JoeCanuk

How have you changed?

92 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I still say eh a lot, don't think that will stop any time soon. We have 5 Canadians in the house so I think the accents will stick around a lot longer, and I'm hoping the baby picks it up rather then the southern drawl hahah. Making friends is much harder here. I have made friends with 1 couple but I made them through connect2canada canada day across america hosting a party. She is the canadian and we hit it off right from the start.

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't get the Eh thing.. I have never said it nor do I know anyone who did or does..lol

Are you sure your from Canada? lol

I have probably changed for the worse!! I'm far more impatient driving, I'm not near as mellow as I used to be! But that's probably caused more by living in a big city (DC Area!!) Now residing in Nicaragua and love it a lot better!! Mind you Managua is pretty big and super poor and super hot!!

I still refer to myself as Canadian when people ask my Nationality! Which is usually very obvious as 99% of the time have a Canada hockey hat on. Still wear my Cdn socks,lol I head back to Saskatchewan this Friday for 33 days and can't wait!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think the Eh thing is maybe more of a Eastern Canada thing

I have lived in Victoria, heard it a lot there. From Sask. used a lot there,lol I dont use it as much, but people that have just met me, usually say they know am a Canuck from "eh" or "about" and a few others! lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I hope I havent changed much.

I find that living so close to Philadelphia and watching what happens on the news here, I am way more cautious when I go out now.

I still say eh and zed and dont want that to leave my vocabulary!

I took up jogging and love it!

Timeline

I shop more, and I spend more money. There are bigger stores with more selection here, so its harder to be responsible. I've started to curb that habit a bit. But I'm still cheap, so its a funny mix. I don't eat as healthy as I used to, and I definately eat more fast food. Not a ton, but more; I hardly ever ate fast food up in Canada. I gained 15 pounds then lost 20, but now that Im pregnant its all coming back. I spend a lot more time outdoors now, but here in Colorado there are lots of reasons to be outdoors. I also drive a lot more. I hated driving back home, but now I love it, I'm not really sure why! My "eh" has gone away, but when i go home it all comes back!

I've changed a lot in more meaningful ways, but I think that's mainly due to being married and having a baby on the way, and less about living in the US.

Timeline

OMG you're pregnant, congrats Huggles!! :)

I shop more, and I spend more money. There are bigger stores with more selection here, so its harder to be responsible. I've started to curb that habit a bit. But I'm still cheap, so its a funny mix. I don't eat as healthy as I used to, and I definately eat more fast food. Not a ton, but more; I hardly ever ate fast food up in Canada. I gained 15 pounds then lost 20, but now that Im pregnant its all coming back. I spend a lot more time outdoors now, but here in Colorado there are lots of reasons to be outdoors. I also drive a lot more. I hated driving back home, but now I love it, I'm not really sure why! My "eh" has gone away, but when i go home it all comes back!

I've changed a lot in more meaningful ways, but I think that's mainly due to being married and having a baby on the way, and less about living in the US.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

I hope I havent changed much.

I find that living so close to Philadelphia and watching what happens on the news here, I am way more cautious when I go out now.

I still say eh and zed and dont want that to leave my vocabulary!

I took up jogging and love it!

So where near Philly do you live? I work in West Chester...

Oh yeah, I say zed a lot, people look at me funny when I do. Especially when I'm training someone at work "Just push Control Zed"... they look at me real strange.

Edited by Peachey

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Timeline

Peachy, you're near Philly too!? I'm in Doylestown!! Work in Bristol.

Oh yeah, I say zed a lot, people look at me funny when I do. Especially when I'm training someone at work "Just push Control Zed"... they look at me real strange.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My family says I sound more American than I did before (I worked in US based Call Centers, I lost my accent rather quickly). Yet DH can always tell when I've called home, because my Canadian (NS/NL) accept comes out in full swing.

I find myself feeling less secure when going out at night. Even if it's just to the van, the sirens go so often here (in a small town of 7000 in Ohio) that I find myself sprinting back and forth with groceries. considering I used to wander along at 2am in Downtown Halifax... it's rather amusing.

I gained 50lbs. At least half of that has to be from food, the other half from a defunct thyroid that I had problems finding someone to treat for me.

I refer to soft drinks by their specific brand to avoid getting weird looks when I say "pop" or the slight accent I have when I say "soda".

Ashley and Woody (Samuel)

Arrival: 04/18/2011

Married: 09/22/2011 in New Orleans

File date: 12/28/2011

Received: 12/30/2011

Biometrics: 02/27/2012

EAD received: 03/03/2012

SSN application: 03/23/2012

SSN received: 03/30/2012

Interview: 04/24/2012

GC approval: 04/26/2012

Welcome letter: 04/30/2012

GC arrival: 05/04/2012

ROC submitted: 04/07/2014

denied "not properly signed": 04/18/2014 :ranting:

new packet mailed: 04/19/2014

Receipt notice: 04/26/2014

Biometrics Appointment: 05/19/2014 - reschedule request sent

Biometrics Appiontment: 05/29/2014 - they're on their game

Green Card approved: 07/14/2014

Green Card arrived: 07/19/2014

Naturalization process to begin in 2015

Peachy, you're near Philly too!? I'm in Doylestown!! Work in Bristol.

Hehe, "near Philly" seems to be a rather large area. I work in West Chester, but I live in Ephrata, it's a long commute, but it's a job.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Timeline

OMG you're pregnant, congrats Huggles!! :)

Thanks girl! This shows just how long you've been gone!! :lol: Baby girl due at the end of September.

I'm more active, lost weight and became stronger since arriving back in end of April of this year.

I started lifting weights with my husband 3 times a week and we started going to brazilian jiu-jitsu 5/6 times a week - and it's great as the main BJJ Gracie school is nearby! I bike the Los Angeles Bike path thing (painfully) and bike to the store, since I don't have access to a car when my husband is away. I think it's since I get stir-crazy/cabin feverish being stuck at home all the time, going out and being active helped me get around cabin-fever.

And I'm definitely more tanned (and sometimes burnt, I never needed to wear sunblock before now).

I live in Plymouth meeting and work in Paoli. I love going to Philadelphia a lot but it can be scary at times.

When I say zed at work the americans have absolutely no idea what I am saying. They either dont know it is a letter or think I am saying something like zero. Very funny and it gives me a laugh.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.