Bad_Daddy

Obama Executive Privilege Asserted Over Fast And Furious Documents

115 posts in this topic

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/20/obama-executive-privilege-fast-and-furious_n_1611962.html

Posted: 06/20/2012 10:15 am Updated: 06/20/2012 12:48 pm

President Barack Obama has asserted executive privilege in response to requests made by Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), chairman of the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, who has embarked on a controversial investigation into the Department of Justice's Operation Fast and Furious gun-walking program.

The invocation of executive privilege allows the president to defy requests and subpoenas by members of the legislative and judicial branches for information the White House deems sensitive. Obama's decision will allow him to refuse to provide certain documents pertaining to the Fast and Furious program.

The Oversight Committee has threatened to hold Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt, and Issa had scheduled a vote on the matter for Wednesday morning. A committee aide told Reuters that Issa would proceed with the contempt vote even after Obama's action. Issa later declared that the decision to assert executive privilege "falls short of any reason to delay today's proceedings."

Deputy Attorney General James M. Cole addressed Issa in a letter on Wednesday morning.

"We regret that we have arrived at this point, after the many steps we have taken to address the Committee's concerns and to accommodate the Committee's legitimate oversight interests regarding Operation Fast and Furious," he wrote. "Although we are deeply disappointed that the Committee appears intent on proceeding with a contempt vote, the Department remains willing to work with the Committee to reach a mutually satisfactory resolution of the outstanding issues."

Holder, who met with Issa Tuesday in an attempt to reach an agreement on how many and which documents related to Fast and Furious he would turn over, had formally written Obama requesting that he exercise executive privilege. A copy of that letter is below.

In an email to The Huffington Post, an administration official noted that former President George W. Bush asserted executive privilege six times, while former President Bill Clinton did it 14 times. This is the first time Obama has exercised this authority. The Republican National Committee was quick to point out Wednesday that then-candidate Obama criticized Bush for using the practice in 2007.

Michael Steel, a spokesman for House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), questioned the White House's move Wednesday in a statement:

"Until now, everyone believed that the decisions regarding 'Fast and Furious' were confined to the Department of Justice," Steel said. "The White House decision to invoke executive privilege implies that White House officials were either involved in the 'Fast and Furious' operation or the cover-up that followed. The Administration has always insisted that wasn't the case. Were they lying, or are they now bending the law to hide the truth?"

Edited by Bad_Daddy

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Obama. Best gun salesman ever!

I'm not sure I understand. I feel fairly sure you are not so wacko that you would actually make an attempt on the president's life or join some half-baked militia 'revolution'! So why is it that you and other people on the right make all these clever statements about guns with the implication that maybe you really would do such a thing? Is it some right wing macho posturing thing? Some kind of strutting your RWN NRA bona-fides? I really am curious!

I'm not sure I understand. I feel fairly sure you are not so wacko that you would actually make an attempt on the president's life or join some half-baked militia 'revolution'! So why is it that you and other people on the right make all these clever statements about guns with the implication that maybe you really would do such a thing? Is it some right wing macho posturing thing? Some kind of strutting your RWN NRA bona-fides? I really am curious!

Read up on "Operation Fast & Furious". Obama sold automatic weapons to the Mexican drug cartels with the help of Eric Holder.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

You're smarter than that. <_<

Go read up the conspiracy theorists' explain how "Fast and Furious" is part of this administration's attempts to circumvent the Second Amendment and introduce Federal gun control.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Like most other issues, you're way off on this one too. (Way off to the left, no less.)

It's simple numbers, man. Since Obama won the election there's been more and more gun sales. We're setting records every year! He's been great for the NRA, great for the manufacturers, and great for America since more guns = less crime. It's totally counter-intuitive for you lefties, but gun sales are up.... and crime is down. Weird, I know. But it's true. Check it out.

He's also helped get concealed carry in 49 states and soon, we'll have a national reciprocity act that'll guarantee we can exercise our freedom no matter where we're from and/or where we're traveling.

He's also been really helpful in arming Mexicans. (Along with Eric Holder, of course!) I know that's not really a big deal, but I like the fact that he's trying to help America not just by giving them amnesty after they break the law here in America but before they even get here.

In his next term, he's going to solidify our place in history when he signs the UN ban on small arms ownership by private citizens. He will guarantee our right to ownership since we'll be the only people in the world (other than the Swiss, Fins, and Kiwis) who'll be privately armed.

Forward!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

You're smarter than that. <_<

Go read up the conspiracy theorists' explain how "Fast and Furious" is part of this administration's attempts to circumvent the Second Amendment and introduce Federal gun control.

I usually avoid the writings of conspiracy theorists. I don't like the whole F&F thing but I am not so sure it justifies much of the political posturing going on. I could see that as an explanation for Slim's statement above but it doesn't explain the other frequent 'buy ammo' statements you hear so often!

Fast-and-Furious_600.jpg

Cartoon_Fast_and_Furious_491.jpg

sigbet.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

gun-walking? Sounds like a new outdoor sport here in Texas, similar to cow-tipping....

Unless they mean walking the gun across the Mexican border, headed south to drop it off with the cartel, then that's something else.

wth is gun-walking?

ah - found it -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATF_gunwalking_scandal

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Like most other issues, you're way off on this one too. (Way off to the left, no less.)

It's simple numbers, man. Since Obama won the election there's been more and more gun sales. We're setting records every year! He's been great for the NRA, great for the manufacturers, and great for America since more guns = less crime. It's totally counter-intuitive for you lefties, but gun sales are up.... and crime is down. Weird, I know. But it's true. Check it out.

He's also helped get concealed carry in 49 states and soon, we'll have a national reciprocity act that'll guarantee we can exercise our freedom no matter where we're from and/or where we're traveling.

He's also been really helpful in arming Mexicans. (Along with Eric Holder, of course!) I know that's not really a big deal, but I like the fact that he's trying to help America not just by giving them amnesty after they break the law here in America but before they even get here.

In his next term, he's going to solidify our place in history when he signs the UN ban on small arms ownership by private citizens. He will guarantee our right to ownership since we'll be the only people in the world (other than the Swiss, Fins, and Kiwis) who'll be privately armed.

Forward!

You don't really know where I am on guns overall. You really should be avoiding those conspiracy theorist writers also!

Edited by james&olya

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I usually avoid the writings of conspiracy theorists. I don't like the whole F&F thing but I am not so sure it justifies much of the political posturing going on. I could see that as an explanation for Slim's statement above but it doesn't explain the other frequent 'buy ammo' statements you hear so often!

It might have something to do with the constant references to this administration wanting to enact gun control legislation, or the reported buy up of approx. 450 million rounds of .40 caliber ammunition under a 5 year IDIQ contract. Take your pick.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

it doesn't explain the other frequent 'buy ammo' statements you hear so often!

Ammo is one of the best investments you can make. Not only is it outpacing just about every other type of investment out there (how's your 401k doing?) but if things get "really bad" you can use it for it's intended purpose.

Winning hams and turkey and stuff.

wth is gun-walking?

That sand your head is in must be nice and warm by now!

You don't really know where I am on guns overall.

I know exactly where you are. You're a "duck hunter." You'll compromise and compromise and before you know it, you'll say, "gosh, I wonder how we got here and why they're coming for our guns."

There's no compromise on an absolute right. "Well, I just don't think civilians need machine guns." Great! Nor does Obama!

It might have something to do with the constant references to this administration wanting to enact gun control legislation, or the reported buy up of approx. 450 million rounds of .40 caliber ammunition under a 5 year IDIQ contract. Take your pick.

If it's actually happening it's not just a theory, is it?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just one of many promises he has failed to keep.

No, this isn't an issue of transparency. This has to do with Darrell Issa trying to turn the screw on the Obama Administration in an attempt to help his party win back the White House. Read up on Darrell Issa and subpoenas - the jackass is walking contradiction, a fvcking hypocrite and a clown dressed in a suit, pretending he's doing the American public a favor by spending tax dollars chasing after tilted windmills. AG Holder has given Issa-sh!thead all the documents he's asked for, but that clown thinks that the DOJ is covering something up and so he wants all transcripts of communication since the Congressional inquiry to find his holy grail of a cover-up. It's utter nonsense and purely politically driven. This is just a crock of sh!t the Republicans are heaving onto the public and the Obama Adminstration has had enough. ** Issa and his horse and pony show. If I were Holder, I'd have the IRS go after Issa's tax exempt family organization for tax evasion. What a crook. The gall that guy has is amazing.