dstrausser83

Pregnancy Help; Not Enough $$$; What to do?

95 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Where did you get this information. I read that prenatal and postpartum care is taken care of. I posted that earlier.

Pregnant women are covered for all care related to the pregnancy, delivery and any complications that may occur during pregnancy and up to 60 days postpartum.

Talk with your local office and see what they say. This is according to medicaid website.

She isn't eligible for medicaid, only emergency medicaid.

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

You probably want to know the doctor and hospital you are using for you c-section.

You will need at least one appointment with the OB for the c-section.

Are you sure you will qualify for Medicaid?- we don't.

------

Just for your own interest our experience-

We were told pregnancy , prenatal, antenatal and birth with our OB is around $5000 + labs/diagnostics and ultrasounds, ultrasounds are around $3-600 each.

The hospital is $ 5-7000 + labs and extras for a VB (vaginal birth) add $2-5000 for a c-section.

We were told we wouldn't be eligible for medicaid/ Medicare (could have been cause of wages or could have been the affidavit of support).

----

Of course you may have a totally different situation and be eligible for everything and have hardly any out of pocket expenses... But I think it's best to find out and be 100% sure to protect yourself, you'd hate to use medicaid and then be made to pay back $14000 to the government later.

---

Edit: Also if your fiancée has a high risk pregnancy , it may be better to see an OB rather than a midwife.

**This is why we are seeing an OB.

Ok, what I am saying about the medicaid stuff is that she DOES NOT qualify. However, if it is due to an life threatening emergency (i.e. giving birth) she will qualify. From what I understand we will have to fill out the paperwork at the hospital.

I am getting my knowledge from first hand experience. 10 years ago when I was 19 I was stupid, met the wrong chick, got her pregnant and got a loving son. We did a I129F originally. When she got pregnant, about 2 years later, she applied for Medicaid she got rejected due to being an immigrant within 5 years. After that, we were told to reapply during labor because it would be a life or death emergency and she would get accepted. She did. Her whole hospital stay for 3 days (due to c-section) was covered as well as my sons.

I imagine the same rules apply.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

LPRs aren't eligible for medicaid for five years, except for emergencies. If she somehow did manage to get Medicaid her sponsor could be sued for the entire amount paid out. It is a different process for someone who came here legally and had a sponsor and for someone who just came "for a visit" and forgot to leave.

Edited by belinda63

I think some home births are not covered by Medicaid. Is she sees OBGYN then she can be covered and get Package E mediciad which offive visit is not coverd only delivery. She still can apply for medicaid even withouht SS# as in here in Indiana. Pregnant women still covered even they are undocumented same benefits if you are a GC holder and been living in the US for less than 5 years. It is a fact because i work in OB unit and does insurance stuff.

Petition for my Mom

11/11/12 - Sent application
11/15/12 - Priority date
11/ /12 - NOA1
01/15/13 - RFE noticed recieved
01/17/13 - Mailed RFE documents
01/26/13 - APPROVED

NVC JOURNEY

02/04/13 - Case recieved
02/25/13 - Case number assigned
02/28/13 - Recieved email from NVC
02/28/13 - Sent Choice of Agent from beneficiary email add
02/28/13 - Paid AOS bill
03/06/13 - AOS "paid"
03/08/13 - Choice of agent accepted
03/11/13 - Recived IV bill
03/12/13 - Sent AOS packaged
03/27/13 - Recieved RFE for I-864A
04/02/13 - Re send I-864A
07/01/13 - Paid IV bill

07/29/13 - Sent IV Packet

08/01/13 - NVC Recieved Packet

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

However, if it is due to an life threatening emergency (i.e. giving birth) she will qualify.

I'm sorry, unless she has some pre-existing medical condition, giving birth is not a life threatening emergency.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Timeline

I think some home births are not covered by Medicaid. Is she sees OBGYN then she can be covered and get Package E mediciad which offive visit is not coverd only delivery. She still can apply for medicaid even withouht SS# as in here in Indiana. Pregnant women still covered even they are undocumented same benefits if you are a GC holder and been living in the US for less than 5 years. It is a fact because i work in OB unit and does insurance stuff.

So does anybody in California know exactly how it is out here specifically? I work in California, but I reside in Mexico. It just so happens I got my job in California and this is how we could make it work and be together. I don't really know how this stuff works in California. When I did it with my ex-wife, we did it in Pennsylvania, where I am from.

Filed: Timeline

Mostly, P-CAP explanation was for other pregnants. I see in OP's most recent post,just now, that he knows more than I was explaining. In OP's case, he is looking for temp. relief and possibly complicated pregnancy/birthing, where mid-wife maybe a dangerous option. Once complications are dealt with, she should definitely go on his insurance.

Again, P-CAP explanation is mostly for other pregnants in need

Edited by SingleDad2usc

I think some home births are not covered by Medicaid
. Is she sees OBGYN then she can be covered and get Package E mediciad which offive visit is not coverd only delivery. She still can apply for medicaid even withouht SS# as in here in Indiana. Pregnant women still covered even they are undocumented same benefits if you are a GC holder and been living in the US for less than 5 years. It is a fact because i work in OB unit and does insurance stuff.

Please explain that statement, because it doesn't make sense. IF sh gave birth at home with no medical personell in attendance there would be no charge.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Giving birth is one of the things an emergency room cannot turn you away for. Threat to life or limb, or imminent birth. Any emergency room has to provide care no matter your status or ability to pay.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Just make sure you are very careful with what is covered, there is another HOT thread about a guy in deep trouble/debt with the US since they used the medicaid system when she was clearly ineligable. You dont want uncle sam knocking on your door (who ever else sponsored the K1) asking for tens of thousands of dollars in hospital, medicine, etc. bills.

Good Luck.

USCIS:

06/06/2012: Sent I-130 to VSC (as LPR)

06/08/2012: NOA1 (Priority Date)

06/12/2012: Touched

08/20/2012: Mailed VSC request for Upgrade to CR1

08/23/2012: Opened Request with USCIS for Upgrade to CR1

08/27/2012: Got Email confirming upgrade to IR1/CR1

11/13/2012: NOA2

NVC:

11/16/2012: NVC Received (NVC # not ready)

11/19/2012: BOG number/IIN - Gave emails

11/19/2012: Choice of Agent email sent

11/20/2012: AOS bill invoiced

11/20/2012: AOS bill paid shows in process

11/21/2012: AOS package sent

11/21/2012: AOS bill shows PAID

11/21/2012: Choice of Agent email sent (again)

11/21/2012: Choice of Agent email accepted

11/23/2012: IV bill invoiced

11/23/2012: IV bill paid

11/26/2012: IV package sent

11/26/2012: IV bill shows PAID

12/07/2012: AOS accepted

12/10/2012: IV Accepted

12/10/2012: Case complete

12/13/2012: Interview scheduled

US Embassy Bogota:

01/25/2013: Lab Visit

01/28/2013: Medical

01/30/2013: Interview

02/05/2013: Email Waybill (5PM)

02/06/2013: Visa in hand

02/08/2013: POE JFK, NY

I'm sorry, unless she has some pre-existing medical condition, giving birth is not a life threatening emergency.

Incorrect statement, giving birth can be life threathing to both the mother and child. Have you ever given birth? Sadly mothers and babies die everyday, going through this medical process.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

Timeline

Giving birth is one of the things an emergency room cannot turn you away for. Threat to life or limb, or imminent birth. Any emergency room has to provide care no matter your status or ability to pay.

Yes.... my thing is getting to delivery room. I am thinking that Life'sJouneys opinion may be best, the midwife. I even checked out Planned Parenthood, but apparently, they only assist you in aborting babies in San Diego, not preserving life. What about charitable organizations? Do they even exist for this type of stuff. Like I can pay a few bucks out of pocket, I don't want a free ride by anymeans, but I am capped off at maybe $75 or $100 a month MAX only after we get married because I'll be paying that much less in taxes.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Midwife may not be the best option as I said before if the wife has fibroids/ myoma that will complicate the pregnancy. It may be best/ safest to be monitored by an OBGYN.

If you have myoma, chances of preterm labor are higher, needing a c-section 5x or more higher, you have an increased risk of miscarriage and placenta problems.

Those things (above) are why an OBGYN would be what I would recommend. Midwives are great for low risk pregnancies,but a pregnancy with complications (in my opinion) is best dealt with by an OB.

I know there are more risk factors but I do not have my text books with me... sorry.

Edited by Xanax

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Incorrect statement, giving birth can be life threathing to both the mother and child. Have you ever given birth?

Correction, giving birth "can" be... Not IS. After 15 plus years in the emergency room.. No one deems child birth life threatening from the concept unless a pre-existing medical condition exists. To say it is life threatening without knowing would be PURE speculation.

Maternal mortality happens in 13 of 100,000 live births. Death from childbirth is rare.

The point I was making is that you can't go to medicaid asking for assistance ahead of time based on an emergency that has not happened.

In the OP's opening statement

I understand that when the child is born, that the birth will be covered under emergency medicare, but that's it.

How can that assumption be made unless there is a pre-existing condition that would endanger the mother during childbirth?

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.