lynndy38

To travel or not to travel?That is the question.

24 posts in this topic

OK final attempt at getting a clear answer.

I'm married to a US citizen we are currently going through the CR1 process,filed yesterday(only been married 3 weeks)so we're waiting on the NOA1 to come through after which our plan was to have me visit the US for 8 weeks(am not currently working)

I know youve just seen two huge red flags!!!!

8 weeks is a long time,and the lack of evidence for my ties to the US........I will have my rental property contract,plus a contract with my local housing office stating the date I am coming over to the US and the date they want me back,plus my 13 year old son expects me back in time for christmas!!!!

When my husband returned after our wedding he flew into NC via Philidelphia airport and asked the POE officers what he thought my chancers were being granted entry,the officer said he couldnt see any problem so now my hubby is convinced I'll be fine....I however am not. Ive read so many horror stories re trying to visit a spouse during visa process,noone seems to have a definate answer.I feel sick thinking about being faced with an angry officer and interrogation. Eric cannot visit me due to his work commitments(he is a chiropractor with his own clinic.) but we would love to spend some time together seeing as we only had 3 days after we married before he had to return to the States. I have never overstayed when Ive visited, I come,spend money as a tourist and leave......and will continue to do so until I am legally able to stay.

I am aware it is a privilage to visit Eric during this process,could I have your opinion?

Edited by lynndy38

event.png"]My link[/url]

[/url]"]My link[/url]ur[l=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

event.png

[/url]

Travel! Most people have no problems. Here is a thread from the K-1 forum (slightly different situation, but mostly similar) full of people and their successful experiences traveling. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/67796-yes-you-can-visit/

I think you have been reading the wrong threads, because it is rarely an issue. It is a common trap for a new person to read horror stories and not understand how the situation differs from their own. Also, keep in mind that people in those horror stories rarely tell the whole story. I hope that thread with positive information helps you calm down :)

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I see no issue you are from UK you have been through before. Having a son to come back home to is a great plus so bring the things u say and all should be well. You know America loves UK folk. :D

**And stop reading those horror stories. Gives you nightmares u know.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Its your personal call to travel or not to.

Technically there is nothing wrong, it is not going to impact your existing application in any ways.

The only thing is you have to be prepared if you are not granted entry.

Also the fear you have about facing an angry immigration officer is not true… some can have an attitude but overall not all of them are bad.

You can give a shot and see how it goes.

Edited by Harsh_77

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

My husband and I visited the US several times during the process, even during NVC. We had all of our documents ready to prove ties to home but were never asked for anything. Go for it!

12/08/2011 Married

02/06/2012 I-130 Packet sent via FedEx

02/09/2012 NOA1- case sent to VSC!

07/09/2012 NOA2

07/11/2012 case received at NVC

07/27/2012 NVC case number and IIN received

07/27/2012 DS-3032 sent via email

08/01/2012 AOS bill received via email, paid online

08/01/2012 Beneficiary received DS-3032 form via email

08/02/2012 AOS bill shows paid

08/03/2012 AOS package sent via FedEx

08/03/2012 Email acceptance of DS-3032 from NVC

08/06/2012 IV Bill received

08/06/2012 IV bill paid

08/06/2012 AOS package received

08/07/2012 IV bill shows paid

08/09/2012 IV package sent

08/09/2012 AOS package accepted

08/20/2012 IV package accepted

08/20/2012 NVC Case Complete

09/14/2012 Interview date assigned

09/26/2012 Medical in Barbados

10/01/2012 Interview in Barbados

xx/xx/2012 POE- San Juan, PR

When I saw I had replies I was scared to look!!!!

Thankyou so much guys!!!!

My husband keeps telling me to stop reading horror stories on here,as for not expecting angry POE officers Im afraid I've experienced just one that was awful enough to me twice to put me off ALL of them.

The officer works at Raleigh,Durham International North Carolina, where hubby lives but Im avoiding him and going through PHL even though this will mean two take offs, Im terrified of flying,my doctor has to give me meds to help me stay relaxed enough to get on the plane thats how much I want to try and see my husband!!!!!!

event.png"]My link[/url]

event.png

[/url]

I think you will be ok. I had an issue at Atlanta the last time I visited before we were married. I was taken into secondary processing and questioned but my return ticket seemed to convince the officer and he let me in, although with a warning that I would not be allowed in again on the VWP.

One way to be certain without having to do a transatlantic crossing would be to take a flight via Ireland. You can do POE at Irish airports.

Edited by cathy2904

01/27/2011 - Trevor's N400 submitted
02/18/2011 - Married
04/02/2011 - NOA1 hard copy received - priority date 03/30/2011
07/08/2011 - Trevor is now a USC - called USCIS to request upgrade of the petition.
08/02/2011 - NOA2
09/08/2011 - LND case number received, medical booked
09/26/2011 - Case complete at NVC
09/30/2011 - Interview date assigned
11/08/2011 - Interview - approved!!
11/10/2011 - Visa in hand
12/04/2011 - POE in Atlanta
12/12/2011 - SSN number received in mail
12/12/2011 - Welcome notice received
01/06/2012 - Green card received
09/06/2013 - File for Removal of Conditions
10/01/2013 - Biometrics for ROC
02/03/2014 - Card production email received

02/17/2014 - 2nd card production email received

02/28/2014 - 10 year Green card received

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

My husband keeps telling me to stop reading horror stories on here,as for not expecting angry POE officers Im afraid I've experienced just one that was awful enough to me twice to put me off ALL of them.

The officer works at Raleigh,Durham International North Carolina, where hubby lives but Im avoiding him and going through PHL even though this will mean two take offs, Im terrified of flying,my doctor has to give me meds to help me stay relaxed enough to get on the plane thats how much I want to try and see my husband!!!!!!

If you have a history of travel to the US with no problems, that makes a difference compared to coming for your first visit.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Peronally I would not even do that.... I would directly fly into Raleigh.

What are the odds of getting the same officer.... personally I have never encountered the same officer ever.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I think you will be ok. I had an issue at Atlanta the last time I visited before we were married. I was taken into secondary processing and questioned but my return ticket seemed to convince the officer and he let me in, although with a warning that I would not be allowed in again on the VWP.

One way to be certain without having to do a transatlantic crossing would be to take a flight via Ireland. You can do POE at Irish airports.

Good advice but not all flights do POE from Ireland anymore. Half of the Boston flights do and half in the US for instance. Aer Lingus can tell you by flight number though.

Timeline

USCIS

07/23/2012: I-130 Sent from Ireland

07/24/2012: USPS Delivery Confirmation

07/27/2012: NOA1 E-mail

08/06/2012: NOA2 E-mail

08/07/2012: NOA1 (i-797 Rec'd Hard copy via snail mail)

NVC

08/10/2012: NVC received

08/24/2012: Case number/IIN

08/24/2012: DS-3032 sent (10 minutes after Case Number received ;) )

09/05/2012: DS-3032 accepted (via email although NVC later said they never received ?!?)

09/05/2012: Got the pre-invoicing error: "You cannot make online payments for your case at this time. Please contact the NVC if you have questions or need further information."

09/06/2012: AOS Bill paid

09/07/2012: AOS Bill Status Changed to "PAID"

09/10/2012: AOS Package sent

09/12/2012: Sent hardcopy of DS-3032

09/24/2012: IV Bill Invoiced

09/24/2012: IV Bill paid

09/25/2012: IV Bill Status Changed to "PAID"

09/25/2012: IV Package sent

10/04/2012: Case complete at NVC

10/12/2012: Interview scheduled (Interview Date: 12/17/2012)

Embassy

11/05/2012: Embassy received

11/13/2012: Medical

12/17/2012: Interview - Joint Sponsor Required to to my residency in Ireland

12/18/2012: I-864 Sent from US to Embassy

02/01/2013: Visa

04/22/2012: POE

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Peronally I would not even do that.... I would directly fly into Raleigh.

What are the odds of getting the same officer.... personally I have never encountered the same officer ever.

Chances vary based on the traffic through the airport. Raleigh doesn't get a lot of international arrivals, so not a lot of officers.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Ive had the same guy twice, thw two other times I had different officers and no problem

The last time this particular officer saw me he said in a raised voice, " I remember you!What are you doing coming back?I can send you back tonight!" He's sent me to secondary twice and each time his supervisor(also always the same guy) told me he was never going to refuse me entry and didn't even question me! Its like he enjoys watching me turn into an emotional wreck!!!

So Im now scared to death of RDU.

Thankyou all so much for the input and support.

event.png"]My link[/url]

event.png

[/url]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

Hi lynndy38!

I am in a.. sort of, similar situation. I married a US citizen and I plan to visit him in the US. The difference is, we didn't even file for IR-1/CR-1 yet since I do not plan to move to the US before I graduate.

I have been in and out of the US 3 times already and I am flying again tomorrow.

I am hoping there will be no problems at POE. If you want, I will come back here to tell you how it went and what they asked me!

Good luck and I hope your visa process is a speedy one!

flying.gif 2006 - met online  | 2008 - met IRL  | 2011 - engagement  | 2012 - wedding | 2013 - IR-1 | 2014 - child | 2015 - POE | 2018 - N-400  |  2019 - USC 

Check my About me for the full IR-1 or N-400 timeline.

Hi Ivy,

How wonderful you're getting to see your other half tomorrow!!!!

I am sooooooooooo jealous!!

I would appreciate it very much if you'd share your POE experience with me. Have a safe journey and a wonderful time in the US!!!

event.png"]My link[/url]

event.png

[/url]

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

hi lynndy38,

you're going for 8 weeks, im planning to visit for 5+ months! So a lil worried about the trip :s

I have a tourist visa (valid for 6 months per stay). I live with my parents, a freelancer who works from home and don't own property, so am a little worried that the CBP would think I dont have enough ties to home country.

So im going to

- bring our NOA

- mention that we are hvg the interview in Malaysia so I'd have to go back,

- tell them that I've never overstayed during my previous visits to the US (8+ times in the last 4 years).

- show them my return ticket to Malaysia with date before the 6 months is up.

Hopefully that'll be enough and they'd let me in!

Good luck, do share your experience when you go through! I've always gone through ORD, the officers are nice, not so scary. The only 'difficult' CBP officer was in San Fran, because i visited in dec then again in march, so probably the proximity of the two visits. He asked me who i was visiting (my bf at the time) and how much money i had, how come I visited so often (i said im a school teacher so we get a lot of breaks hehe) but in the end he let me in, phew!

I always print my flight itin, I find that it helps. Once I didnt, but I had it in my phone so I just showed that to the CBP and she let me through.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.