hellotoall

Cousins getting Married

38 posts in this topic

I would not be so cavalier to say her problems are over. Maybe her big worry - the cousin part - but he applied twice twice here for a student visa but it seems it was more to be with woman than to go to school. If this is true they might want more info. They will have a record of this.

I never said she was guaranteed approval. Of course the CO will look at the totality of circumstances and make a determination about the merits of the case. If the marriage is bona fide, and if the alien is admissible, the visa will be granted. She was asking if being married to her cousin is an automatic denial, and no, it is not. Lying about it, however, would be an automatic denial.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline

Thank you. This is exactly what i am worried about! He did go and apply for a student visa twice to be with me! I told him to do this because i thought we were too young to get married then. Now we are married. We have been married for over 1 year now. We have a lot of evidence that we were together even when he applied for a student visa. Would this help?? Should i be worried for being cousins and him applying for a student visa twice in the past?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Most people have more than one intention in their plans for travel. Did he actually intend to be a student when he was applying for his student visa or was THAT a complete lie?

If he had no intention of being a student whatsoever, well...

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Laos
Timeline

The CO in Laos US embassy were suspicious of my huaband (then fiance) and I because my hubby's last name and my mothers last name were the same. We aren't cousins. She thought we were cousins and that our relationship was fixed by his family and my mom. Also they keep a record of addresses and phones when you petition for visa. My husband's uncle's address and phone where in their system from his uncle petitioning for a wife 10 years ago. They put us on AP and called his uncle and we didn't even know about it. Luckily they didn't have enough to deny us on. So if you guys interview for the cr1/ir1 visa the CO may ask about his earlier petition for student visa and putting your address as his aunts. Or maybe they won't ask anything. I don't know about the cousin thing tho, I guess it will depend on the CO and how closely related you are...ie first cousin, second cousin, and etc.

Good luck and I hope for the best.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The most important thing is to never lie. Misrepresentation is a very big deal. Make this your no.1 rule.

In regards to the student visa, was your husband planning to be a student or merely using the visa to get to the US?

Also :time: so if you have any future questions people will be able to help you!

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Well, we both want to finish school. So it wasn't a complete lie that he wanted to be a student. But, the main reason was for him to be close to me. Would this be an issue? I just hope and pray that noone asks. Thanks everyone! Good luck to all!

No matter whats asked of you two, just be honest. I know you would much rather a "delay" in your spouse's arrival than an actual ban from the US. Please take everyone's advice here seriously about honesty......its really the BEST policy. :thumbs:

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Well, we both want to finish school. So it wasn't a complete lie that he wanted to be a student. But, the main reason was for him to be close to me. Would this be an issue? I just hope and pray that noone asks. Thanks everyone! Good luck to all!

If he did plan to study, there is not a lie.

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Well, we both want to finish school.

That wasn't the question. There is a difference between WANT and PLAN. I WANT to win the lottery. I PLAN to save money so that we have plenty for retirement. (And we are actively doing just that--not just talking about it.)

Did he actually PLAN to register and pay for classes and be honest? Or did he just "want" to finish school?

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Filed: Timeline

It's not illegal to want to study in the US because you have a gf in the US. That would be a relevant factor in many people's choice of school.

The important part when applying for an F-1 is that you intend to go to the US to actually study full time.

If he was planning to study full time, no problem.

Also, if you're first cousins, and marriage is legal between first cousins in Florida, no problem.

Edited by jaejayC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi All,

I am a US citizen and my husband is a foreign citizen.

The question here is this---my husband is my cousin. In our foreign country, if there are no genetic issues, then we are legally married.It wasn't planned, we just fell in love. We have been in a relationship for 6 years---(I went to see him every year, lots of e-mails, phone calls, etc). I was the type of person who NEVER thought i would marry my cousin. I was born and raised in the US. We love each other dearly.

I am nervous that at the embassy, when they ask if we are related, what should he say??

He applied for a student visa two times, and both times he was denied. (i told him to apply for the student visa because that could be a way for us to be together--we were too young to get married).Now, I am 24 and he is 25. On one of his student visa applications, he wrote that he is going to live with his aunt in the US (he wrote down my US address).

When asked why he applied for a student visa, what should he say? And if they (god-forbid) look further and ask him why the US address he used for his student visa (the one he said he would live with his aunt) is the same US address for his wife, what should he say??

I am sorry if i have confused anyone. I love my husband dearly, and we have been together for almost 7 years now. PLEASE HELP! Thank you!

first cousins? second cousins? third ? if you are second or third I think you will have a chance.

jkshrmfeqk.png

ooOcm7.png

event.png

If both of you are Muslims then there will be no problem to tell the Truth that you are married to your cousin.

Do you mind if I ask which country does your husband came from its a big deal as well ( if it's India / Middle East) it is acceptable.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.