one...two...tree

Los Angeles becomes largest U.S. city to ban plastic bags

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
los-angeles-river-plastic-cleanup.jpg

It's time to bust out your reusable bags Los Angeles.

In a near-unanimous 13-1 vote by the city council, Los Angeles became the largest city in the United States to put a ban on plastic bags at grocery store checkout lines — though paper bags will still be available for 10-cents each. The ban will affect about 7,500 stores throughout the city.

A reader poll from the Los Angeles Times shows that about 51 percent of readers support the measure and 10 percent support it as long as they have the option to pay for paper bags.

Throughout the country, a handful of cities have already addressed the use of plastic bags through city policy. In 2007, San Francisco banned plastic bags in grocery stores and now bans them at all retail and food establishments. Seattle passed their ban last year. Other cities, like Washington, D.C., have placed a tax on plastic bags and have significantly reduced their use. The small fee of 5-cents per bag reduced plastic bag use by an estimated 60 percent.

Speaking anecdotally as a D.C. resident, the bag tax is working well. Here you are given the choice of bags, you just have to pay for plastic ones. The fee doesn't prevent you from using them, but you do have to make a conscious decision to do so. Instead of a cashier assuming that you need a bag (as has been my experience in places outside D.C.), or asking "Do you want paper or plastic?" the cashier will ask "Do you need bags?" It's a small difference in the phrase, but the majority of people I encounter at the grocery store carry reusable bags. The tax in D.C. has created a habit that seems to be catching on.

Whether it's a ban in L.A. or a tax in D.C., cities are certainly leading the way in reducing plastic bag use.

http://www.smartplan...astic-bags/3265

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Idiots. California dreamin' of you falling off into the Ocean. Love the fact that at the end of the day this is a tax on the poor! Good job LA! Typical left-wing liberal trash.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

people will now carry sacks.. lol

"Family time is very precious and you should cherish every moment of it."

01/20/12 - I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox.

01/26/12 - NOA1 received and processing at Vermont.

06/28/12 - NOA2 announced on status check.

06/29/12 - NVC received case learned on 07/2/12.

06/30/12 - Hard copy NOA2 received.

07/09/12 - NVC Casefile Number and IIN Issued.

07/16/12 - Receive and Sent DS-3032 via email.

07/17/12 - Mailed DS-3032 via mail, AOS bill received via email, paid online, Optin email sent.

07/18/12 - Optin accepted and new case number, AOS marked paid, emailed AOS packet.

07/24/12 - Assigned as Agent, IV Fee bill received via email, paid online.

07/25/12 - IV Fee marked paid, emailed IV packet.

07/31/12 - Emailed GZO Supplemental Packet 3.

08/02/12 - Case completed and commenced final review.

08/03/12 - Shipped all copies of forms/letters/documents to my wife - arriving on 8/9/12.

08/06/12 - Case completed final review.

08/09/12 - Appointment letter received via email interview date set 9/6/12.

08/14/12 - Medical exam done.

08/15/12 - Medical exam results all normal.

09/06/12 - Submitted required documents at the embassy and interview set next day at 0730.

09/07/12 - Visa approved, click here for review http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-dos-cis-reviews.php?entry=10401 .

09/14/12 - Visa received on hand!

10/07/12 - Arrived at NYC! click here for review http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-poe-reviews.php?entry=15293

10/20/12 - Received welcome letter from USCIS.

10/25/12 - Green Card received!

"Nothing is more difficult than the art of maneuvering for advantageous positions." - Sun-Tzu

04/27/13 - Submitted DS-160 online for parent-in-laws and sister-in-law.

05/01/13 - Paid DS-160 or MRV Fee Payments on CGI Stanley.

05/03/13 - Made appointment for 05/16/13 on CGI Stanley.

05/16/13 - Arrived at GUZ and impromptu notice on the front it was closed.

05/30/13 - B2 visa interview passed! Read review here http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/433263-b2-visa-was-approved-for-parentinlaw/ <p>

"Good ideas are not adopted automatically. They must be driven into practice with courageous patience." - ADM Hyman G. Rickover

08/08/14 - Mailed I-175 application.

08/11/14 - I-175 arrived at VSC.

08/18/14 - Received NOA1 with date 08/12/14.

08/27/14 - Received biometrics appointment for 09/09/14.

02/27/15 - GC in production from email notification.

03/02/15 - Received NOA2 with approval dated 02/25/15.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

just one more example of the Lefts hatred of freedom and choice.... unless of course it's a fetus.

I wonder if after they remove the unborn..... piece by piece, if they are still putting all those little body parts in plastic bags or if the moms

are also required to bring a reusable bag to put the little arms legs and torso in?

Well I guess for medical "waste" plastic is still permitted.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Austin passes plastic bag ban

Following a three hour discussion on the issue, the Austin City Council voted unanimously Thursday to pass the bag ban ordinance.

Retail stores will not be able to offer single-use plastic or paper bags at check out beginning in March of 2013. Shoppers will be required to bring a reusable bag.

The city is expected to spend up to $2 million to educate residents about the change.

KXAN-TV has more.

The Texas Campaign for the Environment held a press conference Thursday and said local large and small retailers support requiring reusable bags.

Edited by Mister Fancypants

Leave it to Danno to take a plastic bag ban and turn it into an abortion rant.

To the OP, not a fan of banning plastic bags, they recycle and are easily reusable as well.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Leave it to Danno to take a plastic bag ban and turn it into an abortion rant.

To the OP, not a fan of banning plastic bags, they recycle and are easily reusable as well.

Highlighting the hypocrisy was hanging there like a softball.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

This seems kind of uselessly silly. Won't stores still be selling those "Hefty"-type plastic garbage and lawn bags ? People have to put their garbage in something to tote it to the bin. So now, instead of recycling the thin freebie store bags, they will use the heavier, harder-to-break-down bags ? I am not sure how this helps...

Anyway, I already recycle or re-use all the plastic bags I end up with. I use the larger ones to line my trashcan, and put the rest in the recycling bin at the grocery store.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

just one more example of the Lefts hatred of freedom and choice....

You can still take your own plastic bags to the grocery store and have your groceries packed in them.

They are not prohibiting plastic bags so much as they are no longer making them available at grocery stores.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Most people in the DC area believe this is just a way for the stores to make another 5 cents per bag...

For me, I could care care less about the nickel(s). If I remember to bring a bag, I'll use it...if I don't, I'll cough up a nickel. So be it...

“Acquire the spirit of peace and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” Saint Seraphim of Sarov

jesus-animated-gif-image-0110.gif

“The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” Pablo Cassals

Filed: Timeline

Most people in the DC area believe this is just a way for the stores to make another 5 cents per bag...

For me, I could care care less about the nickel(s). If I remember to bring a bag, I'll use it...if I don't, I'll cough up a nickel. So be it...

It would help if you got better bags for a nickel. All the plastic bags I have been getting lately already have holes in them.

On a serious note, we passed through LA county last month, and stopped at a Walmart near Magic Mountain. No plastic bags, self checkout, and 10 cents a piece for paper bags, if you wanted one. I noticed almost nobody bothered bagging at all. It was really strange pushing the cart out of the store, and no bags.

Edited by ☼

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

It would help if you got better bags for a nickel. All the plastic bags I have been getting lately already have holes in them.

On a serious note, we passed through LA county last month, and stopped at a Walmart near Magic Mountain. No plastic bags, self checkout, and 10 cents a piece for paper bags, if you wanted one. I noticed almost nobody bothered bagging at all. It was really strange pushing the cart out of the store, and no bags.

LOL. I have seen that at Ikea and Walmart stores back east as well. It does not take much to remind us how wasteful we tend to be if left to our own devices...

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org