Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Skype Skype Skype - great for long distance relationship :devil:

We met online, both in our 40's she did not speak english and I did not know portuguese.

Yes skype, email, text. I learned portuguese, helpe ALOT, traveled to Brasil from USA every 2-3 months for 18 months until our fiance visa approved. Married over 2 years now, gets better every day! Definately worth the wait

Edited by bluexdiver

Of course internet dating works -- it seems like 95% of everyone on VJ met over the internet and then in real life twice and then got married all within 5 months time! The plus side to that is the i-130 takes weeks to process. Unlike those of us who met their spouse in real life, like me. Our i-130 took 8 months to process. I guess internet daters have an advantage.

USCIS - CSC/LOCAL OFFICE DC

12/5/11: NOA1

4/25/12: Case Transferred to Local Office (DC) for "Additional Processing"

4/27/12: Case Received at Local Office

5/15/12: RFE (daughter's birth cert)

5/15/12: RFE Evidence Sent (never received)

8/10/12: Infopass, evidence handed to officer adjudicating case

8/13/12: NOA2

NVC

8/20/12: Case Received

8/31/12: Case #/IIN Received

8/31/12: DS3032 Sent

9/11/12: ERROR MESSAGE! biggrin.png

9/13/12: AOS and IV bill INVOICED, Made AOS and IV bill payments, Mailed AOS and IV paperwork via USPS Priority Mail

9/14/12: AOS/IV marked as PAID

9/17/12: AOS delivered

9/20/12: IV delivered

9/25/12: AOS reviewed/accepted

9/26/12: IV reviewed/accepted

9/26/12: CASE COMPLETE11/27/12: Received Interview Date

01/11/13: Interview in San Salvador

03/15/13: 2nd Interview in SNS due to delayed medical report

I-601

3/21/13: Mailed to lockbox

3/22/13: Received at lockbox

9/25/13: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

We did not meet over the internet but it sure made everything ongoing after that possible... From researching for visa information and the marriage process in a different country to daily communication including email, Skype, IMs, etc.. I'm not sure how I would have proceeded without it.. I guess I could have made lots of phone calls and hired an attorney for the paperwork park.. Even the planning of visits with finding apartments and scheduling multiple airline carriers to get workable times at decent prices would have been painful.

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I didn't meet my husband over the internet, but I know at least 2 persons who are active on online dating in real life. They are both looking for Asian women from Asia. I also know a girl from Thailand who married to her USC husband whom she met through facebook.

Married May 2011

10/07/2011: NOA1

12/15/2011: NOA2

01/12/2012: NVC case number arrived

01/13/2012: DS-3032 emailed

01/27/2012: Barcode arrived via e-mail

03/06/2012: I-864&DS-230 sent together

03/13/2012: RFE

04/16/2012: Additional documents sent

05/02/2012: NVC case complete

05/14/2012: Medical

06/04/2012: Interview--->approved

06/05/2012: Visa arrived in mail

LAX POE Review

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I met my wife when she was an exchange student in Sweden. When her semester in Sweden was over we continued a long distance relationship (lots of Skype, hours a day) until she was done with her bachelors degree. She spent a semester in Australia and then a final semester back in the U.S. After she had graduated she moved to Sweden and went to grad school here. Now after spending a little over three years in Sweden we are heading to the U.S. since she is more likely to find a job in her field there.

I did not meet my husband on the internet as it had barely been invented then! We met and became a couple in 1993 and have been married since 1996. Chris is a dual national so has lived on both sides of the Atlantic. We have four children. For us it is just the case that the time has come to give America a go. My husband has been wanting to return to the US for 20 years but circumstances always made it tricky. We have simply reached the now or never point. We are together as a family either in the UK or in the US so we are not in the same challenging position as many other VJers but we are very much committed to making emigration work.

As for the second part of your question, obviously my experience and situation is completely different but I just wanted to say that all relationships start from something small and grow and evolve over time. The internet is just a new way of meeting people as far as I am concerned and it just presents different challenges in a relationship but all relationships have challenges to be overcome ... even when you have been together as long as we have.

Married a US/UK dual national in 1996 and had four children together.
Immigration Timeline: I130 Approval November 2012; Interview July 2013; Immigration October 2013. (Note, however, that we chose to stall the process for personal scheduling reasons)
As a family of six, we relocated from Argyll in Scotland to Pennsylvania in October 2013. 

I applied for Citizenship in October 2017 and am currently waiting for an Interview date.

Met my husband on the internet - a message board for the the rock band Rush :) 5 years of marriage and a daughter later, we're still as happy as can be. Though I don't think the interwebs or in person meeting will necessarily dictate long term happiness. It's about finding the right person for you, wherever that may happen.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I met my wife on a bus. She was sitting with her cousin and a friend of theirs. We exchanged some smiles and the rest, as they say, is history. I spent 2.5 months with her, then returned to Thailand every 4th month for 4 weeks at a time. During that time we traveled together quite a bit and had a great time (kept in touch via email and telephone when I wasn't in the country). We married after a year of dating when I was there for a month and a few months later I returned to Thailand to live there. I was there a year (during which time we had a son) and then we decided we'd rather our son grow up in the States, so I returned to work and we began the visa process.

I guess I'm fortunate in that my wife and I were able to spend so much time together compared to most the couples on VJ. We're not worried about what it's going to be like when we live together in the States because we've already lived together in Thailand, so there shouldn't be any bad surprises in that department. We know each other extremely well (both good and bad things) and are very comfortable with one another. We don't have to work on our relationship because it comes naturally to the both of us.

Just because a couple met on the Internet doesn't mean their relationship is doomed for failure, but I'm glad my wife and I had the opportunity to meet and fall in love in person rather than on-line, as I don't think that's for me. Still, I don't think it's the start of the relationship that matters, but rather the journey that counts.

Edited by ThailandToFlorida

My timeline was last updated on 29MAR2013.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just because a couple met on the Internet doesn't mean their relationship is doomed for failure, but I'm glad my wife and I had the opportunity to meet and fall in love in person rather than on-line, as I don't think that's for me. Still, I don't think it's the start of the relationship that matters, but rather the journey that counts.

Thanks for sharing and I am glad it is working out for you :)

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

My husband and I met on Second Life...kind of a place to go...in your computer. We both met on a "Sim" simulation of Sturgis, called Slurgis, a simulated biker place. We then "cyber dated" on Second Life for quite awhile until we discovered Skype. Then we did both.

-Blu-

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Amsterdam

02-27-09: I-129F Sent

03-10-09: I-129F NOA1

06-10-09: I-129F NOA2

06-17-09: Rec'vd by NVC

06-18-09: STUCK IN NVC AP

06-25-09: FINALLY petition on it's way to the embassy

06-29-09: DHL delivered our packet to the embassy in Amsterdam

07-01-09: Rec'd Packet 3!!!!

08-01-09: Rec'd Packet 4

08-25-09: Interview date...APPROVED!!!!

12/12/09: Fiancee arrival date WOOOT!

02/20/10: Married and SOOOO happy!

04/20/10: Sent off AOS (finally!)

05/03/10: Rec'd AOS NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I met him on a business trip in Philippines. I went back a few months later to see him for a short trip... I knew by then I wanted to be with him... We tried calling and emailing... The long distance was difficult for us with our busy schedules and it took more time before we decided to be exclusive. Now we have adjusted to our schedules I guess bc we chat online regularly. Also I will see him in November. I read somewhere that if you spend everyday thinking about something then why would you want to spend your life without it? Something like that anyway. Some of my friends and family don't understand, they want me to marry an American. I don't care what anyone thinks, he's the only man for me.

We met on a penpals site.

We are both nerdy, sci-fi people so it just kinda clicked!

11/29/12 - AOS Interview in Atlanta - 10 minutes long and approved on the spot.

ROC in 2014!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.