lotsofluck

Wait times for Visas and US Embassies

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have been driving myself CRAZY trying to look up stuff online regarding visas and appointments. I really hope someone here can help me.

I'm a pregnant US citizen whose boyfriend is a German citizen. He is currently trying to get a visa to come over here before the baby's born (in August), but if not he'll just have to get the visa waiver (is that right?). Is there any way he could still make an appointment with the US Embassy in Berlin? How long are appointment waiting times usually? If it's cutting close and he won't be able to make it in Germany, is there any way I could help him with that when he gets here to the US? Are there US Embassies within the US?

Thank you all so much!

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

He is from Germany he doesn't need to apply for a tourist visa to come to USA, he can enter using de Visa Waiver Program (VWP), is a program which allows citizens of specific countries to travel to the United States for tourism or business for up to 90 days, but he may have some problems trying to enter in the USA, first he is a "potential immigrant" because you live here and soon he will have an american child.

I saw several people denied entrance because of that.He should not lie or omit about you,because later on he can have serious problems trying to immigrate to USA. If he decides to apply for a visa to come to USA to spend more than 90 days probably the Us Consulate won't issue the visa, once he is a potential immigrant. He can try to get a visa to stay more than 90 days, but if he is coming to visit you less than 90 days he doesnt have to apply for a visa, he just need to go online and file out the ESTA.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Keep in mind they still can deny his entrance upon arrival.Good luck

Edited by sandranj

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

if he's a German Citizen, ask him to file for ESTA online with the VWP, and see what happens.

The interview date for that 'other' visa can be rescheduled.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What Visa is he trying to get?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

What Visa is he trying to get?

He's trying to get whatever visa he can for now (maybe a tourist visa?)...eventually we want to apply for a K-1 Fiance Visa. I don't know about work...his english isn't very good but he's very handy. If someone would hire him anyway, could he get a work visa?

Timeline

oh my. a work visa? Most likely not.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

He is from Germany he doesn't need to apply for a tourist visa to come to USA, he can enter using de Visa Waiver Program (VWP), is a program which allows citizens of specific countries to travel to the United States for tourism or business for up to 90 days, but he may have some problems trying to enter in the USA, first he is a "potential immigrant" because you live here and soon he will have an american child.

I saw several people denied entrance because of that.He should not lie or omit about you,because later on he can have serious problems trying to immigrate to USA. If he decides to apply for a visa to come to USA to spend more than 90 days probably the Us Consulate won't issue the visa, once he is a potential immigrant. He can try to get a visa to stay more than 90 days, but if he is coming to visit you less than 90 days he doesnt have to apply for a visa, he just need to go online and file out the ESTA.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Keep in mind they still can deny his entrance upon arrival.Good luck

Oh, this is not good. What if he intends on really staying 90 days or less? Then going back to Germany to get his visa later? Would they still not let him in? Like if he had a ticket back in 3 months, could they look that up? I'm trying to do anything that can let him stay here for at least 90 days. Anything else we can figure out later.

Timeline

'his visa later' - if this is truly a tourist visa, then something is amiss.

VWP entry and tourist visa can be interchangeable as terms, but if one has ESTA with VWP, no tourist visa needed.

Why must he have interview for a visa, and (again) what visa is he applying for?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He's trying to get whatever visa he can for now (maybe a tourist visa?)...eventually we want to apply for a K-1 Fiance Visa. I don't know about work...his english isn't very good but he's very handy. If someone would hire him anyway, could he get a work visa?

You apply for a specific Visa, if he wants to visit why can he not use the VWP.

For a work Visa, would his Employer be able to transfer him, what are his Degree's in, what Professional Qualifications does he have?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

'his visa later' - if this is truly a tourist visa, then something is amiss.

VWP entry and tourist visa can be interchangeable as terms, but if one has ESTA with VWP, no tourist visa needed.

Why must he have interview for a visa, and (again) what visa is he applying for?

He would apply for a tourist visa, I guess, simply if it increases his chances of coming into the country (EVEN IF he can only stay 90 days...we'll take it and figure out everything else later down the road). When I heard that they can just deny anyone access with ESTA or VWP from coming into the country, it freaked me out. So would it be better if he tried to get a visa now? Or should he just apply for the ESTA and take his chances? It's extremely important to him to be here for his baby's birth, but if he has to go back after 90 days he will. But now I keep thinking he's gonna go through customs and not be allowed in...(??) because they can turn him away? I mean, this flight is costing him a grand, so how could he come all the way here to not be allowed entry? I want to prevent that from happening more than anything.

You apply for a specific Visa, if he wants to visit why can he not use the VWP.

For a work Visa, would his Employer be able to transfer him, what are his Degree's in, what Professional Qualifications does he have?

If he can only visit he would only visit, and go back in 90 days. But how does he go through customs without them giving him a hard time? I just keep thinking he NEEDS a visa to be allowed access here.

I don't know how work visas work...he works over there but not for a company that does anything over here that they would transfer him here for. Would it be different if he came and someone here wanted him for work? He does construction, and is certainly qualified for it.

Timeline

he should have careful planning, really, as this concept of 'buying a ticket' seems troublesome.

do the ESTA thing now for VWP. Pass? buy ticket.

Fail? file for tourist visa. Get tourist visa? buy ticket.

he should have careful planning, really, as this concept of 'buying a ticket' seems troublesome.

do the ESTA thing now for VWP. Pass? buy ticket.

Fail? file for tourist visa. Get tourist visa? buy ticket.

Thanks. My question though is: if he applies for ESTA for VWP and PASSES...what's the point if they can just turn him away anyway? Would it just be easier to get a visa? And if so, is there TIME to get a visa?

Timeline

yer asking about a tourist visa from Germany, in Germany, for a German Citizen.

Sorry, I'm out, I've no clue on how to assist you.

Good Luck !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.