kytwell

Judge refuses to halt Pennsylvania’s voter identification law

37 posts in this topic

The government lawyers defending this law in court acknowledge that they are not aware of a single incident of in person vioter fraud. To me, that would indicate that there's no substance to the claim of in person voter fraud being a wide spread problem requiring a draconian response.

Thats is such BS. Just google. Lots of cases.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Try cashing a check without an ID

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: Timeline
In fact, there are lots of rights you can't just exercise without filling out a form or showing some ID. Buying a firearm in most states. Peaceably assembling in a public square, etc.

Now, it's not that I'm unsympathetic to the old woman in rural bumblefukc who has never bothered getting her id in order because she's never needed to. It bothers me that maybe she can no longer vote but laws like this will set into motion a process (which will last a few election cycles) that brings our (the Democratic) voters in line with their voters in terms of having the necessary paperwork and documentation. Non profits will spring up that make it happen and at the far end of this process we will all enjoy a cleaner electoral process.

In the meanwhile, yes this will be cause for some disruption and yes rmoney will probably win Pennsyltucky. It's a shame but that's ok. It could be worse, it could have been Santorum.

The problem I have with these voter ID laws is that they fail to address the areas where voter fraud predominently occurs - absentee voting and fraud perpetrated by poll workers. That is where there might be an issue and none of the voter ID laws address any of it. They didn't even try. Why? Well, because this isn't about the integrity of the voting process. It never has been. They didn't even attempt to make it appear as if it was about the intergity of the voting process. How could you even begin to talk about the intergrity of the voting process in a country where gerrymandering is rampant? And much like gerrymandering, this is about fixing elections. That's all it is and that's all it ever has been.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

There is no legitimate reason for opposing a voter id law. If you are a functioning member of society, you already have one. If you are a non-functioning member of society, I really don't want you voting anyway.

When it comes to federally guaranteed rights of individuals, it matters little to none whether you like certain individuals to have these rights. Dislike it all you want but these rights still belong to the individuals.

When it comes to federally guaranteed rights of individuals, it matters little to none whether you like certain individuals to have these rights. Dislike it all you want but these rights still belong to the individuals.

So since I have a " federally Protected", in the old days we called that constitutional, right to own a firearm that means you are in favor of no ID or background check to own a gun ? The constitution says I have to be 18 to vote ??? How do they know I am 18 when i go to register. Is it a violation of my constitutional right to have to prove I am 18?

So since I have a " federally Protected", in the old days we called that constitutional, right to own a firearm that means you are in favor of no ID or background check to own a gun? The constitution says I have to be 18 to vote??? How do they know I am 18 when i go to register. Is it a violation of my constitutional right to have to prove I am 18?

Voter ID laws do not address the voter registration process. I do not need a photo ID to register to vote. All I need to do is fill out a form and send it in. My information is then verified and validated by the county supervisor of elections office and - once passed - I will receive a voter information card in the mail. Then I'm good to go. I don't have to prove that I am a citizen or that I am 18 years of age or that I am not ineligible to vote for any other reason. I do have to affirm all these things on my application and face a 3rd degree felony charge if I provide incorrect information.

Oh, and you do not need a photo ID to purchase guns. Fact is, you don't even have to pass a background check.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Oh, and you do not need a photo ID to purchase guns. Fact is, you don't even have to pass a background check.

interesting. i bought a gun online. paid the fee to ship to a ffl, then had to pass a background check.

i suppose one could find people willing to do things illegally in every situation. hello, drug deals?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Is cashing a check a federally protected right? You know, the old apples and oranges thing.

No but showing an ID is a simple thing. Why the fuss?

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The problem I have with these voter ID laws is that they fail to address the areas where voter fraud predominently occurs - absentee voting and fraud perpetrated by poll workers.

Absentee voting should be abolished, with the exception of members of the Armed Forces stationed overseas and special cases like medical necessity.

American expats who choose to live abroad should not have a say in how the country is run.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Voter ID laws do not address the voter registration process. I do not need a photo ID to register to vote. All I need to do is fill out a form and send it in. My information is then verified and validated by the county supervisor of elections office and - once passed - I will receive a voter information card in the mail. Then I'm good to go. I don't have to prove that I am a citizen or that I am 18 years of age or that I am not ineligible to vote for any other reason. I do have to affirm all these things on my application and face a 3rd degree felony charge if I provide incorrect information.

Just so much horse feathers. You absolutely do need a picture Id and background check to buy a gun LEGALLY! That silly argument is like saying it's legal to buy crack because someone will sell it.

I am glad you posted that link because even though we have strict laws about selling firearms and back ground checks, it does not stop criminals from buying guns. Thank you for reenforcing why more gun laws will not reduce Gun crimes or keep criminals from having them. What's one more law to break when buying a gun illegally right ?

As for Voter Id. No sane person without an agenda really thinks it will stop people from voting, who want to vote. CBS news covered the story. They trotted out some poor old 94 year old woman, who was suing the state because she had no picture ID, and it would be the first election she could not vote in.

Now help me here ? You have the means to bring a law suit against your state but not the means to get a picture ID ?? Such a crock..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Absentee voting should be abolished, with the exception of members of the Armed Forces stationed overseas and special cases like medical necessity.

American expats who choose to live abroad should not have a say in how the country is run.

So why do American expats still have to pay taxes. I'm cool with living abroad and not voting, but why should I have to pay taxes to a country where I don't reside?

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So why do American expats still have to pay taxes. I'm cool with living abroad and not voting, but why should I have to pay taxes to a country where I don't reside?

I agree - that's effed up as well.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg