dstrausser83

Pregnancy Help; Not Enough $$$; What to do?

95 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Well when we filed for the I129F she wasn't pregnant. She was on birth control. They stopped selling her birth control in Mexico. We had to switch brands. She is pregnant, not the best timing for the pregnancy, but we are dealing with it accordingly.

I make enough money for her to come to the USA no problem. We need to come here now to get married. I have health insurance with my current job, but they only pay for mine. To add her onto my policy it will be an extra $475 a month, when the child is born to go into a family plan it will be an extra $900 a month. I only make $3k a month and after taxes its about $2,300. Rent in San Diego is about $1,000. Plus child support from my previous marriage ($350 a month). Its not enough to go around. Next year, financially I will be set. My commissions will start coming through and we won't have many more problems. I just got my degree, and I am working in a new industry and it takes about 12 - 16 months for the sales process to go through. So about 9 months or so, things will start looking good. My problem is though we need assistance with the pregnancy now, once we get into the United States due to her pregnancy. I don't know what to do since she won't qualify for anything when we get married. Her pregnancy really puts a wrench in our financial plans and while I can afford the baby, we won't have enough money to afford the birth and leading up to the birth.

What can I do. What type of options are available? I understand that when the child is born, that the birth will be covered under emergency medicare, but that's it. I can't afford the doctor appointments, medicines, or any other care. Any advice?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

What can I do. What type of options are available? I understand that when the child is born, that the birth will be covered under emergency medicare, but that's it. I can't afford the doctor appointments, medicines, or any other care. Any advice?

I can't even begin to interpret the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act for Non-Citizens. I have tried several times and 2 bottles of aspirin later I gave up. So, I can't speculate as to whether she qualifies or not, but, if indeed she qualifies for medicaid then it would include prenatal and postpartum care.

Edited by Que Saudade

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

I agree, she should have the baby at home, or she could enter the US close to the delivery date and use emergency medicaid if she wants to have it on US soil.

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Timeline

I agree, she should have the baby at home, or she could enter the US close to the delivery date and use emergency medicaid if she wants to have it on US soil.

Right, well she is not Mexican. She is Peruvian. We live on the border with San Diego so that I can maintain my career so that doesn't help us either. Thanks for your advice guys. I am starting to think I am just royally screwed.

Plus having my child born out of America disqualifies them from President of the USA.... Yes, its a long shot, but who I am to limit his path. I want all doors open ;)

Right, well she is not Mexican. She is Peruvian. We live on the border with San Diego so that I can maintain my career so that doesn't help us either. Thanks for your advice guys. I am starting to think I am just royally screwed.

Plus having my child born out of America disqualifies them from President of the USA.... Yes, its a long shot, but who I am to limit his path. I want all doors open ;)

INQUIRE ABOUT A PAYMENT PLAN WITH A NURSE MID-WIFE PROGRAM, IT'S 50% CHEAPER than a birth in a hospital.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

Timeline

INQUIRE ABOUT A PAYMENT PLAN WITH A NURSE MID-WIFE PROGRAM, IT'S 50% CHEAPER THan a birth in a hospital.

Awesome but from what I understand, the birth at the hospital will be covered by emergency medicare... nothing else leading up to that will be though, thats my problem.

Awesome but from what I understand, the birth at the hospital will be covered by emergency medicare... nothing else leading up to that will be though, thats my problem.

Do the entire pregnancy pre and post care thru the nurse-midwfe, only use the medicaid if the birth is complicated. There are some very excellent nurse-mid wife programs out there. All NMW programs have an MD on staff aswell.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

I believe yyour wife will not be eligible to emergency Medicare. You will be responsible for the costs, as agreed in the affidavit of support you must sign in order to bring her to the US.

However if your decision is made, you can work out a payment plan with the hospital so you can make good on the bills.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

Do the entire pregnancy pre and post care thru the nurse-midwfe, only use the medicaid if the birth is complicated.

It will be a c-sections. She has tumors (myomas) that are going to complicate the pregnancy and is a guaranteed c-section. But for everything else, a midwife would work, right?

I believe yyour wife will not be eligible to emergency Medicare. You will be responsible for the costs, as agreed in the affidavit of support you must sign in order to bring her to the US.

However if your decision is made, you can work out a payment plan with the hospital so you can make good on the bills.

My ex-wife was a i129f too; she was eligibile for the emergency medicare (she was pregnant though after being in the country for 2 years). It's a life or death situation so she was covered. Also, I believe that they do it for the child more than her.

Edited by dstrausser83

It will be a c-sections. She has tumors (myomas) that are going to complicate the pregnancy and is a guaranteed c-section. But for everything else, a midwife would work, right?

Correct, and they will work with you'll and the hospital for the proper birthing care.

Timeline

Correct, and they will work with you'll and the hospital for the proper birthing care.

Thank you Life'sJourney... I would've never thought of a midwife.

Thank you Life'sJourney... I would've never thought of a midwife.

You are welcome... Joke, next time cap it. Congratulations and good luck. There are some excellent nurse-mid wife centers out there, seek references from your healhth care insurance, even though the wife is not covered they can give recommendations on good facilities.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Where did you get this information. I read that prenatal and postpartum care is taken care of. I posted that earlier.

Pregnant women are covered for all care related to the pregnancy, delivery and any complications that may occur during pregnancy and up to 60 days postpartum.

Talk with your local office and see what they say. This is according to medicaid website.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You probably want to know the doctor and hospital you are using for you c-section.

You will need at least one appointment with the OB for the c-section.

Are you sure you will qualify for Medicaid?- we don't.

------

Just for your own interest our experience-

We were told pregnancy , prenatal, antenatal and birth with our OB is around $5000 + labs/diagnostics and ultrasounds, ultrasounds are around $3-600 each.

The hospital is $ 5-7000 + labs and extras for a VB (vaginal birth) add $2-5000 for a c-section.

We were told we wouldn't be eligible for medicaid/ Medicare (could have been cause of wages or could have been the affidavit of support).

----

Of course you may have a totally different situation and be eligible for everything and have hardly any out of pocket expenses... But I think it's best to find out and be 100% sure to protect yourself, you'd hate to use medicaid and then be made to pay back $14000 to the government later.

---

Edit: Also if your fiancée has a high risk pregnancy , it may be better to see an OB rather than a midwife.

**This is why we are seeing an OB.

---

Goodluck and congratulations whatever the outcome of your care decisions :) babies are amazing!

Edited by Xanax

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.