is there a way?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

The Petition is $340

The visa application is $240

The medical varies in Germany plan about $180

AOS $1070

You say he has no problem going back to Ghana but you also mention asylum. Could you explain the asylum situation more?

Edited by Operator

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

He will have to return to Ghana unless he was granted asylum. You both will have to pay for the petition , the visa, the medicals, police reoorts from everywhere he has lived more than 6 months since he was 18 ( this includes places he was illegal ) and his AOS. They will ask about his stays there but they don't cause him to incur a ban to the US. If he has any crimes for drugs then you have issues. You also have to show that you can support him which means a job where you are making over 18k ( probably closer to 20 by interview time as it increases every year )

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

The cost of the visa is not the only financial issue. You are going to have to prove that you can support him once he moves to the states. You said you do not have a job in the states yet? You need to be sure you have enough income to meet the poverty guidelines in order to support your fiance. Or have a co-sponsor for this. Not sure what your financial situation will be, but this is something you have to consider as well.

Also, a my friend had to get police certs from all of the places she lived (she has lived in 2 different countries part of the EU) Wouldn't he have a problem getting that from Germany since they have no record of him being there? (you have to list the places you have lived on the forms)

Filed: Timeline

Living illegally in Germany and previous refugee status in Spain may be a red flag. I hear Accra is a tough consulate. As in, don't be surprised if the CO might assume he's "western country hopping." You having lived in Germany for so long will probably help though.. As in, it makes the relationship more credible.

I would frontload the petition with as much evidence of a bona fide relationship as you can though, and other posters are right, if he has no legal status in Germany, he will not be interviewing there.

The police certificates might be a problem, as he needs one from every country he has lived for a longer period of time.. And with no status in Germany, I'm not sure the polizei would have anything to give him in the first place..

Edited by jaejayC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

LadyBanks, I would be very careful on how to go about this. People are raising very good points. While the US doesn't care what you do when you are not in the states, little inconsistencies in your application will become a huge deal and you may end up getting denied for reasons that have nothing to do with your biggest concern.

You have several red flags.... You would need to disclose past employment and residential address among others, and if you attempt to conceal any information, you will have to cover it with something else ad infinitum. I think its best if he goes back to GH, stays for some time. The longer he's there, the better it would be.

In the early months, I noticed a few CBO etc available for consultation. This is not a process worth doing twice so take your time and do it right.

Good luck

Our Timeline

07.04.2011 - Heard about J through a mutual friend

07.15.2011 - First 4-5hr conversation into the night

07.16.2011 - First Date

07.17.2011 - Definitely exclusive!!!

07.28.2011 - I met J's mom

08.07.2011 - J met my parents

11.11.2011 - J asked and I said yes

12.02.2011 - I returned to the US

01.30.2012 - We decided to K1

03.01.2012 - Mailed I-129F to TX

03.12.2012 - Text Confirmation from CSC

03.16.2012 - Check for $340 cashed

03.16.2012 - NOA1 in hand (I thought this was exciting)

07.16.2012 - One year, happy, healthy and in love with my baby

07.27.2012 - Nerves Nerves and a side of Nerves!!!

08.06.2012 - Baby arrive in Ghana for the best vacation ever!!!

08.28.2012 - After all the anxiety, NOA2 arrives (Now this is exciting)

09.04.2012 - App packet reached the NVC (that was fast!!!)

09.06.2012 - App packet left the NVC and is on a train to Ghana! (well, because I dont think its there yet(9/18/2012))

09.18.2012 - Knowing we'll see each other soon, so I am not uber-sad...

10.07.2012 - Sitting here in the 'getting colder USA' thinking of my baby and filling out this signature!

10.10.2012 - J picks up Packets 3 & 4

10.17.2012 - I think baby just got a new job..... I bounced way off the poverty line and yes, I can float my business!

01.06.2013 - Interview packet is completed and ready for submission

01.08.2013 - J had the interview and was APPROVED FOR A K1 VISA

01.08.2013 - (Later today), I finally slept!

01.08.2013 - I made a shopping list for all the GH'ian things I 'need'

Filed: Other Country: Ghana
Timeline

Thanks for all the answers. The problem is also he has traveled to many countries in north Africa after leaving Ghana passing the desert and so on very risky journey but in all countries he was also illegal so immpossible to get any police reports from there... What can we do?? Will they even ask?? I was hoping this wouldn't be so difficult.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Then do not ask, he has to supply. It does depend how long he was in each country.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm not sure I would assume this isn't going to be a problem. If he is deported from Germany, wouldn't that go on some kind of a record? If later he has to apply for German police clearance, which he will, isn't that going to cause problems? You say he has no passport, he's in Germany without one, so they have no record of him entering Germany?

As for the cost, the cost to file the petition is $340, but there are many other costs associated with the process too. The medical required (at least in the Philippines) costs around $200. Then another $350 when you actually schedule the interview at the embassy. Then once he or she is here and you file for adjustment of status, as I understand, it's another $1000 or so. There are fees and costs all along the way.

But being illegally in a country I would think would be something you have to be careful about. You basically have to admit, while applying for one visa, that your fiancé ignored the rules of the visa for another country. That won't make a good impression.

Thanks for all the answers. The problem is also he has traveled to many countries in north Africa after leaving Ghana passing the desert and so on very risky journey but in all countries he was also illegal so immpossible to get any police reports from there... What can we do?? Will they even ask?? I was hoping this wouldn't be so difficult.

Being that he wasn't documented in said countries is irrelevant to the petition requirements. The petition forms ask for specific information. If you don't provide the truth, you will be falsifying the information.

I'm not sure I would assume this isn't going to be a problem. If he is deported from Germany, wouldn't that go on some kind of a record? If later he has to apply for German police clearance, which he will, isn't that going to cause problems? You say he has no passport, he's in Germany without one, so they have no record of him entering Germany?

:thumbs: I agree with this as well not to mention the other countries that he has visited if the stay was for 6 months or longer. As others have mentioned too, this, along with the residency questions on the petition forms will be issues to consider.

As for the cost, the cost to file the petition is $340, but there are many other costs associated with the process too. The medical required (at least in the Philippines) costs around $200. Then another $350 when you actually schedule the interview at the embassy. Then once he or she is here and you file for adjustment of status, as I understand, it's another $1000 or so. There are fees and costs all along the way.

The visa application fee is currently $240.

Edited by ToddnJessa

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

:thumbs: I agree with this as well not to mention the other countries that he has visited if the stay was for 6 months or longer. As others have mentioned too, this, along with the residency questions on the petition forms will be issues to consider.

The visa application fee is currently $240.

Incorrect! The application fee is $340 dollars, the fee to be paid at the Embassy is $240 (used to be $350)

The Petition is $340

The visa application is $240

The medical varies in Germany plan about $180

AOS $1070

You say he has no problem going back to Ghana but you also mention asylum. Could you explain the asylum situation more?

The fees were outlined upthread. Please note the word usage of petition and visa application...this is where people get tripped up and start sending more/less money for the I-129F submission.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Incorrect! The application fee is $340 dollars, the fee to be paid at the Embassy is $240 (used to be $350)

Not at all incorrect. The PETITION is $340. The VISA APPLICATION is $240. If you had bothered to read where I made this correction, you would have seen that it was valid.

Edited by ToddnJessa

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
10/10/12-NOA2 text

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received

04/12/14-Received GC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Not at all incorrect. The PETITION is $340. The VISA APPLICATION is $240. If you had bothered to read where I made this correction, you would have seen that it was valid.

Sorry Todd! I missed that!

Sorry Todd! I missed that!

No problem. :D I just want to keep the air clear as there is still much confusion over this even though we are coming up on two months since the change. :blush:

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
10/10/12-NOA2 text

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received

04/12/14-Received GC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.