SteelFaithU2

Good or bad idea?

54 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I agree Todd, and that's what i'm doing, I'll be there for her interview 100%! For her interview though, will I need any original documents, or can i leave my originals here in the US and scan all the documents and evidence we have to her computer in the PHI? When I go there, either before or after NOA2, I don't want to leave anything behind or forget anything we will need; so are scanned copies all I need for the interview or do I need originals?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
:innocent: :innocent: :innocent: I would go if I were you, just bring all the important documents with you so you can react no matter where you are.

03-09-2012: NOA1

09-12-2012: NOA2

10-01-2012: Package 3

10-13-2012: Package 4

10-22-2012: Medical

10-29-2012: Interview, approved!!!

12-23-2012: POE Boston

event.png

event.png

event.png

I agree Todd, and that's what i'm doing, I'll be there for her interview 100%! For her interview though, will I need any original documents, or can i leave my originals here in the US and scan all the documents and evidence we have to her computer in the PHI? When I go there, either before or after NOA2, I don't want to leave anything behind or forget anything we will need; so are scanned copies all I need for the interview or do I need originals?

Scanned copies of any supportive evidence is fine, but it is a good idea to have the originals on hand. The CO could easily ask to see an original document. Government documents should always be original with original signatures.

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Well, I'm not planning to come back to the US again unless I'm with her.

It could easily be three months until she gets her visa. If you are prepared to stay that long, I say go for it.

Timeline

Good to know Todd, I'll be sure to bring original copies with me that I have.

I can stay for over 3 months without a problem financially or with my job; I was only a bit worried with Immigration because I won't be receiving vacation time for all that time. Although I will have an employment letter stating everything I need to show Immigration I have a job to go back to once we return to the States, and I do have all my recent pay stubs; I also have my mother as my co-sponsor. I just hope they wouldn't give me a problem with not having pay stubs within a month of the interview...

You been working a job for 3 months, now you plan to take off work for 3 months and go to the PI and wait there until the visa is approved, and you also need a co-sponsor? Good luck with that. :blink:

Waiting for NOA2? No need. It will happen whether or not you are in the USA. I was in Afghanistan when my NOA2 got mailed, but I never got it. Yet USEM received the packet from USCIS. Makes no difference where you are physically. As long as you have someone to open a letter from USCIS in the event of a RFE who can scan it to you, why stay? If your job allows, and you have the time, why not go? That being said, you probably won't be going back within 3 months.... it will probably take longer. As has been said, take everything with you that you might need (birth cert, passport, of course, divorce decrees, etc. that might be needed, or at the very least have a family member who can scan them over to you). The ONLY document that needs to be an original is the I-134, and you will be signing that yourself in the PI.

Timeline
You been working a job for 3 months, now you plan to take off work for 3 months and go to the PI and wait there until the visa is approved, and you also need a co-sponsor? Good luck with that.

I worked at my previous job for nearly 2 years, and i only stopped working there due to my client being moved to a Nursing home due to his condition, so things just didn't work out as I'd like to in that regard because I obviously would have preferred to have that as my current job for the Affidavit of Support, but life doesn't always work as as we plan. So it's not like I only been earning income for 3 months...

Secondly, I don't NEED a co-sponsor, I make plenty of income right now: I was only going to have a co-sponsor because I thought it would help increase the chances of approval due to my past couple years of being a student, even if our chances are fine right now it seems.

So keep your sarcastic replies to yourself, no one on this forum needs it.

As has been said, take everything with you that you might need (birth cert, passport, of course, divorce decrees, etc. that might be needed, or at the very least have a family member who can scan them over to you). The ONLY document that needs to be an original is the I-134, and you will be signing that yourself in the PI.

Thanks for the info! I got my NOA2 today anyhow, so I'm not worried for an RFE now, I'll be leaving next month - very excited! Good luck to the rest of you waiting and thanks to everyone with the positive and helpful replies!

Edited by SteelFaithU2

No need to snap, he or she was just replying based on your output. Truth be told, K-1 with a co-sponsor is harder to come by than a bar of solid gold. If you can show that you are 125% of the 2012 poverty level for the past 2 years, no worries. Go on and enjoy the PI. Visit Bohol and Boracay while you are there!! If you happen to make it to Boracay, visit the Station Three Sports Bar, and tell John Barkel that Dave and Mark Bell sent ya. Might get you a free beer!

I worked at my previous job for nearly 2 years, and i only stopped working there due to my client being moved to a Nursing home due to his condition, so things just didn't work out as I'd like to in that regard because I obviously would have preferred to have that as my current job for the Affidavit of Support, but life doesn't always work as as we plan. So it's not like I only been earning income for 3 months...

Secondly, I don't NEED a co-sponsor, I make plenty of income right now: I was only going to have a co-sponsor because I thought it would help increase the chances of approval due to my past couple years of being a student, even if our chances are fine right now it seems.

So keep your sarcastic replies to yourself, no one on this forum needs it.

That was not a meant to be sarcastic, but a negative vote for you going to the PI now. You will only have a letter from employer stating length of employment, you need to back that up with current pay subs as close to the I-134 filing as possible to prove current income. If your on a leave of absence and have no income during that time, that could affect approval. They look at current income, length of employment very hard. Your odds of being approved is much better if you wait, stay home and work until the visa is approved.

Your odds of being approved is much better if you wait, stay home and work until the visa is approved.

Hard to say that for sure. What if he is independently wealthy, and well above the 125% mark?

Hard to say that for sure. What if he is independently wealthy, and well above the 125% mark?

Then he needs to show bank deposits of about $60k, and proof of other assets. If not a co-sponsor would be advisable. Just keep in mind Manila don't like co-sponsors with fiancee visas.

I'm considering booking my flight and heading back to PHI before I receive my NOA2. I'm expecting to get it sometime this month, maybe even this week, but I don't want to wait any longer and want to just be with my fiance. What is the possible problems I could face by doing so? I figured if we did get a RFE for some reason, I can just leave any or all information USCIS might need with my family member, and they would send it to them or fix any forms that the RFE requests. I can only imagine getting an RFE for something minor, so I don't see why we should suffer any longer and wait.

Any suggestions?

I just read you timeline. Your NOA2 is approved so you are in the home stretch. After all the back and forth in your thread I would wait this out for a few weeks until your medical and interview is set. Many people go for the medical and interviews so don't sweat. As many have already stated, have your docs ready to go and someone able to send them to you just in case. Make sure all of your ducks are in a row before you leave. Read the Examples Forms and checklists. There is a alot to do once the NOA2 is approved.. Good Luck! You seem to be near the end...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.