La_Rain

2014/Money

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey there every one!

I am wondering about the Visa Lottery green card.

I've noticed they are all named 20--, and that 2012 has already been drawn. What will be the name of this years (2012) Visa Lottery? Coming up in October 2012?

Also, it mentioned that if you are selected you must show you have enough money to support yourself in America, how much money would I need for them to accept that I have enough?

Thank you for your time,

Lorraine.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

The lottery that opens in October 2012 will be the 2014 lottery. That is because by the time the paperwork is done and you have your interview, it will be 2014 for most winners.

How much money you must have depends on your household size, and for this visa, they can take any job offer into account also.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Hey there every one!

I've noticed they are all named 20--, and that 2012 has already been drawn. What will be the name of this years (2012) Visa Lottery? Coming up in October 2012?

Also, it mentioned that if you are selected you must show you have enough money to support yourself in America, how much money would I need for them to accept that I have enough?

Thank you for your time,

Lorraine.

Most in the UK don't qualify. Read about it here. http://london.usembassy.gov/ukpapress86.html

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

You might want to check out eligibility - part of UK wasn't eligible (goes by citizenship) to participate in the "green card lottery" before. I don't know if that has changed since...

I forgot to mention I'm from Northern Ireland sorry, N.I are included in the Visa Lottery

Thanks

Hey there every one!

Thank you for your time,

Lorraine.

This years means for which fiscal year is the lottery. In October 2012 starts fiscal year 2013 for the government. So if you apply for the lottery in October and they select you in May 2013, the interviews start in October 2013 (that's when the new batch of visas are released) which is fiscal year 2014.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You must also understand the chances for getting to the US via lottery are extremely lows. Millions participate and only 50k get green cards each year. Some people have tried every year for decades.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

You must also understand the chances for getting to the US via lottery are extremely lows. Millions participate and only 50k get green cards each year. Some people have tried every year for decades.

I think atleast 3 per cent from every country involved get to win, I am from northern ireland and not too many people apply from here, so I'm pretty optimistic about it.

If it's meant to be, its meant to be.

Thanks for your input :)

Me and my husband have been playing for 11 years :) Haven't won it yet :) We are also from a small country - Bulgaria. If it is meant to be... I'm getting my green card through my employer so no more lottery for me :)

Just don't put too much hope on it.

And no, not 3% of every country gets to win. There are only 50,000 visas for the whole world (including dependents). They draw 100,000 from about 7 million participants. It's not by country, It's by region. Last year the chance to win it if you were from Europe was 1.63%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diversity_Immigrant_Visa

Edited by maggiep

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I think half of Nigeria applies. Not quite but Nigeria has pulled in 5k of the visas for years. But the DV lottery should always be a back up plan not your main plan if you have your heart set on living in the US.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Me and my husband have been playing for 11 years :) Haven't won it yet :) We are also from a small country - Bulgaria. If it is meant to be... I'm getting my green card through my employer so no more lottery for me :)

Just don't put too much hope on it.

And no, not 3% of every country gets to win. There are only 50,000 visas for the whole world (including dependents). They draw 100,000 from about 7 million participants. It's not by country, It's by region. Last year the chance to win it if you were from Europe was 1.63%.

That's so good! Good luck in America!

45 people from N.I got last year I think.

If I win I win, I can try again but I'm sure everything will turn out the way its meant to.

Thanks for your advice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diversity_Immigrant_Visa

Timeline

I think half of Nigeria applies. Not quite but Nigeria has pulled in 5k of the visas for years. But the DV lottery should always be a back up plan not your main plan if you have your heart set on living in the US.

I don't have any plans yet, I'm letting life take me where it does. My heart is set but I know it'll turn out the way it should. What other visas are there to live in USA?

Thanks for your advice,

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.