Pw3t

Search for a job before or after moving ?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello,

My american husband lives in France with me since a year and we are planning to relocate in USA by the end of 2013. We don't have much money to be able to live without a job for too long. We could go live at his mother's for a while but it is in New York and everything is too expensive for us if we are unemployed. We'd rather go somewhere else.

So I was wondering if some of you tried to find a job from outside USA before moving ? Or should we choose a city we like, go there and then try to find ? I have a french equivalent of a bachelor in computer sciences, 4 IT certifications recognized internationnally and 4 years of work experience.

Thank you :)

In this economy I wouldn't go with the "move first-find job later" plan.

As a matter of fact, the reason why we are moving to USA because my fiancee has secured a very good/high position job there.

But if you know whereabout you want to live. It is a very good idea to start researching for job market there.

Timeline

Thank you for your answer. Well the thing I'm afraid of is for the interviews. Do companies often hire their employees without seeing them in person before ? Are Skype or phone interviews frequent ?

Thank you for your answer. Well the thing I'm afraid of is for the interviews. Do companies often hire their employees without seeing them in person before ? Are Skype or phone interviews frequent ?

Unless you have a local address in the area where you're seeking a job, applying from elsewhere will likely mean your resume will go to the bottom of the pile. Most employers want someone who is a) local (i.e. they won't have to worry about requests to pay for relocation) and b) can start within a couple of weeks once the interview and background check are completed.

Most interviews start with a phone screen, however, if you are selected to move to the next round in the hiring process, you'll likely have to interview in-person. Of course, there are exceptions to that rule, especially if you manage to find a company that is completely virtual.

If you're not planning to move until the end of next year, then you have plenty of time to start networking in various IT groups -- LinkedIn is great for this -- and get to know a few recruiters who can help you as soon as your move plans are finalized and you can provide a concrete "I will be in the US and ready to work on this date" timeline. Good luck!

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Timeline

Your 2 answers are so opposite that I don't really know what to think. :innocent:

If I apply from here, I will of course know when I can move and I can move in a month if it's needed. Also I think it would be crazy to ask to pay for relocation... I didn't even know it was possible and why would a company think that I want them to pay for this !!! I don't really know how it works there but it seems weird to me.

The thing is, I want to start applying for a job once I have my visa ir-1 in hands in France and then not move until I find something there. From what you said LeftCoastLady, it seems impossible to do but according to GandK, I should do it... So well... I don't know. :bonk:

Your 2 answers are so opposite that I don't really know what to think. :innocent:

If I apply from here, I will of course know when I can move and I can move in a month if it's needed. Also I think it would be crazy to ask to pay for relocation... I didn't even know it was possible and why would a company think that I want them to pay for this !!! I don't really know how it works there but it seems weird to me.

The thing is, I want to start applying for a job once I have my visa ir-1 in hands in France and then not move until I find something there. From what you said LeftCoastLady, it seems impossible to do but according to GandK, I should do it... So well... I don't know. :bonk:

It's not impossible, but that is the reality. If you're an employer weighing two candidates, are you going to look at someone who is local and can start in a couple of weeks once the background checks are done or wait 1-2 months for the person overseas to pack up and move? Unless you're in a super-specialized field (e.g. corporate-level IT security) where the skill set you have is in high demand and you're a rockstar at it, the employer may opt for the local person.

If you and your husband are able to live with his mum for a month or two, at least you'd be in the US and can quickly travel for interviews. Because, how are you planning to handle the interview process if they want to meet with you in person before moving forward in the hiring process and you're still in France?

The relocation benefit offered by an employer isn't an everyday occurrence in the US, but it is offered in some cases...again, especially for the rockstars/super-specialized talent. But, I mentioned that more in the context of an employer seeing a non-local mailing address on your resume and thinking, "Pfft! I have 15 applicants in the immediate 25-mile radius. Is this person really going to move here for this job?"

Again, it's not impossible, but it's not easy, either. If living with the husband's mum is a no-go, then it would be best for you and your husband to start identifying exactly where you want to move and doing some research into that area's job market, who's hiring, the type of talent they're seeking, etc. As I mentioned upthread, this would be something where a talent recruiter could assist you in locating positions and helping get your foot in the door.

Edited by LeftCoastLady

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Timeline

I understand what you mean. I'm still going to try applying from here, it's still worth a try and if it doesn't work, I will consider going to my husband's mother. Thank you very much for your advice :D

Hi PW3T!

I am about to move to US too in Aug/Sept. Right now, I have started sending out applications. What I do is I put in my current address and my US address and send out cover letter too indicating the date of my move.

Praying somebody replies soon.

=)

Filed I-130 : Oct. 20,2010

Notice of Action: Nov. 29,2010

NoA received: Dec.3, 2010

NoA reply sent: Feb 3,2011

Bangkok USCIS receipt: Feb. 7,2011

Notice of Approval : Feb. 23,2011

Our NoA receipt: March 7,2011

Packet 3 received: April 1, 2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Find job and then move to USA. If you have experience, you can get job quite easily.

Isn't unemployment over 8% right now? I recently got about 80 applications for a minimum wage job. I'm in California, and it's tougher here, but I haven't heard of anyone getting a job "easily" in a long time.

To answer the question, I think it depends on the type of job you're applying for. Like a previous person said, employers might be willing to go out of their way for a highly specialized position, or someone with unusual talents.

For other jobs, the type where you're just sending in your resume along with 100 others, you're not getting an interview if you're not in the country. I got one from another state, and I shoved in a file because I figured the person applied in error, and if they didn't...well, I can't be bothered with it anyway.

Even so, it won't hurt to start looking. At the very least you'll get a good idea of what's out there and what they pay. But don't get your hopes up.

AOS

5/16/2012 - Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 1:33pm

5/21/2012 - Email/text notifications received at 4:50 p.m.

5/26/2012 - NOA hard copies received for I-130, I-485 and I-765

6/19/2012 - Biometrics completed.

7/02/2012 - Text/email/hard copy notification of interview.

7/30/2012 - EAD card production ordered.

8/02/2012 - Interview @ 2:00

8/02/2012 - Email notification of GC production at 5:30pm

8/07/2012 - Second GC production email

8/07/2012 - EAD received.

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

8/09/2012 - Welcome letter and I-130 approval letter received.

8/10/2012 - Green card received. :)

Timeline

Yea, well I'm a network administrator here in a university. According to the job offers I've seen on monster or even careerbuilder, my profile seems more to be called network engineer in USA (since in France there is a special diploma needed to be called engineer). So that is my position ; it seems there are a lot of job offers in this field on internet but I don't know how many people are seeking for example.

It's really hard to know how the job market is there ? Especially in my line of work.

Good luck rayne :) If you find, don't forget to let us know.

Timeline

I want to add something about the 8% unemployment rate that you mentionned. According to these statistics for the bureau of labor, the rate is only 3.9% for people with a bachelor or higher degree which gives me a little more hope in general.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Hello,

My american husband lives in France with me since a year and we are planning to relocate in USA by the end of 2013. We don't have much money to be able to live without a job for too long. We could go live at his mother's for a while but it is in New York and everything is too expensive for us if we are unemployed. We'd rather go somewhere else.

So I was wondering if some of you tried to find a job from outside USA before moving ? Or should we choose a city we like, go there and then try to find ? I have a french equivalent of a bachelor in computer sciences, 4 IT certifications recognized internationnally and 4 years of work experience.

Thank you :)

PW, being in another country, my opinion is that you should only look for a job at a date closer to your arrival in the US. The location itself does not matter much for companies will fly in any candidates that raise their interest, but you need to be ready to make that move if you are offered a job.

The only suggestion I can give you - based on your education - is that you consider obtaining a Project Management certification if you don't have one yet, and if you do, consider sitting for the PMP. There is a good market for IT professionals in the area of Project Management. Besides, a PM certification will help you with any career you may choose to follow.

Good luck!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

Thank you for your advice. I think that is a good way to do. I am going to consider taking the certification you are talking about too. I actually have Cisco CCNA, VMware vpshere 5, ITIL and an old Windows XP. I am going to take the cisco ccna voice also by the end of the year.

Thank you again

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.