Saintfu

K-1 process

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Just to be clear, I read the pinned topics, but I'd still rather make a topic just to ask the few questions I have left.

I've prepared forms I-129F, G325A for both of us and form G-1145. All of these are signed and complete. The part I have a question about is the 'evidence' of the relationship: she's been with me for quite some time in my country and we've met on numerous occasions. The evidence I've added is as follows:

-First meeting: plane ticket, hotel receipt, pictures of us together (about 5).

-Her living here: copies of her acceptance by immigration to live here, copies of her registration in the city's administration, pictures of us together (about 10, taken over the course of a year).

-Latest meeting: plane ticket, hotel receipt, pictures of us together (about 5).

Would adding the receipt of the ring make a difference?

Is this honestly enough? What about the part in the I-129F instructions 5.B where it asks for original statements? Are they asking us to write our intentions out?

And finally, getting quite far ahead of myself: if it was approved, I would come over, we'd get a wedding license and get married. I could file for an SSN and then I-765 at the same time? Or would I have to wait for the SSN before filing I-765?

Thanks in advance for any help with questions that have probably been answered a million times :blush:

Yes, you have enough proof.

And yes, you both need to sign a letter of intent. You can find examples of this letter in the guides. The letter basically states that you are legally free and willing to marry within 90 days of entry into the US using the K1 visa.

You can file for an SSN about two weeks after entering the US.

Once you get married, you can file for AOS/EAD(work permit)/AP(travel permit) ... do these all at the same time, so that the EAD/AP fees are waived. The fee for AOS is $1070.

You do not need to have a SSN to file for AOS/EAD/AP. You will, however, need one to work.

Edited by Evylin

Timeline

Yes, you have enough proof.

And yes, you both need to sign a letter of intent. You can find examples of this letter in the guides. The letter basically states that you are legally free and willing to marry within 90 days of entry into the US using the K1 visa.

You can file for an SSN about two weeks after entering the US.

Once you get married, you can file for AOS/EAD(work permit)/AP(travel permit) ... do these all at the same time, so that the EAD/AP fees are waived. The fee for AOS is $1070.

You do not need to have a SSN to file for AOS/EAD/AP. You will, however, need one to work.

Thanks, that helps a lot! The only question: can I file for an SSN even if we're not married? Or is it basically; get married at 2:15PM, file at 2:16PM?

I've set aside a good chunk of change for paperwork like AOS/EAD/AP, but also for the time I won't have a work permit and will basically be sitting on my #### waiting.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks, that helps a lot! The only question: can I file for an SSN even if we're not married? Or is it basically; get married at 2:15PM, file at 2:16PM?

I've set aside a good chunk of change for paperwork like AOS/EAD/AP, but also for the time I won't have a work permit and will basically be sitting on my #### waiting.

Entering the US with a K-1 makes you eligible to apply for an SSN. You do not need to be married first. You can apply about 10-14 days after entry to give it enough time for you to be found in the system: http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Waiting for what?

Just so we're clear, you cannot work without your EAD. Which is filed for with AOS.

Edited by Evylin

Timeline

Waiting for what?

Just so we're clear, you cannot work without your EAD. Which is filed for with AOS.

Waiting for the time between getting married, filing the AOS/EAD and the AOS/EAD to be approved. I don't imagine the AOS/EAD gets processed quickly so I figure a good amount of money is needed just to keep me going that time cause I can't work between leaving here and getting the AOS/EAD :)

Waiting for the time between getting married, filing the AOS/EAD and the AOS/EAD to be approved. I don't imagine the AOS/EAD gets processed quickly so I figure a good amount of money is needed just to keep me going that time cause I can't work between leaving here and getting the AOS/EAD :)

Ah okay, I must have misunderstood your comment. :)

EAD/AP is about 2-3 months. Which isn't too bad, but it does get boring!

AOS is taking much longer these days.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Ah okay, I must have misunderstood your comment. :)

EAD/AP is about 2-3 months. Which isn't too bad, but it does get boring!

AOS is taking much longer these days.

Hi Evylin,

I found your comments really helpful.. Right now I am still waiting for NOA2 but that doesn't stop me for worrying about work once I get there...if I can go to the States and get married within November this year, and follow the processes to apply for AOS/EAD/AP within the right timeline, how fast will I able to commit to a job (let's say i can find one to begin with) So in a word will I be able to start work legitimately in Feb/March 2013? or can I already be employed once i have a SSN, which is just 2 weeks after i enter the US?

Very much appreciated..

Viv

03-09-2012: NOA1

09-12-2012: NOA2

10-01-2012: Package 3

10-13-2012: Package 4

10-22-2012: Medical

10-29-2012: Interview, approved!!!

12-23-2012: POE Boston

event.png

event.png

event.png

Hi Evylin,

I found your comments really helpful.. Right now I am still waiting for NOA2 but that doesn't stop me for worrying about work once I get there...if I can go to the States and get married within November this year, and follow the processes to apply for AOS/EAD/AP within the right timeline, how fast will I able to commit to a job (let's say i can find one to begin with) So in a word will I be able to start work legitimately in Feb/March 2013? or can I already be employed once i have a SSN, which is just 2 weeks after i enter the US?

Very much appreciated..

Viv

No, a social security number will not allow you to work. In fact, it will specifically say on your SS card "Not valid for work without DHS authorization" ... DHS is Department of Homeland Security. The EAD is the authorization they are talking about, which can be filed for with AOS. You can file for the EAD when you get to the US, but it will only be valid until your I-94 expires, so it's useless to do that.

Plan on not working for at least three months after you get married. It could be more, but it seems 2-3 months is the norm right now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.