are all friendly, especially since you are a white American showing interest in one of their fellow "brothers" and would be more than happy to help you out I am sure...Other than that I don't know...Good Luck to you Tracy!! Glad you got something out of our situation, always happy to help!!

10-11-2012: Interview DENIED

09-10-2013: REAFFIRMED

12-18-2013: 2nd Interview APPROVED

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

We don't have a set plan but I was looking at classes at the community college to learn american english in speaking and writing. I also saw differnet kinds of job workshops at the college so my husband will be busy doing the classes while he wait for his ss# and green card.

He probably wont be able to start classes without a #ss card. My husband can't do anything without one. He spends his time learning how to ride the city buses without getting lost. Lol! whish scares me to death but as long as he has his cell phone he says he's not lost. He has learned a lot about getting around. He spends a lot of time doing yard work. He loves the outdoors.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

He probably wont be able to start classes without a #ss card. My husband can't do anything without one. He spends his time learning how to ride the city buses without getting lost. Lol! whish scares me to death but as long as he has his cell phone he says he's not lost. He has learned a lot about getting around. He spends a lot of time doing yard work. He loves the outdoors.

Might want to contact the school now. They are used to working with international students & sponsoring them (student visas). Find out what they need from him.

2011 - Met online
2012/05/03 - Started "Dating"
2012/06/27-07/16 -
Met in Haiti/got engaged
2012/08/20 - I-129F Sent
2012/08/28-09/05 -
Second trip to Haiti
2012/08/28 - I-129F NOA1
2012/08/29 - Check Cashed
2012/08/31 - NOA1 Hard Copy Received
2012/09/05 - NOA2 (I-129F)
2012/09/10 - Emailed U.S. Embassy in Haiti for Packet 3.
2012/09/10 - NVC Received
2012/09/10 - NOA2 Hard-Copy
2012/09/11 - Called NVC to check status, told fiance's DOB is wrong, but it's right on both application forms. They said send birth cert & passport.
2012/09/13 - Submitted DS-156 online & printed copies (& emailed to both of us).
2012/09/14 - Emailed scanned copies of original application, birth cert & passport to NVC.
2012/09/14 - Called & insisted they fix THEIR mistake. Message forwarded to supervisor. Got an email within 30 minutes; fixed! Called & confirmed.
2012/09/19 - Still in AP (Administrative/Additional Processing)... waiting...
2012/09/25 - Left NVC
2013/01/08/18 -
Third trip to Haiti
2013/01/17 - K1 Visa Denied (he had been given a fake death certificate for his first wife who was killed in the 2010 earthquake)
2013/03/05-20 -
Fourth trip to Haiti
2013/03/14 - Got Married in Port au Prince

2013/08/11-22 - Fifth trip to Haiti

2014/01/26-02/12 - Sixth trip to Haiti

2014/03/12-15 - Seventh trip to Haiti

Timeline

Might want to contact the school now. They are used to working with international students & sponsoring them (student visas). Find out what they need from him.

He is not here on a student visa and still waiting on #SS card.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

He is not here on a student visa and still waiting on #SS card.

I understand that, but I'm saying that the school might be able to put in for a temporary adjustment of status right away. No matter his status. Talk to them. They deal with this every day. One thing I've been learning is that it never hurts to ask. More often than not, you get what you need.

2011 - Met online
2012/05/03 - Started "Dating"
2012/06/27-07/16 -
Met in Haiti/got engaged
2012/08/20 - I-129F Sent
2012/08/28-09/05 -
Second trip to Haiti
2012/08/28 - I-129F NOA1
2012/08/29 - Check Cashed
2012/08/31 - NOA1 Hard Copy Received
2012/09/05 - NOA2 (I-129F)
2012/09/10 - Emailed U.S. Embassy in Haiti for Packet 3.
2012/09/10 - NVC Received
2012/09/10 - NOA2 Hard-Copy
2012/09/11 - Called NVC to check status, told fiance's DOB is wrong, but it's right on both application forms. They said send birth cert & passport.
2012/09/13 - Submitted DS-156 online & printed copies (& emailed to both of us).
2012/09/14 - Emailed scanned copies of original application, birth cert & passport to NVC.
2012/09/14 - Called & insisted they fix THEIR mistake. Message forwarded to supervisor. Got an email within 30 minutes; fixed! Called & confirmed.
2012/09/19 - Still in AP (Administrative/Additional Processing)... waiting...
2012/09/25 - Left NVC
2013/01/08/18 -
Third trip to Haiti
2013/01/17 - K1 Visa Denied (he had been given a fake death certificate for his first wife who was killed in the 2010 earthquake)
2013/03/05-20 -
Fourth trip to Haiti
2013/03/14 - Got Married in Port au Prince

2013/08/11-22 - Fifth trip to Haiti

2014/01/26-02/12 - Sixth trip to Haiti

2014/03/12-15 - Seventh trip to Haiti

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

He spends his time learning how to ride the city buses without getting lost. Lol! whish scares me to death but as long as he has his cell phone he says he's not lost. He has learned a lot about getting around.

This is what I did while I was waiting for my greencard over 7 years ago. It boosted my confidence by going around by myself while my husband was at work. By the time, I got my greencard and I was interviewing, I already knew how to get to the company that I was interviewing for. It also helps to just get familiarize with the surroundings.

===========================

2008-08-16 Sent N-400

2008-08-18 Application Received

2008-08-19 Check Cashed

2008-09-18 Biometrics

2008-12-09 Interview

2009-01-XX Oath (Yay! I'm a citizen)

==========================

07/19 - NOA2 approval

08/20 - Case received at NVC

08/23 - emailed DS-3022

08/25 - mailed AOS

08/27 - received AOS

08/31 - AOS Accepted

09/04 - Received confirmation of DS-3022

09/05 - Received IV invoice

09/05 - Pay IV bill

09/06 - IV showed as paid

09/06 - Send DS-230 packet

09/10 - Received DS-230 packet by NVC

09/17 - DS-230 Accepted/Case Complete

09/28 - Transfer to Manila Embassy

10/02 - Medical Exam at St. Luke's

10/08- 10/10 - Sputum Test

10/09 - Received by Manila Embassy

10/12 - Result of Sputum Test (Need to repeat)

10/16-10/18 - Repeat Sputum Test (Negative)

12/13 - Sputum Final Result (Negative)

12/21 - Interview at Embassy (Approved)

12/28 - Visa Picked Up from 2GO

12/28 - CFO

12/30 - POE (LAX)

Timeline

This is what I did while I was waiting for my greencard over 7 years ago. It boosted my confidence by going around by myself while my husband was at work. By the time, I got my greencard and I was interviewing, I already knew how to get to the company that I was interviewing for. It also helps to just get familiarize with the surroundings.

I agree that does help. He has his GC now so we're just waiting for the SS card. And then he will be off to look for work. I can't wait.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

1.) Get a bike. This can offer great exercise and freedom.

2.) Make maps of the neighborhood with places of interest indicated.

3.) Public transportation is available in most bigger cities--including Denver. I used it 20 years ago. Teach your partner-for-life how to use it and go visit a few key destinations in the first few weeks.

4.) Put together an information packet (similar to those in hotels) with how-to's for the remotes, washing machine, dates for trash day, rules for neighborhood, etc. Expect the functioning plumbing to be entirely new to anyone from outside Europe and North America,

Make an Information Packet for Your Home

5.) Get international calling on his cell phone. For us, Boost had the best deal with 50/month-ulimited text/data/talk and 10/month extra to call South America all he wants. (His phone works while he's in Mexico, too!)

6.) The dog idea is excellent. You can be social while still being shy. My husband wanted on so badly and we talked about it repeatedly but once he was here, he was happy only with our cat. He visits friends though and walks their dogs.

7.) Cooking, get him to gather up his family's favorite recipes to recreate here. Plan meals over Skype where y'all eat the same things while having nice dinner conversations.

8.) Fried chicken. I don't know about other countries, but for Peruvians, this is a big deal. Whatever typical comfort food he likes from here, you'd better (learn to) like it, too.

9.) Honey-do's. My husband was delighted to do some minor repairs and have his own furniture. His desk, office chair, and lamp are his own personal mini-man-cave and he LOVES them.

10.) Take video and pictures all the time. Your visa journey is NOT over. Be considering evidence to prove that you are married and legit here in the US. Compile the pictures/vid into a nice video for the holidays to send back home.

11.) If there is family of his (hers) already living in the US, plan to visit.

12.) Church. Get involved. This can be your best resource of friendship and information on everything from housing to jobs.

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.