Danno

OFF-DUTY COP HITS 4-YEAR-OLD GIRL WITH MOTORCYCLE, SHOOTS AND KILLS ANGRY DAD

92 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

OFF-DUTY COP HITS 4-YEAR-OLD GIRL WITH MOTORCYCLE THEN SHOOTS AND KILLS ANGRY DAD

middleton16x9.jpg

Moments after his motorcycle struck a 4-year-old girl, an off-duty Chicago Police officer shot and killed the girl’s irate father after he allegedly attacked the officer, the Chicago Sun Times reports.

Fraternal Order of Police Spokesman Pat Camden identified the officer as a 43-year-old veteran of the Chicago Police. The officer was headed home on Saturday evening when the horrifying incident occurred.

As he was driving home, the officer says he saw a child unexpectedly run into the street. In order not to strike the girl directly, the cop jumped off his motorcycle, pulling it down on its side on the pavement. However, the motorcycle skidded and flipped, hitting the 4-year-old girl and her 18-year-old cousin, John Passley.

As the officer attempted to provide aide to the girl, her father, identified as Christopher Middleton, 26, came running out of a nearby restaurant and aggressively approached the officer and began shouting, officials said. The cop argues that he identified himself as a police officer but Middleton still hit him in the face and knocked him to the ground before striking him repeatedly.

According to the Daily Herald, the officer said, “Take it easy, I’m the Police.” But Middleton replied, “I don’t give a #### who you are,” and punched him in the face.

Passley reportedly began kicking the officer, joining Middleton in the assault. Shortly after, the officer drew his weapon and fired once, fatally wounding Middleton. He was pronounced dead at around 10:14 p.m. Saturday at Loyola Medical Center.

“At that point he’s defending his life — he’s on the ground, he’s about to lose consciousness from the people who are beating him and draws his weapon in defense of his life,” Camden said. “The officer responded accordingly.”

From the Chicago Sun Times:

Middleton’s sister, Tina Middleton, said her brother lived in Elgin with the mother of his daughter and was visiting relatives in Maywood, where he grew up. “He was a good person,” she said. “I know for sure he wasn’t out to harm the man. My brother would never harm anybody. I could understand him [the officer] being upset, but two wrongs don’t make a right.”

Middleton was due to be married Aug. 18th, his sister said. Besides his daughter who was injured, Middleton also had a 6-year-old son and an unborn child, his sister said.

Middleton’s daughter suffered contusions and abrasions and was hospitalized overnight for observation.

Passley was being held by Maywood police for questioning, Shapiro said.

The officer is expected to recover from his injuries, which include contusions to his head and body from the attack and as well as a broken leg and broken shoulder from the crash, Camden added.

The Independent Police Review Authority — which examines all Chicago police-involved shootings — is investigating the incident, said Larry Merritt, an IPRA spokesman.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/off-duty-cop-hits-4-year-old-girl-with-motorcycle-then-shoots-and-kills-angry-dad/

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Very unfortunate.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

well, sounds pretty clear cut.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Standing his gound

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Timeline

Standing his gound

Accidents happen and emotions can get the better of people.... is it normal for a 4 year old to be out running loose, was Dad supposed to be watching her?

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

well, sounds pretty clear cut.

Seems the same to me. Cop laid his bike over and did every thing human to keep from hitting her. Guy is punching him and kicking him while he is on the ground. Cop identifies himself. Assailant does not stop and gets killed.

I hate that for the 4 year old girl that she had to see that and regret she will carry that all her life, but the cop was in the right .

Timeline

Seems the same to me. Cop laid his bike over and did every thing human to keep from hitting her. Guy is punching him and kicking him while he is on the ground. Cop identifies himself. Assailant does not stop and gets killed.

I hate that for the 4 year old girl that she had to see that and regret she will carry that all her life, but the cop was in the right .

Based on the stories facts as related here, I have to agree with you. Tragic but avoidable. Too bad this father did not have the ability to think rationally under stress. We all think we will do better but until it happens to you you don't really know.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If you attack a police officer, you're going to have a bad time.

20120603-235551.jpg

Edited by Nooblord

07/31/2012 - Filed I-485 & I-130 at Chicago Lockbox

08/03/2012 - Delivery confirmation at Chicago Lockbox

08/08/2012 - Receipt Notice Text/E-mail

08/21/2012 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Received

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

But if he wasn't cop, would your reaction be the same? If he wasn't a cop, he would be locked up during a long investigation. Not only should the father have remained sane while his daughter had been hurt, the shooter should have also.

The same use of deadly force by a civilian would likely result in arraignment and conviction, while the cop will likely walk away. I'm a security expert dealing with these situations on a daily basis. A trained marksman knows how to disable an assailant without making them assume room temperature.

Timeline

A trained marksman knows how to disable an assailant without making them assume room temperature.

Sounds good in theory. Not so simple in actual practice as this tends to confirm. Even an extremity shot can be lethal! Don't point your weapon at another and certainly don't pull the trigger unless you are prepared to kill!

Timeline

I don't know why you think this confirms anything. How do we know the cop didn't take a center mass shot on purpose?

He probably did! At least if he was being smart. If you believe your life is truly being threatened and you need to react quickly and decisively in self-defense that would be the smart thing to do! Especially considering that he had sustained serious shoulder and leg injuries from the accident already! We don't yet know what kind of 'shot' he was trying for. It will be interesting to know more. The point is he was one of those professionals who probably really knew all about the use of weapons in this sort of situation. Not like the rest of us 'armchair experts'!

Edited by james&olya

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Granted, he prolly did, but a shot to the kneecap of a kicking assailant accomplishes the same goal. IMHO the cop was not facing imminent death in a public arena. He was facing a horrible beat down which required him to act responsibly, especially as a public servant. Double tapping center mass is not a responsible action in that type situation. HOWEVER it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

But if he wasn't cop, would your reaction be the same? If he wasn't a cop, he would be locked up during a long investigation. Not only should the father have remained sane while his daughter had been hurt, the shooter should have also.

The same use of deadly force by a civilian would likely result in arraignment and conviction, while the cop will likely walk away. I'm a security expert dealing with these situations on a daily basis. A trained marksman knows how to disable an assailant without making them assume room temperature.

Cop or not when an armed person is attacked and being viciously beaten the use of deadly force is justified. As for you being a security expert , let me school you on something. Anytime someone pulls a gun to stop an assailant, the intent is to do just that. Stop them. Not wing them with some Hollywood shot to the big toe.

Granted, he prolly did, but a shot to the kneecap of a kicking assailant accomplishes the same goal. IMHO the cop was not facing imminent death in a public arena. He was facing a horrible beat down which required him to act responsibly, especially as a public servant. Double tapping center mass is not a responsible action in that type situation. HOWEVER it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

A shot to the knee cap may or may not have stooped the assailant and could have cost the victim his life. Shot to wound is tatcially very unsound and although it works in Hollywood movies it is not practical in real life.