dwheels76

When can my husband travel after POE

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

QUESTION: Once my husband gets his Visa will he be able to travel back to Nigeria anytime or does he have to wait until he gets his green card in hand before he can leave the states? We will be married under the 2 years when he arrives. I have heard that he can't leave until the process is over but not sure.

Also if he can travel back isn't there a limit to how long he can be away and how many times a year he can go or something.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

From what I know he'll have to hang tight till he gets his greencard, then he'll be able to come in and out with no problem.

He cannot stay out of the country for more than 6 months or it will cancel his card.

belgium-flag.gift4518.gifunitedstates.gif

Filed: Timeline

From what I know he'll have to hang tight till he gets his greencard, then he'll be able to come in and out with no problem.He cannot stay out of the country for more than 6 months or it will cancel his card.

Not true.

He can travel the next day if he wants to. Once you enter the US on a CR-1/IR-1 visa, that visa is then endorsed by CBP as proof of permanent residence until a green card is received in the mail. He will have all the rights of a green card holder from the moment he is cleared at POE.

He will have to make sure he doesn't spend multiple long periods of time, or more than 6 months consecutively outside the US though, or he'll most likely be considered to have abandoned his status.

Edited by jaejayC

Although he could in theory apply for a re-entry permit if he was going to take a trip over 1 year but less than 2 years.

He would need to file for it in advance of his trip using form I-131 if so.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Anytime, starting 20 seconds after he disembarks from the international terminal with luggage in tow.

The stamp in his passport, given at the POE, validates his VISA to be utilised as a temporary I-551 document, for a year from the POE stamp date.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Anytime, starting 20 seconds after he disembarks from the international terminal with luggage in tow.

The stamp in his passport, given at the POE, validates his VISA to be utilised as a temporary I-551 document, for a year from the POE stamp date.

Well I relayed this information back to the friend who was asking and another person in the group stated this is incorrect because her husband went to Canada after he arrived in States and was not allowed across border.

So I think they better wait to be sure for that green card that comes in 3 to 4 weeks. They are married under 2 years when he POE's.

They are done at NVC just waiting for completion and interview.

Thanks

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

ROC I-751

N-400

Timeline

you not mention Canada ...

Canada crossings are different,and I've no idea why.

POE at at airport? CBP know about the stamp, as they put it in.

This does not apply to K-1 visa holders, fwiw.

Only to CR-1 and IR-1, also IR-2/CR-2 and IR-5.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Not true.

He can travel the next day if he wants to. Once you enter the US on a CR-1/IR-1 visa, that visa is then endorsed by CBP as proof of permanent residence until a green card is received in the mail. He will have all the rights of a green card holder from the moment he is cleared at POE.

Oop ok my bad. I thought you couldn't travel till you had it in hand. Thanks for the heads up.

belgium-flag.gift4518.gifunitedstates.gif

Timeline

Just wanted to report back since getting a lot of miss information. I had asked some friends also and tbey told of their personal accounts here it is.

About him being able to leave immediately after his stamp, know that many countries don't accept it they want the green card.

It is better to stay put for green card bcuz most border patrols don't know there job and will and can deny him re-entry I had a friend just last week assume the same as posted here bcuz that is what the books say but her husband was held up in St Lucia for one week and couldn't re-enter due to lack of not having green card the BP told them the stamp meant nothing they had to get a lawyer. Also keep in mind that the BP can even turn anyone away at the POE who has been granted a visa already.

ROC I-751

N-400

Just wanted to report back since getting a lot of miss information. I had asked some friends also and tbey told of their personal accounts here it is.

About him being able to leave immediately after his stamp, know that many countries don't accept it they want the green card.

It is better to stay put for green card bcuz most border patrols don't know there job and will and can deny him re-entry I had a friend just last week assume the same as posted here bcuz that is what the books say but her husband was held up in St Lucia for one week and couldn't re-enter due to lack of not having green card the BP told them the stamp meant nothing they had to get a lawyer. Also keep in mind that the BP can even turn anyone away at the POE who has been granted a visa already.

Great question and thanks for the final answer as well. I'm adding it to my every growing book of questions and answers!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

This is a combination of poppycock and misinformation. To enter, say Canada on say a Nigerian passport, as a US LPR, CANADA would want to see the green card. To re-enter the USA the stamp is sufficient and the CBP officers in ANY POE know this. They are the ones that endorse the visas in the first place.

Re-entering the USA is one thing. To enter any OTHER country, the traveler must meet THAT country's requirements.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 5 months later...
Filed: Other Timeline

Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I'm a US citizen who applied for a green card for my father. All the procedures went well; and now my father has an immigrant visa on his passport with many words which contain [iR-5],and [upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year].

I share with the OP the same question, and I would just like to be reassured if i may. Is it a 100% okay that we can travel back to Dubai any day after we cross port of entry to the states?

We will be booking a return after 10 days of entry. The green card will be mailed to a family friend who resides in the US. Their address is on file.

Your help and clarification is very much appreciated.

QUESTION: Once my husband gets his Visa will he be able to travel back to Nigeria anytime or does he have to wait until he gets his green card in hand before he can leave the states? We will be married under the 2 years when he arrives. I have heard that he can't leave until the process is over but not sure.

Also if he can travel back isn't there a limit to how long he can be away and how many times a year he can go or something.

Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I'm a US citizen who applied for a green card for my father. All the procedures went well; and now my father has an immigrant visa on his passport with many words which contain [iR-5],and [upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year].

I share with the OP the same question, and I would just like to be reassured if i may. Is it a 100% okay that we can travel back to Dubai any day after we cross port of entry to the states?

We will be booking a return after 10 days of entry. The green card will be mailed to a family friend who resides in the US. Their address is on file.

Your help and clarification is very much appreciated.

PLEASE fill in your timeline!!

When he arrives on the IR-1/CR-1 he should receive a stamp in his passport that has the number I-551. The I-551 is the same as the GC and he can travel on it. As a LPR he must remain in the US more than he is outside the US or risk loosing his LPR status. This is something both you and he need to read up on and be absolutely clear on before he remains outside the US for an extrneded period of time--i.e. more than 6 months at a time.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Timeline

./.

Edited by Darnell

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

its taking so long for him to leave Nigeria I bet that is last place he would want to go back fast fast lol

let him enjoy USA and collect his green card and all then he can travel worry free

4027-dil-ko-choo-jaye-gi-shayari-collection-heart_91.gif?d=1205939495

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.