madtownguy

philippines internet

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sorry this isn't really visa related but thought some people here might have solved the problem. My fiances internet has slowed down a lot lately and I'm not a big fan of slow internet. She said there is no way to get faster internet but I have to think there is satelite or something that would be faster. Anyone else experience this and find a way to resolve it in the Philippines?

Sorry this isn't really visa related but thought some people here might have solved the problem. My fiances internet has slowed down a lot lately and I'm not a big fan of slow internet. She said there is no way to get faster internet but I have to think there is satelite or something that would be faster. Anyone else experience this and find a way to resolve it in the Philippines?

Where is your fiance lives in Philippines? I never had problem w/ internet connection and I live in Makati. It might be the plan and subscriber that your fiance currently have.

Met my husband 2007
Officially Girlfriend and Boyfriend March 2008
Engaged/Asked permission to my family June 2008
Marriage October 2009
File I130 November 2009
File I129F November 2009

December 15,2009 CFO ( Commission on Filipinos Overseas)

Feb. 6, 2010 change passport to married name
I129F Approved February 18, 2010
I130 Approved March 9, 2010
Medical March 30 & 31, 2010 passed
Choice of Agent April 1, 2010
Interview April 12, 2010 AP reason NBI
IV FEE April 19, 2010 $400
NBI Interview May 14, 2010 written explanation
June 15, 2010 DS-230, finger scanning and swearing-in for CR1
June 17, 2010 Petition upgrade from K3 to CR1 Approved Thank you Lord
June 19, 2010 13:54 Saturday Visa in hand
July 10, 2010 Port of Entry Detroit.
July 19, 2010 Letter from POE filled out for
September 14, 2010 1st Welcome Letter from USCIS
September 17, 2010 2nd Welcome Letter from USCIS
September 20, 2010 Green Card yeheyyyy
December 22, 2010 Social Security Card
March 3, 2011 State ID
April 30, 2012 File Removal of Condition
May 5, 2012 Received and encash check
May 7, 2012 NO1 and 1 year Ext. while waiting for the approval of 10 year GC
June 4, 2012 Biometric Appointment
Jan. 31, 2013 Received Notice of RFE
Feb. 7, 2013 Sent RFE
Feb. 13, 2013 Vermont Service Received RFE
Mar. 22, 2013 RFE approved ordered reproduction of New Card
Mar. 28, 2013 Received New Card

Aug. 8, 2015 File N-400

Sept. 9, 2015 Biometric Appointment

Feb. 1, 2016 Interview

Feb. 18, 2016 Oath taking ( American Citizen Done).

Timeline

i have been having the same issue over the past few weeks. It is better when my fiance goes to an internet cafe than on sun or smart broadband. I read over the weekend on an expat forum about and american guy who put up a antenna and repeater in his house and his signal went from 1 bar to 5 bar and major improvement on his interent. He said it was around 2000 peso to purchase and install, but did not give details. Good Luck

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

my internet connection in Phils is really good. It depends on where your gf lives and her service provider. PLDT offer up to 10 MBPS however, that is if there is PLDT connection in her area.

AOS Timeline

July 14, 2012 - (day 0) - AOS(I-485) / EAD(I-765) / AP(I-131) Sent to Chicago Lock Box

July 20, 2012 - (day 6) - received e-mail and text message notifications for AOS / EAD / AP

July 23, 2012 - (day 9) - check encash

July 30, 2021 - (day 16) - I-797c NOA received for AOS / EAD / AP and Biometrics schedule

August 14, 2012 (day 31) - Biometrics appointment

September 14, 2012 - (day 62) - USCIS online EAD status change to Card/Document Production

September 25, 2012 - (day 73) - received EAD combo card in mail

Feb 14, 2013 - followed up with NBC. adviced will received letter within 15 days

March 5, 2013 - received text & e-mail status change to
Decision

March 11, 2013 - received text & e-mail status change to
Card/Document Production

March 12, 2013 - received text & e-mail status tracking number ETA March 13

March 14, 2013 - (day 234) - GC on hand :)

Free of waiting and working of docs.. until December 2014.. next step ROC :)

Timeline

Is this the first time she experienced the slow internet? It maybe due to weather too.. I have a slow internet also and once we get storm it always affected my service.. Well it really depends whether where she lives.. For my opinion, DSL is the fastest connection..

Timeline

Where is your fiance lives in Philippines? I never had problem w/ internet connection and I live in Makati. It might be the plan and subscriber that your fiance currently have.

She doesn't live in Makati... probably about an hour north with traffic. Supposedly she can't get high speed internet where she lives it isn't an option. The internet she does use is stolen? I guess it's normal to hack into internet and power in Philippines per people I've met there. What I'm thinking is something like a 4g network or something that a USB stick could just go to her computer or something. I've also asked her about the internet cafe but she says they're too busy.

Timeline

my internet connection in Phils is really good. It depends on where your gf lives and her service provider. PLDT offer up to 10 MBPS however, that is if there is PLDT connection in her area.

For sure.. I agree on you!! Pldt is one of the best internet connection here in Phil.. I was about to apply for PLDT my DSL plan bundled.. But my area is congested and there is no available slot as of now.. Same as Bayantel :(

Timeline

I know around Cebu many get Smart Bro USB stick. It is easy to connect and the BIG thing is no LONG term contract.

Most require a 2 year agreement so if you're waiting on NOA2 it's a good chance your girl will leave before the end of the agreement although Vermont has me wondering! lol

But the connection varies with the time of day and most certainly weather (Smart Bro)

Filed: Timeline

Yap maybe because of the bad weather that's why they are experiencing a bad connection. I haven't talked to my fiancé thru online w/same problem. Sometimes he freezes or the sound it kind of weird lol so we prepare to talked to text and phone call. Even if my brother video chat w/my mom or me the connection is really bad. Seems like you’re talking to a picture because it freezes a lot :bonk:

The longer it takes to happen the more you'll appreciate it when it does!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yap maybe because of the bad weather that's why they are experiencing a bad connection. I haven't talked to my fiancé thru online w/same problem. Sometimes he freezes or the sound it kind of weird lol so we prepare to talked to text and phone call. Even if my brother video chat w/my mom or me the connection is really bad. Seems like you’re talking to a picture because it freezes a lot :bonk:

:thumbs: Yep the weather does seem to have an impact when I am on Skype with my fiancee. Sometimes we have to disable camera view to hear each other. Today our Skype session was average with the live video.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Timeline

What Part of the Philippines are you all talking of?

I use Skype, Facetime and Yahoo IM

But same issues

Today we even tried the internet cafe and still was not able to do video

Was not able to connect to Smart bro or local WIFI (free! lol)

It's sweet when we chat for free on her iPod.

Face time can be REALLY clear because not many use it there I think.

But try switching between Yahoo IM and Skype

Sometimes it's amazing what the difference can be.

Have her get her own DSL connection as splicing off another will slow you done. The weather in the Manila area has been lousy which does tend to play a role in the internet speeds. My fiancee uses a Smart Bro USB and sometimes it is so slow. Normally 9am her time up towards the rest of the day. Smart Bro's use cell phone towers which is not good for speeds.

Edited by LSnBigBear

I used globe broadband and later on Globe tattoo USB before and I don't a have a problemstar_smile.gif

June 11 - Mailed I-129F to TSC

June 14 - CSC Received I-129F

June 20 - I-129F Notice Date

Nov 2 - NOA2

Nov 8 - NOA 2 hard copy

Nov 20 - Package left NVC

Nov. 26 - USEM received our packet from NVC

Jan 8- Early Medical, received Packet 4

Jan 10- Medical Passed after 3 days in SLEC!!! Whew!!!

Jan 17: Early CFO seminar

Jan 30 - SLEC Medical Exam Appt

Feb 7th - INTERVIEW appointment at USEM (APPROVED!!!)

Feb 12th - Visa on Hand!

Feb 15th - Patrick's departure

Feb 18 - Pat filed for Social Security # and we applied for marriage license

March 1- WEDDING DAY

March 14 - Pat got his SS card thru the mail

Mid-April - We received our marriage license in the mail

May 2- Michelle's graduation :)

May 5- AOS Filing

May 13 - NOA 1 for AED AOS

May 31 - Biometrics

June 25- Notice of Tranfer of Docs to CSC

July 16 - EAD - Card Production Ordered

July 24 - EAD Card RECEIVED

July 25 - AOS WELCOME NOTICE RECEIVED

July 28 - GREEN CARD received!!!

April 30,2010 - I-751 sent to VSC

May 04, 2010 - I-767C

MARCH29, 2012 - N-400 SENT

Timeline

We're in the US now, but the recent weather has definitely impacted the Internet connections in the Philippines, especially if she's using a WiFi 'Cellular' type connection, like a USB Stick internet, or a WiMax internet. DSL through Cablelink or PLDT shouldn't be as impacted.

But Makati and Taguig have the best internet speeds by FAR, since it's where all the wealthier expats and foreigners live, so they can afford it. We have a condo in Paranaque, and about 1.5mbbs is the fastest we could get, and it's not super reliable, slows down a lot.

It's always changing which of the companies people are saying is good. In some areas Globe Tattoo is great and fast, and in others, the signal is weak. Smart Bro is good for some, not for others.

If hers is slowing down, 1) could be more people in the area signing up, there is only a certain amount of shared bandwidth for a given area. 2) could be that people have logged on and are piggybacking. Does she have her own router? Is it password protected? If no, very likely that as many people as possible are trying to 'borrow' it.

But yes, tell us the area and which connection she's using.

My fiance lives and works in the Fairview section of Quezon City. For the past 18 months or so we have used both Yahoo IM and Skype with very good success. Until the past couple weeks that is. For now I am presuming that it is due to the very poor weather there. I think she uses a Globe usb wireless connection for her laptop and not sure which cell company for her phone. When she is able to use Skype from her work at a hospital, our connection is normally very good even with video. At her dorm, the reception is sketchy especially after 9pm her time. Today was the first day in almost 2 weeks we were able to skype without the video for about 30 minutes. And only as of yesterday were we able to again use Yahoo IM reliably. Very frustrating certainly, but I really think the bad weather and sheer number of users trying to contact loved ones affected by the floods are the real culprits here, and not a buch we can do about that.

IR5 TIMELINE (Petition for my mom)

8/4/2017: Priority date; Potomac Service Center

2/7/2018: Date of NOA2 (approved)

NVC PROCESSING

2/20/2018: documents received by NVC

3/29/2018: case number was assigned

4/2/2018: welcome letter received thru email

4/3/2018: DS261 form (choice of agent & address) was submitted

4/4/2018: phoned NVC to verify choice of agent and address, paid AOS fee

4/6/2018: IV fee option became clickable and was able to submit payment

4/12/2018: DS260 form became available online

5/4/2018: sent the AOS & IV packages ( packages put in a 2 separate small envelopes and together placed it in one big envelope)

5/17/2018: Case complete

5/24/2018: received an email from NVC stating that the applicant is in the queue awaiting an interview appointment

5/29-30/2018: Passed the advanced medical at SLEC

5/31/2018: received P4 interview letter

6/21/2018: received an email from manila embassy that they received and reviewed my mom’s file, also indicated the documents required to bring to her interview

7/10/2018: Date of Interview; passed the interview but received 221g, need to submit additional NBI clearance with aka per marriage certificate.

applied for NBI clearance at NBI  main ( taft ave.)

registered for visa delivery address by calling (+703)5202235 EST, i chose MOA 2go for pick up 

7/13/2018: release of NBI clearance and sent to 2go robinsons manila

7/16-17/2018: AP status ( checked thru CEAC)

7/18/2018: at NVC

7/19/2018: AP

7/20/2018: Issued

7/24/2018: visa delivered to MOA 2go (didn’t wait for their text, i called them at +6329011401 instead)

7/25/2018: Visa on hand

7/27/2018: CFO seminar

7/30/2018: pay green card fee

8/7/2018: POE at DFW

8/24/2018: “card is being produced” status

9/1/2018: “card was mailed to me”  status

9/5/2018: GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.