SteelFaithU2

Good or bad idea?

54 posts in this topic

Then he needs to show bank deposits of about $60k, and proof of other assets. If not a co-sponsor would be advisable. Just keep in mind Manila don't like co-sponsors with fiancee visas.

Why do you say this? As long as you meet the 125% criteria, no other assets are needed, right?

And where did you get the $60K figure? 125% poverty levels are $18,913 to $28,813 (for families of 2-4) for 2012.

Why do you say this? As long as you meet the 125% criteria, no other assets are needed, right?

And where did you get the $60K figure? 125% poverty levels are $18,913 to $28,813 (for families of 2-4) for 2012.

Your question was: What if he is independently wealthy, and well above the 125% mark?

$3 cash assets = $1 annual income 3 x $18,913= $56,739 would be min amount of cash only for 2 people.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I really appreciate the different opinions because it's a tough choice.

Well, I'm not planning to come back to the US again unless I'm with her. So my plan was to go there, and wait for an NOA2 or RFE and respond to USCIS from the PHI or have my family member respond for me. My main question is, why couldn't I respond to USCIS from the PHI if I have everything they require? I think the only possible piece of evidence they might request is a "long form" birth certificate, but in my state, the kind of birth certificate I have (laminated card birth card, with a seal on the back) is the only kind of birth certificate anyone has. So other than that, I can't imagine what else they would request from me that I don't have.

So I wanted to just wait for a response from VSC, but I'm not really seeing how waiting here in the US is beneficial anymore compared to being with my love.

from my opinion you could respond while youre here. For your info, my I129f was filed from the philippines cause my fiance is here for almost 5 yrs already. we even came to a point of getting an RFE and still our reply came from the philippines. although the waiting time would be extended for a couple of days since u have to get hold of the documents after they arrive to ur place in the US. but u being here and papers beig here wont be a prolem?

03/27/2012- I-129F sent to USCIS

04/02/2012- NOA1 email

04/05/2012- NOA1 hard copy received

07/23/2012- finally some light! RFE via EMAIL

08/05/2012- Sent RFE reply from Philippines

08/09/2012- RFE Reply Response Review Notification Email

08/15/2012- NOA2 Approval via Email

08/22/2012- Hard copy of NOA2 received!

08/24/2012- MNL case number noted!

08/31/2012- Physical Exam at SLEC- Passed!

09/07/2012- Big Day! Interview-> APPROVED!

09/14/2012- CFO Seminar->done!

09/18/2012- Visa on Hand!, CFO Sticker DONE! YAY!!!!

10/04/2012- America Here I Come!!!

10/05/2012- Touchdown Chicago!

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I really appreciate the different opinions because it's a tough choice.

Well, I'm not planning to come back to the US again unless I'm with her. So my plan was to go there, and wait for an NOA2 or RFE and respond to USCIS from the PHI or have my family member respond for me. My main question is, why couldn't I respond to USCIS from the PHI if I have everything they require? I think the only possible piece of evidence they might request is a "long form" birth certificate, but in my state, the kind of birth certificate I have (laminated card birth card, with a seal on the back) is the only kind of birth certificate anyone has. So other than that, I can't imagine what else they would request from me that I don't have.

So I wanted to just wait for a response from VSC, but I'm not really seeing how waiting here in the US is beneficial anymore compared to being with my love.

Bring your Tax Returns or Tax Transcripts for the past 3 yrs. Your fiancee will need that together with the Affidavit of Support & supporting documents for her interview.

Maybe you can order your "long form" certified true copy birth certificate online? They must have a copy of it in the state where you were born?

Edited by let-it-be

Timeline

No need to snap, he or she was just replying based on your output. Truth be told, K-1 with a co-sponsor is harder to come by than a bar of solid gold. If you can show that you are 125% of the 2012 poverty level for the past 2 years, no worries. Go on and enjoy the PI. Visit Bohol and Boracay while you are there!! If you happen to make it to Boracay, visit the Station Three Sports Bar, and tell John Barkel that Dave and Mark Bell sent ya. Might get you a free beer!

Cheers, I appreciate the advice and the positive remarks. I'm not sure where we'll vacation right now, but I'd consider those places you mentioned; but honestly, I prefer going to places most tourists don't go to. Baguio was an exception though because I really love the climate and how everything looked there.

I've made over the required income for some time now, and i was only making less income last year due to being in University and also going for my CNA license, so I'm sure they'd understand that. As of this year I've been making plenty of income, and that's the only evidence I see them requesting, so I don't see any proof that we're in danger of denial. Her interview should be in September or maybe October anyhow, and i'll be earning income up until late next month, so I don't see why they'd have an issue....

Besides that, what do I need to do for the Affadavit of Support? Do both my Mom and I need to fill out separate I-134's, or do we need I-864's as well? What should I get from my mother, because I need to ask her to gather the required documents before I leave next month. Tell me if I'm right though, but we both need: I-134 (and I-864), Bank Statements, Recent pay stubs (a months worth or more), Tax Returns from 2011 + 2010, and any other substantial assets we might have?

Thanks everyone for the help!

Timeline

Oh, I also wanted to ask if it's still necessary for me to get my long form birth certificate? Our NOA2 was approved, and I sent them my original birth card (with seal on the back), so I imagine it must have been a problem. I just don't want to get to the PHI and the Embassy gives me a problem about it, even if VSC approved it with our NOA2.

Besides that, what do I need to do for the Affadavit of Support? Do both my Mom and I need to fill out separate I-134's, or do we need I-864's as well? What should I get from my mother, because I need to ask her to gather the required documents before I leave next month. Tell me if I'm right though, but we both need: I-134 (and I-864), Bank Statements, Recent pay stubs (a months worth or more), Tax Returns from 2011 + 2010, and any other substantial assets we might have?

You need:

I-134

2011 Federal Income Tax Return

2011 W-2/1099

Employer's letter

Recent paycheck stubs showing that your current sustained income is above 125% of the poverty line on an annualized basis.

Your joint sponsor needs:

I-134 (or you can try to submit an I-864)

2011 Federal Income Tax Return

2011 W-2/1099

Employer's Letter

Recent paycheck stubs

Proof of citizenship

Oh, I also wanted to ask if it's still necessary for me to get my long form birth certificate?

No one can say whether you will need it or not, but it's a wise idea to have it.

Timeline

Thank you Tahoma!

Also, any suggestions about how I should access and use money in the PHI? The first time I went, i just withdrew money from the ATM, but the fees from my bank were really high so It turned out being a really bad idea.

ATM fees shouldn't be too bad, mine weren't. Credit cards DO get hit with a foreign transaction fee. If you can, open an account with a bank such as USAA, they refund the first $15 in ATM fees each month. Or take cash and deposit it into her PI bank account, or open one if she doesn't have one. Taking cash works purty good, up to $10K.

You can either send yourself money or use the atm. My fiance lives out in the provinces of Mindanao and there are NO atm's or credit machines there. It is all cash. So I usually have at least 20-30,000 peso on me at all times. Just in case of a emergency.

But like the past posts said. Why not wait until the interview is scheduled and leave then. Because you are just wasting all that time earning a paycheck and money.

Yes, I would have loved to be with my mahal for 3 months, but economically it just wasn't feasible. But I was there for her interview and it went fine.

Edited by cyberfx1024

Timeline

I don't know how I feel about carrying all that cash on me in PHI though, it is very high risk of robbery and theft - depending on where you go of course. I know how to defend myself, but I'd rather avoid problems. I'll try to carry cash on me though and deposit it in my fiance's account though.

Do you guys know what's the best way to get a longer temporary visa to stay in the PHI? I read you cna apply for a 6 month tourist visa, but I'm not sure if it can all be done by mail, or if they will need me to travel to the closest consulate (which is NYC for me)to obtain it. That would be a hassle to have to travel all the way to NYC to get a tourist visa, but their website instructions don't mention if you have to or not?

Thanks again!

Also, any suggestions about how I should access and use money in the PHI? The first time I went, i just withdrew money from the ATM, but the fees from my bank were really high so It turned out being a really bad idea.

I paid for all the big-ticket items with a credit card. I really didn't use the ATM very often. When I did use the ATM, I withdrew the maximum, which was $200 (about Php9,000). I didn't sweat the $5 ATM fee.

I usually have at least 20-30,000 peso on me at all times.

When will you be visiting 'Pinas? PM me. :jest:

Do you guys know what's the best way to get a longer temporary visa to stay in the PHI? I read you can apply for a 6-month tourist visa, but I'm not sure if it can all be done by mail, or if they will need me to travel to the closest consulate (which is NYC for me) to obtain it. That would be a hassle to have to travel all the way to NYC to get a tourist visa, but their website instructions don't mention if you have to or not?

There's lots of threads about that topic. Just use the search function. I remember that you can renew your visa in 'Pinas beyond the 21-day automatic visa, but I forgot where you go to renew it. Is it the DFA?

Or, you can just pay the penalty at the airport when you leave. Either way, I understand it's about the same price.

Timeline

When will you be visiting 'Pinas? PM me. :jest:

Me Too!!:whistle:

Sent NOA1 April 30th 2011

received May 2nd 2011

NOA1 Notice Date:May 4th 2011

NOA 2 txt/ email on july 18th 2011

NOA 2 received in Mail July 20th dated July 18th 2011

NOA2 in "74" days!

NO RFE

Personal issue in the Philippines

Medical Exam: March 22nd 2012

Medical Cleared on March 23rd 2012

Interview Date:April 16th, 2012......PASSED

Arrival Los Angeles California: July 7th 2012.

Marriage September 7th 2012 at San Bernardino County Hall of Records

Preparing for AOS

"I Wholly disapprove of what you say, But I will defend to the death, Your RIGHT to say it"

" _ Volitaire- "

Timeline

I don't know how I feel about carrying all that cash on me in PHI though, it is very high risk of robbery and theft - depending on where you go of course. I know how to defend myself, but I'd rather avoid problems. I'll try to carry cash on me though and deposit it in my fiance's account though.

Do you guys know what's the best way to get a longer temporary visa to stay in the PHI? I read you cna apply for a 6 month tourist visa, but I'm not sure if it can all be done by mail, or if they will need me to travel to the closest consulate (which is NYC for me)to obtain it. That would be a hassle to have to travel all the way to NYC to get a tourist visa, but their website instructions don't mention if you have to or not?

Thanks again!

You can extend the 21 days stay in the Philippines by simply applying for "extension" at the Bureau of Immigration. This is the link : http://immigration.g...d=118&Itemid=43

Edited by let-it-be

Timeline

You can extend the 21 days stay in the Philippines by simply applying for "extension" at the Bureau of Immigration. This is the link : http://immigration.g...d=118&Itemid=43

toinks wacko.gif the grammar! rofl.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.