hellotoall

Cousins getting Married

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi All,

I am a US citizen and my husband is a foreign citizen.

The question here is this---my husband is my cousin. In our foreign country, if there are no genetic issues, then we are legally married.It wasn't planned, we just fell in love. We have been in a relationship for 6 years---(I went to see him every year, lots of e-mails, phone calls, etc). I was the type of person who NEVER thought i would marry my cousin. I was born and raised in the US. We love each other dearly.

I am nervous that at the embassy, when they ask if we are related, what should he say??

He applied for a student visa two times, and both times he was denied. (i told him to apply for the student visa because that could be a way for us to be together--we were too young to get married).Now, I am 24 and he is 25. On one of his student visa applications, he wrote that he is going to live with his aunt in the US (he wrote down my US address).

When asked why he applied for a student visa, what should he say? And if they (god-forbid) look further and ask him why the US address he used for his student visa (the one he said he would live with his aunt) is the same US address for his wife, what should he say??

I am sorry if i have confused anyone. I love my husband dearly, and we have been together for almost 7 years now. PLEASE HELP! Thank you!

Yes, you can admit you are cousins. In fact, if you lie, you will most certainly be denied, so you must admit you are cousins.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Yes, you can admit you are cousins. In fact, if you lie, you will most certainly be denied, so you must admit you are cousins.

Thank you. I've heard that if you DO admit you are cousins, you will (God-forbid) certainly be denied because it is against the law. Is this true??

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Always tell the truth NEVER lie.

Besides they probably already know about the address thing and the fact you are cousins. If you lie then they will know you lied and deny you for it. By posting your information on here they can also access this and see what you have said/ plan to do. Previously people have mentioned that the US embassy did know about their posting on here and on facebook. The fingers of the background checks reach far. Do not lie or make things up.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Thank you so much for your replies. I am still very nervous that (God-forbid) we will be denied for this.

What happens if God-forbid we are denied because of this?

Does that mean we can never be together? (God-forbid---I don't even want to think about it :(

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The lying and not telling the whole truth needs to end. No more, not for any reason. That is what will ultimately cause any problems that you will experience.

From the Field Adjudicators Manual:

In some foreign countries, and some states in the United States, marriages between close relatives (e.g., cousins) are permitted under certain circumstances. In cases where such marriages do not offend the laws of the state where the parties reside, the marriage will be recognized for immigration purposes.

What country are we talking about? That info will help members give more specific advice.

Now it is the time to prove that you married to have a life together, not just to help him obtain a visa to the US. Do some reading here on VJ to learn what types of evidence is expected to prove a bona fide marital relationship. Again, this can vary by country.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Cousin, in what sense, 1st cousins, paternal or maternal cousins? In some states cousins are allowed to marry, does your state allow cousins to get married and what are the criterias?

It says here it is legal in Florida. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_marriage Besides which, the marriage is taking place abroad, correct?

What makes you think it is illegal? A guess?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Good luck! (F)

I-130

2011-08-20 Posted

2011-08-31 NOA1

2011-09-03 Touch

2011-11-18 Sent Expedite Request to USCIS

2011-12-09 Response Received for Exepedite Request

"Wait your turn" in a nutshell

2011-12-02 Sent Expedite Request to US Representative Ed Royce

2012-01-27 Sent Expedite Request to Immigration Ombudsman

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Barbara Boxer

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Dianne Feinstein

2012-03-08 Case transferred to field office for additional processing

2012-03-23 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-05-10 Transferred to another office for processing

2012-05-14 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-06-05 Approved NOA2

2012-07-17 NVC Case/Invoice # Received

Petitioner: US Born Citizen (Wife)

Beneficiary: British Born Citizen (Husband)

Your I-130 was approved in 279 days from your NOA1 date

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.