sly_wolf

Facebook page calls for American-only hours at U.S. Costco

22 posts in this topic

Many Canadians are taking advantage of the high Canadian dollar by shopping across the border — with cheap milk and gas being two of the big draws — but some Americans are fed up with the cross-border crowd.

Some Bellingham, Wash., residents started a Facebook page calling for American-only hours at the local Costco.

On the Facebook page "Bellingham Costco needs a special time just for Americans," residents write they have seen flats of milk stripped away in seconds.

Some write they have to wait in long lines at the Costco gas station as Canadians fill up first their cars, and then their gas cans.

Some Bellingham, Wa., residents are fed up with British Columbians that are crowding the local Costco, and parking badly in the store's lot. (Facebook)

Others have posted photos of cars with B.C. licence plates that take up more than one parking space.

Some just complain about Canadians being rude.

Ken Oplinger, president of the Bellingham/Whatcom Chamber of Commerce, is urging locals to have patience for their Canadian visitors. Without them, he says, the living situation in the city and county would be quite different.

"In the last two years, our sales tax generation has doubled or tripled the pace in the rest of the state, and it's almost entirely because of the Canadians coming south," he said.

The administrator of the Facebook page, which had over 2,000 "Likes" as of Sunday, posted a message earlier this week telling Canadians they are not being blamed.

Bellingham, WA

"To our Canadian friends on here that think we hate you: You have to look at the root of the problem. Bellingham has laws that keep big box companies from expanding. The overcrowding in this small, slow paced town has agitated people," the note said.

A spokesperson for Costco said the Bellingham store is bursting at the seams, and the company would love to expand the Bellingham store.

It would also like to install more lines and pumps at its gas station, but there's no room to do so on the current property.

While the Bellingham Facebook community page implores Costco to set aside special opening hours for Americans, just as it used to do for preferred customers, some commenters want the Canadians just to go away.

A senior VP told CBC News the store isn't looking to change its policy on shoppers, which is that anyone with a Costco membership can shop at any Costco store in the world.

According to a report by Seattle's KIRO TV, Bellingham police said Costco is now paying for an off-duty officer to handle the parking lot crowd two days a week.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-canadians.html

Funny-quotes-Daffy-Duck.jpg

We have the same type of situation here on the Mass/New Hampshire border. Mass has a 6.25% sales tax and New Hampshire has no sales tax, Massachusetts residents flock over the border to buy goods. Some of the NH border towns complain about the added traffic and congestion, but for the most part they welcome the Mass residents with open arms because of the cash influx into their economy. A lot of the Mass residents make day and weekend trips out of their NH shopping sprees, this also adds a lot of restaurant and hotel business for NH.

Damn those Canadian hordes with money to spend in the USA eh!

I'm sure there were a fair amount of unhappy Canadians back when the Americans used to cross the border for the same reason to cash in on the weaker Canadian dollar.

I'm sure there were a fair amount of unhappy Canadians back when the Americans used to cross the border for the same reason to cash in on the weaker Canadian dollar.

Definitely.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Please don't. Some things cant be unseen once they have been seen...... rofl.gif

:lol:

Recently I saw someone park their truck next to a car with perhaps a 3 inch gap on the drivers side. There was no way the person could get into their car. I mean, really? :bonk:

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

:lol:

Recently I saw someone park their truck next to a car with perhaps a 3 inch gap on the drivers side. There was no way the person could get into their car. I mean, really? :bonk:

I can only speak for my people. Americans are the most inconsiderate drivers I have ever seen, even when they are not driving!! In many occasions I have seen one car taking up two spaces because the driver was too lazy to do a correct three-point and several other 'me me me' attitude when parking.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

I live in a small US border town and we wish more Candians would come shopping here because our town is dying a slow death.

Funny-quotes-Daffy-Duck.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I live in a small US border town and we wish more Candians would come shopping here because our town is dying a slow death.

:( sorry to hear that. Maybe you should start a Facebook group and all the Canadian's can ditch their current place, Bellingham is it? and head to your town to buy their goods :)

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04