ansabhi

study in usa.....

21 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: India
Timeline

my pd is f4 jan 21,2001 and i am from india.

after months i will get visa letter i want to know that can i get admission without giving toefl or ielts exam.

i am studying in pharmacy in gujarat(india).

please suggetst me…

i am very confused..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You do not need to know English to get your family visa via your siblin if that is what you mean; even for the visa interview, you can have an interpreter.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you plan on studying in the US, as the title of this tread suggests, then you'll need TOFEL, especially if you plan on continuing to study pharmacy - as I am sure you can see why English mastery would be necessary for that

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

i think,after months i shall get us visa letter.my pd for f4 is 22 january 2001, i want to know that can i got admission in us university without giving TOEFL or IELTS exam.

now i am studying in b.pharm in gujarat(india).i am very confused,stying here for complete my half study or starting again in usa.please suggetst me..

Timeline

If you plan on studying in the US, as the title of this tread suggests, then you'll need TOFEL, especially if you plan on continuing to study pharmacy - as I am sure you can see why English mastery would be necessary for that

Good luck

which is better way?

staying here for complete my 3rd and 4th year b.pharm in india.

or

give toefl exam and AGAIN Starting my study in usa.?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

It all depends on what you want to do ansabhi. Do you want to be a pharmacist here? If so, YES you must take the TOEFL. The requirements in law to be a pharmacist in the US now include having a PharmD.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

If you can make this work, I would suggest that you take the TOEFL and transfer your studies to the US

It may be difficult and you may have to do more than the 2 years left that you have because of the difference in curriculum here.

But it will be better for your future in the US to finish your degree at a US institution.

I think if you finish your degree in India you will need to take additional licensing exams to be a pharmacist in the US

You will still need to take TOEFL as well.

AOS 05/08/10 - sent05/14/10 - receipt date on NOAs - transferred to National Benefits Center06/14/10 - Biometrics Done - Lawrence, MA (original appt)07/26/10 - Interview - APPROVED!!07/30/10 - Welcome letter rec'd (notice date: 07/26)08/05/10 - Green Card (&EAD) Received! - 2 months and 28 days total!ROC 04/28/12 - ROC package sent05/03/12 - check cashed05/04/12 - NOA1 received - dated 05/01/1206/07/12 - Biometrics done02/07/13 - Approved (status update via text msg)02/14/13 - Ten year Green card receivedNaturalization07/26/13 - eligible (90 day window opened 4/27/13)02/24/14 - N-400 sent to Dallas03/04/14 - Check cashed & case accepted (update via txt & email)03/10/14 - Biometrics appt letter rec'd (scheduled for 03/28/13)03/28/14 - Biometrics done04/01/14 - In line for interview 04/03/14 - Case status change to scheduled for interview04/10/14 - interview letter rec'd 5/13/14 - interview 6/3/14 - in line for oath 6/30/14 - Scheduled for oath

Timeline

It all depends on what you want to do ansabhi. Do you want to be a pharmacist here? If so, YES you must take the TOEFL. The requirements in law to be a pharmacist in the US now include having a PharmD.

if i complete my b.pharm in india then i got admission in master degree..

is there any value of b.pharm of indian univerity in USA....?

Timeline
AOS 05/08/10 - sent05/14/10 - receipt date on NOAs - transferred to National Benefits Center06/14/10 - Biometrics Done - Lawrence, MA (original appt)07/26/10 - Interview - APPROVED!!07/30/10 - Welcome letter rec'd (notice date: 07/26)08/05/10 - Green Card (&EAD) Received! - 2 months and 28 days total!ROC 04/28/12 - ROC package sent05/03/12 - check cashed05/04/12 - NOA1 received - dated 05/01/1206/07/12 - Biometrics done02/07/13 - Approved (status update via text msg)02/14/13 - Ten year Green card receivedNaturalization07/26/13 - eligible (90 day window opened 4/27/13)02/24/14 - N-400 sent to Dallas03/04/14 - Check cashed & case accepted (update via txt & email)03/10/14 - Biometrics appt letter rec'd (scheduled for 03/28/13)03/28/14 - Biometrics done04/01/14 - In line for interview 04/03/14 - Case status change to scheduled for interview04/10/14 - interview letter rec'd 5/13/14 - interview 6/3/14 - in line for oath 6/30/14 - Scheduled for oath

Timeline

If you can make this work, I would suggest that you take the TOEFL and transfer your studies to the US

It may be difficult and you may have to do more than the 2 years left that you have because of the difference in curriculum here.

But it will be better for your future in the US to finish your degree at a US institution.

I think if you finish your degree in India you will need to take additional licensing exams to be a pharmacist in the US

You will still need to take TOEFL as well.

thanxx for suggest..

but someone suggest me,when you are going usa then you become green card holder and u don't need to giving any toefl or ielts exam.

you got direct admission in us school of pharmcy..

is that true..?

i am CONFUSED...!!!!

Timeline

It depends on the school/program/etc - but most likely you will need the TOEFL. You've been schooled in english and most likely being Indian, since you were 5 or 6 years old. The TOEFL is not hard if your schooling has been in English. It's not like sitting a placement exam in India. Also, compared to the other expenses in higher learning in the US - it isn't expensive.

You'll need to complete 3-4 years at a doctorate level course - NOT a master's course - to get your PharmD. Depending on the school, your talking about $80k if not more.

As it stands, it sounds like you have done 2 years of your b.pharm? Some of that will transfer assuming you are not at one of those questionable for-profit institutes that are all over India for mbbs, dental school, pharmacy. If you're in one of the state schools or known private schools, the credits should transfer. You will probably need to complete 2 more years of undergraduate studies here.

I would look at the programs closest to where you are relocating...

Timeline

Unfortunately that is not completely true. It has less to do with having a green card, and more to do with proficiency level and country of citizenship

Most universities still require TOEFL for greencard holders who are not from English speaking countries.

There is a list of exempt countries but India is not one of them.

Some may give you exemption if you have attended another US school or if you have had your greencard for a year.

The TOEFL is meant to help you be successful in your studies not hinder you :)

I know I'm glad I had to study it and take it. It prepared me :)

I suggest you start looking at different schools you might be interested in and see what their policies are concerning English proficiency requirement.

Timeline

Oh and CATKNIT is right. It's not a hard test if you have been studying English all your life

In Indonesia students start taking English in the 4th or 5th grade and studying for the TOEFL just brought me to a higher level of proficiency

Timeline

It depends on the school/program/etc - but most likely you will need the TOEFL. You've been schooled in english and most likely being Indian, since you were 5 or 6 years old. The TOEFL is not hard if your schooling has been in English. It's not like sitting a placement exam in India. Also, compared to the other expenses in higher learning in the US - it isn't expensive.

You'll need to complete 3-4 years at a doctorate level course - NOT a master's course - to get your PharmD. Depending on the school, your talking about $80k if not more.

As it stands, it sounds like you have done 2 years of your b.pharm? Some of that will transfer assuming you are not at one of those questionable for-profit institutes that are all over India for mbbs, dental school, pharmacy. If you're in one of the state schools or known private schools, the credits should transfer. You will probably need to complete 2 more years of undergraduate studies here.

I would look at the programs closest to where you are relocating...

As You All Told,then i will go to toefl coaching class of Next Month..

Also

i;m studying in one of the Deemed Universities in gujarat ..

how can they transfer credit of my desire university in usa without spoiling my half of 2 years..

is that possible...?

Timeline

It is very possible to move those credits :thumbs: .

If I were in your shoes, I would start doing some major "homework" on how you're going to do this.

#1 - Prepare and take the TOEFL - looks like you have that sorted if you're taking a prep course.

#2 - Start looking at the Pharm.D programs closest to where you are moving and see what the requirements are.

a. Do you need an undergraduate degree to apply?

b. What are the course requirements for that undergraduate degree?

c. What schools near your new US home have those undergraduate degrees?

#3 - If you need to pick a school for the undergraduate degree, start talking to their admissions people. Get out emails, explain your situation [immigrating to the US on a family visa - you will not need to talk to them about getting a student visa].

a. Find out if you need to take any US standardized exams [sAT, ACT] - chances are you don't, but make sure

b. Find out scheduling for the school - you have an "idea" of when your visa may come through - you don't want to loose money based on a guess on when you'll be stateside. This will also help you figure out when to apply as some schools don't have rolling admissions and you may need to apply during certain windows [say by Feb 1 to start in summer term, etc].

c. At their request, send in your marksheets/transcripts. With this information, they will be able to tell you what transfers. You may be able to pre-emptively have an organization like WES critique them also. You want to fight for as many of those classes to transfer as possible so your schooling in the US is less.

With this information - what the Pharm.D school wants and what an undergraduate school wants - you should be able to go forward with a plan. Oh, and the graduate school and Pharm.D school may be one in the same...depends on how you want to do it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.