Derry Lea

How to appeal and success rate

101 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

It amazes me the lengths we go to deny people the right to legally travel to the US when we have 20+ million LIVING illegally within our own borders. Combine that with the billions of dollars of drugs that get through, illegal goods, etc., and you really begin to wonder what all the fuss is in the first place.

Facilitate the tourist visa process and that number will double.

Filed: Timeline

Yes. Who else did you have in mind?

I making reference to the fact that a third person writing a letter asking for reconsideration or offering alleged new information has no function in the adjudication process....only the applicant can reapply and present new information (but it should be their own, not something made up by a relative or friend, nor containing only the resume/pedigree of the relative or friend whom they wish to visit.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

I making reference to the fact that a third person writing a letter asking for reconsideration or offering alleged new information has no function in the adjudication process....only the applicant can reapply and present new information (but it should be their own, not something made up by a relative or friend, nor containing only the resume/pedigree of the relative or friend whom they wish to visit.

IMHO that was the point of the OP when she asked whether a letter from her representative would help or if a personal invitation from her would make any difference.

Despite the fact nothing she can do can help, we can all float ideas that she can communicate to her sister. In that manner, there is something she can do to help her sister.

I think we all got lost in semantics and forgot what the real issue was.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

IMHO that was the point of the OP when she asked whether a letter from her representative would help or if a personal invitation from her would make any difference.

Despite the fact nothing she can do can help, we can all float ideas that she can communicate to her sister. In that manner, there is something she can do to help her sister.

I think we all got lost in semantics and forgot what the real issue was.

And, as I have pointed out, such letters, no matter who writes them, are not part of the process and do not add any equity to the applicant.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

And, as I have pointed out, such letters, no matter who writes them, are not part of the process and do not add any equity to the applicant.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

And for the learning impaired....what downside befalls someone who abandons their foreign fiancee???? Do the local police tip off INTERPOL? Is that person's library card revoked? Do they have to pay a fine? Or...does nothing happen?

No police will come looking for anyone if they leave a house, a car, an ongoing phd and a fiance in their home country either, but those are fairly good ties and indicators that the person does have an interest in returning home.

It's not so much "why do you absolutely have to return?" but rather "what are some reasons why we should believe that you'll return?"

Again, the burden of proof depends on situation and consulate.

Edited by jaejayC

No police will come looking for anyone if they leave a house, a car, an ongoing phd and a fiance in their home country either, but those are fairly good ties and indicators that the person does have an interest in returning home.

It's not so much "why do you absolutely have to return?" but rather "what are some reasons why we should believe that you'll return?"

Again, the burden of proof depends on situation and consulate.

Perhaps....but mere possession of the above do not guarantee visa issuance...because there are NO bright line (check off boxes) requirements to be granted one...and the OP's sister has only her BF as some sort of social tie to Bulgaria...no job, no property, no money, no education....no runs, no hits and no errors (by the VO). :thumbs:

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-2 Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Contacting the embassy to ask for a review or reconsideration is technically not allowed.

Actually, at least for the Sofia embassy, I was specifically told to write to appeal the decision to reject my husband's kids visa applications and he gave me the e-mail address. I am not saying that I think this is going to do any good!! Probably it goes straight into the electronic "circular file."... But I was told this by the Consular Officer with whom I spoke, so according to him it is allowed.

[i am the USC and the wife/stepmother]
The prelude - 2007
November 22 - Married in Bulgaria.
CR-1 - 2008
January 7 I-130 sent - APPROVED in 106 days.
Interview - APPROVED 175 days from NOA-1 date
ROC - 2010-2011
October 5 - I-751 sent APPROVED 111 days from NOA-1 date, no interview.
NATURALIZATION - 2012
APPROVED 79 days.
May 9 - Oath ceremony - in Oakland, CA.

*************Didn't have enough of the immigration process yet!! Starting again with 16-year-old (step)son****************
IR-2 - 2012-2013
---USCIS---
Nov 15 - I-130 sent. NOA-1 received from MSC.
Jan 22 - APPROVED 65 days from NOA-1. Never transferred to field office.
---NVC---
Feb 4 - received @ NVC
Feb 26 - Got NVC Case # and Invoice ID #
----------------------------------slowing down the process a little... stepson can't come till nearly July-----------------------------
March 19 - Sent e-mail Choice of Agent, without scan of DS-3032. Paid AOS fee ($88).
April 1 - Choice of Agent information accepted (10th "working day" to accept).
April 3 - IV invoice appeared. Paid IV fee ($230).
April 11 - Sent IV package and AOS package TOGETHER. Confirmed delivery April 15.

April 26 - Case Complete (10th working day)

May 14 - Interview date assigned (12th working day)

June 5 - Interview in Sofia - VISA GRANTED!!!

June 16 - POE @ SFO. No problems. He's a citizen now!

Oct 4 - US Passport received. (SS card received some time in the summer; had to go to SSA office to obtain)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How did you get hold of a Consular Officer?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My MIL visa was denied and I do know some "Big Shots" and even with the full support of my Senator and Rep and some friends at the State Dept. my MIL had to pay the fee and reapply. She was approved for a single entry and then a 5 year. I made some call after the denial and met with Embassy officials the next day and they were receptive but stuck to the regulations which say that there are"No Appeals" and that she would have to reapply.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My MIL visa was denied and I do know some "Big Shots" and even with the full support of my Senator and Rep and some friends at the State Dept. my MIL had to pay the fee and reapply. She was approved for a single entry and then a 5 year. I made some call after the denial and met with Embassy officials the next day and they were receptive but stuck to the regulations which say that there are"No Appeals" and that she would have to reapply.

If you really think about there are thousands of Tourist Visa applications denied each week. If the Embassy allowed them to all be reviewed they would never get anything done. They simply do not have the staff or resources to review every denial. Reapplication and a new fee keeps the system flowing. It may not be fair but then life is not fair either.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.