JoeCanuk

How have you changed?

92 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Y'all know what it's like to live in Texas? "Yes Ma'am!" But, I'm a stubborn Canadian so I still say garbage, pop, zed, washroom... What's changed, eh ?!? Well I am living in one of the largest cities in the US and one does need to know how to protect ones self. I'll leave it at that!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have learned to be afraid also. Someone knocking at your door at 2am in Canada means the drunk friend is bored and wants to chat. I had no problem crawling out of bed to answer the door. Here if someone knocks on the door my hubby jumps up yells at me to not go to the door as he is grabbing stuff. I want to turn on a light so I can see who it is but nope don't do that either. Now I freak at all the sounds, big dog better eat anyone that comes in i tell ya.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've changed a lot in more meaningful ways, but I think that's mainly due to being married and having a baby on the way, and less about living in the US.

Oh HUGGLES congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I like this topic!!!!

I will see how much my life will change.. I am from Brazil living in Canada for two year and now going to States, hope I wont change too much ad yes, i do like shopping :) ..

Congrats for the baby, hugglebuggles :) ..

Cheers,

Cam & Ellie

I think a lot of the changes depend on where you moved from and where you moved to. I moved to a beach town in California and I've definitely become more Californian. I spend quite a bit of time walking on the beach these days. I don't really lounge on the beach, but occasionally I'll sit for some reading time, but I usually walk. I've lost 40 lbs since I moved here too, cause I went on a crazy diet. I still need to lose another 40, but I'm kinda stuck. Hoping increased beach walking will help. ;) I walked a lot back home too, but usually just around the neighbourhood or parks.

I don't know that I've really changed all that much in general. I have many of the same interests, but now I'm just surrounded by a few more people who share those same interests, and I have the ability to achieve things that I couldn't back home. Like returning to college, which was a big deal. It was something I'd wanted to do for a long time. It's hard though, because my classmates and new friends are like 10 years younger than me, which is fine for the most part, but that alone makes things a little 'off'. In the long run, I think returning to school has affected me more than moving here did.

Also, cruise ships stop in the harbour of our town, which really trips me out. I can't believe I went from a small town gravel road living country girl, to a beach bum living in a tourist hot spot where celebrities sometimes come up for day trips from LA. whaaaat!? lol

I really, really miss my friends and my family though. It's hard to break in to the bubble of this town, and it's hard not being with my niece and nephew as they grow up. :(

I said 'soda' the other day.

It's the beginning of the end for me. :cry:

The first time I spelled colour without the 'u' and didn't think twice about it I almost cried... :lol:

I say soda, but usually say pop first then correct myself.

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Timeline

i've been in chicago for 2 years now. my accent is all sorts of messed up. little scottish french canadian girl here with a semi chicago accent...yeah..i get made fun of. you can still tell occasionally i'm from canada. i do say eh alot still, and use ** as punctuation lol. or i swear in french still :) i still say garbage zed washroom as well. the frenchie in me says dupage the wrong way or i say elgin the wrong way and get criticized for it. i actually remind myself to keep my u's in words. i can barely write in french anymore. lol Mephys made fun of me for that on her facebook.

growing up in montreal then living in windsor and hawkesbury is way diff then here. granted we have like 4 times the amount of people in chicago, but i can't say i remember every month 30 people being shot on any given day like the south side of chicago. its kinda scary. but im not near those parts or downtown. in fact i still have not seen the sites yet. i think i'm too scared of the public transport going to downtown etc. People are not as freindly either. i've become a tad bit of a hermit. if somethign happens outside David tells me to stay in and not get involved, or open the door. Luckily i have my two dogs with me still.

I've definitely become even more impatient and quicker to anger then i used to be. maybe its because everything seems so rush rush here. or its because i'm 38 now shrug.

HWDWm6.png

So what's wrong with the word garbage? I say it all the time, no one ever corrects me... I do notice most other people say "trash"

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Timeline

I say garbage all the time too, hubby says trash. I tell him to stop speaking American that their will be only Canadian in this house. (obviously this is joking)

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

I really, really miss my friends and my family though. It's hard to break in to the bubble of this town, and it's hard not being with my niece and nephew as they grow up. :(

I miss my family an insane amount, especially my young nieces. They're 10, 7, and 4 and I feel like I'm missing out on so much. I talk to them on the phone once a week, but it's just not the same.

That's the hardest part, in my opinion. Not the adjusting to new surroundings or new people, but missing the ones you left behind. :(

I miss my family an insane amount, especially my young nieces. They're 10, 7, and 4 and I feel like I'm missing out on so much. I talk to them on the phone once a week, but it's just not the same.

That's the hardest part, in my opinion. Not the adjusting to new surroundings or new people, but missing the ones you left behind. :(

Agreed! My niece is 3, and my nephew 5. Such a great age for kids (anything under 10 really, like your nieces), and I'm missing it. My niece barely knows me at all, and has never even met my husband. :'(

It definitely is the hardest part. Phone, skype, facebook pics, or mailing packages really is not the same as hugs, and doing activities together, and all that.

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Being a border-living person I learned to say soda years ago. I have now learned not to say washroom, tap, or faucett. Or brown toast. lol

I say soda now and I had to give up washroom too because my husband would look at me funny when I said it ..lol

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Timeline

I always know I've said something wrong when I get the funny looks. So then I have to wrack my brain trying to figure out what it was I said and how to say it differently. My inlaws were all visiting a few weeks ago and I said something to my MIL about the duvet. She asked me to repeat it and so I did.... but a little bit louder this time because I get a lot of complaints that I speak too softly so I figured that she just didn't hear me. She still had this confused look on her face so I was standing there trying to figure out what I'd said when my SIL said "She means comforter." :lol:

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

But I thought pop was more West Coast and soda more East Coast.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

17 Jan 2012 Phoned NVC. Case Number allocated
18 Jan 2012 Emails received re AOS fee and Agent
20 Jan 2012 Electronic opt in email sent & response received
20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
20 Jan 2012 Form DS-261 Choice of agent filed
27 Jan 2012 Email received re choice of agent received. Can now pay IV bill
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
31 Jan 2012 Received written notification case at NVC (dated 18 Jan)
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS
9 Feb 2012 DS-260 submitted online & docs emailed
14 Feb 2012 Case Complete
5 Mar 2012 received email - interview date 10 April
10 Apr 2012 Visa Approved
10 Apr 2012 Email from Loomis - passport picked up from Consulate

June 2012 Moved back to US

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.