Lucy_Nani

4th times a charm? Advice on getting a tourist visa???

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hello! My boyfriend is going to be applying for a tourist visa for the 4th time this July. He is Peruvian and it seems to be very hard for him to visit the US. The first time he tried he was 11, the second time he was 15, and the last time he was 19, and had just returned from a 2 month vacation from Europe and thought all of his European visas would help. He said the interview lasted less than 5 min and he was rejected. As I am sure you can relate he was extremely disappointed. His father lives in Miami and they said he was going to go and going to stay. Which is not the case but that is not for me to prove. Anyway, he is going to try for the 4th time this month, and I if he gets rejected again it will totally crush him. Therefore do you have any advice about what he might be able to do to help him or what might hurt him? He is going to demonstrate a solid income, that he is a student here in Peru and therefore has to return to school. Anything else that might hurt or help him? He is really coming to see his father, and to meet my family. Do you think he should say that in his interview? Thanks!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Does he have or own anything that will keep him tied to Peru? As a student with no job - that seems as a high risk for remaining in the US.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What is his father's status?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

What are the names of his high school and college? In what district does he live? That basically tells the Embassy whether he has intend to immigrate.

Is the father legal?

If he is a student I doubt he has a solid income of his own. If he lives with his mother they Embassy will look at her situation to get a sense of your boyfriend's situation.

Life is beautiful

Timeline

Does he have or own anything that will keep him tied to Peru? As a student with no job - that seems as a high risk for remaining in the US.

The only thing would be %25 of a company, but the company generates rather big numbers. He owns a bit of land but ithas nothing on it, it is on the beach near Lima. Other than that, no, not even a car. :-(

What is his father's status?

His father has a green card, and a social security number...(I dunno if that makes a difference).

Timeline

What are the names of his high school and college? In what district does he live? That basically tells the Embassy whether he has intend to immigrate.

Sorry I don't understand. "That basically tells the Embassy whether he has intend to immigrate." Can you please elaborate?

Is the father legal?

Yes, he has a green card.

If he is a student I doubt he has a solid income of his own. If he lives with his mother they Embassy will look at her situation to get a sense of your boyfriend's situation.

Yes, although her situation is very good. She owns 4 English schools, and a home. He also put down that she will sponsor financially his trip.

Timeline

Other question, what about me? As the GF would I be a risk? Maybe they will see me and think he is never going to come back. Should he say that he is going to meet my family and know my culture or will that negativly effect him? In the applicaiton they ask for your marital status and I put that we are in a demostic partnership (which is true) but maybe they wont like that??!! Uuufff so stressful.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What is a 'demostic partnership"? or do you mean "domestic"? How can you be in a domestic partnership when 'domestic' means you both live together, do you live in Peru?

If you put that you are a domestic partner in the application then they know, and he'll have to prove he will return to Peru and not stay in the US with you, your family, and his father

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

What is a 'demostic partnership"? or do you mean "domestic"? How can you be in a domestic partnership when 'domestic' means you both live together, do you live in Peru?

If you put that you are a domestic partner in the application then they know, and he'll have to prove he will return to Peru and not stay in the US with you, your family, and his father

Good luck

Of course I meant domestic partnership, I was just typing fast. Yes I live in Peru, with him, currently. We are in a domestic partnership. Humm....so you think it will be better if he puts that he is single and he just wants to go to The US for a vacation? Leave me out of the picture entirely?

Timeline

Why would you put domestic partnership? If he's single, just put that. You guys aren't officially married.

Because in the application it asks single, married, domestic partnership, civil union, legally sepperate, divorced, or other. We didn't know what to put....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It probably does not matter.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Of course I meant domestic partnership, I was just typing fast. Yes I live in Peru, with him, currently. We are in a domestic partnership. Humm....so you think it will be better if he puts that he is single and he just wants to go to The US for a vacation? Leave me out of the picture entirely?

Well, if you are in one, then you need to put that you are in one. Clearly he isn't single correct

Boiler is right, it probably won't matter

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.