Removed-02242014

Finances and Such ... Philippines

68 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I know this is a touchy subject for most and it is directly related to the petitioners income ... but I would be interested in if your Fiancee' is working and what you support her (on average) with financially. I see some Pinay come here in SoCal and just love all the name brand things and expensive accessories when most have come from less to do provinces.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm too poor...( to even live in Huntington Beach, but I do have a T-shirt from riding there )... and I told my fiancee that from the beginning. :whistle:

Edited by Hank_Amy

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

I know this is a touchy subject for most and it is directly related to the petitioners income ... but I would be interested in if your Fiancee' is working and what you support her (on average) with financially. I see some Pinay come here in SoCal and just love all the name brand things and expensive accessories when most have come from less to do provinces.

I don't send much. I send periodically to cover things sometimes, but even then, it really isn't much. Usually, it is due to the expenses that this journey is bringing on us. She works at a good job, lives with her father who works as well. They got along just fine without me and still do. I don't expect Jessa will care about brands when she gets here as she doesn't now. That is only one of many things I love about her. We are both simple in terms of living standards. Materialism is something we both agree not to spend so much time thinking about. She doesn't have much in terms of American middle class standards, but neither do I, really. Either way, she is a hard worker, and that makes me happy.

Edited by ToddnJessa

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

well, i would say that IF the fiancee earns enough to able to support herself when it comes to buying signatures or branded stuff when she gets to america, or let's say, lucky enough to have a very generous and loving fiance/husband who gives her anything that makes her happy without her even asking, then i don't think it's an issue. there's no question as to why she loves these things when even if she came from a less to do province like you said. we're not at all naive. lol i am from a small town in the province and i know about brand names and stuff, and when i get to america and work as a nurse, i can afford to buy expensive things for myself, too, and my fiance knows that. he's very supportive of me since day one. he earns good money, he can do whatever he wishes to do with it as long as family is still the first priority for both of us.:)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Filipino have colonial mentality and doesn't care about the quality as long its branded, as its more pleasing to the eyes of other Filipino.

And please don't get me wrong, but most of the Americans that can afford to be generous with their wife are in their 40's+ because they don't have so much mortgage, lower insurance, paid off cars and of course, been working for so long that the salary been high enough. But if you're between 25 and 35, you just bought a house/paying rent that goes up every term, higher insurance, car loan and of course you are starting in lower position, so your salary is enough to cover household expenses.

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

Filed: Timeline

The deal I made with the wife before she came here: If she wants to sent money home, she can get a job. She did, and she does. She also helps with the household expenses. I cover the groceries and all the rest of the bills. Every once in a while, she makes lambing, and wants me to buy something just for her. Usually it is inexpensive, so I give in after a little resistance.

Great topic and should be discussed in depth BEFORE any plans to marry. Financial issues

always ranks in the top reasons for divorce.

I think thorough discussions regarding yours, hers and ours,,, starting from yesterday, today

and extending through retirement are a good place to start.

btw,,, Wife is a Fulltime Registered Nurse here in Texas and I work for an International Computer

Company. Point being, we are not deciding between paying bills and helping extended family.

Regards,

dc

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

They buy it cause they can afford it and makes them happy. I consider myself a pretty practical person and most of the time will take practicality/functional over bling2x, but there are items that I'm willing to pay for the expensive brand.

Many people find happiness in many different ways!

Chinook is from the province. She now works as a registered nurse here in the U.S. She can afford to buy whatever she wants, but she's not really interested in designer items and name brands.

She's usually very thrifty. However, she bought us a seven-day cruise to Alaska. We're leaving tomorrow. Bon voyage! :D

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Chinook is from the province. She now works as a registered nurse here in the U.S. She can afford to buy whatever she wants, but she's not really interested in designer items and name brands.

She's usually very thrifty. However, she bought us a seven-day cruise to Alaska. We're leaving tomorrow. Bon voyage! :D

:thumbs: ...... All our travel plans cancelled this year.... something comes up.... Have fun!

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

:thumbs: ...... All our travel plans cancelled this year.... something comes up.... Have fun!

Thanks, batchmate! :)

Sorry to hear that your travel plans were cancelled. I hope you have the opportunity to see more of the U.S. next year. :thumbs:

Everybody is Different. I would advise discuss it in advance and agree and what is sustainable for both of you. Before my wife got here, we both agreed she could quit working. It allowed us to chat during non-working hours and it allowed her the freedom to spend more time with family and friends prior to her departure. .

We also agreed she would not work once she got here. Great arrangement for us, but may not work for all. She is not extravagant by any means, but she has her own money, and if she needs anything with reason she gets it.

well, i would say that IF the fiancee earns enough to able to support herself when it comes to buying signatures or branded stuff when she gets to america, or let's say, lucky enough to have a very generous and loving fiance/husband who gives her anything that makes her happy without her even asking, then i don't think it's an issue. there's no question as to why she loves these things when even if she came from a less to do province like you said. we're not at all naive. lol i am from a small town in the province and i know about brand names and stuff, and when i get to america and work as a nurse, i can afford to buy expensive things for myself, too, and my fiance knows that. he's very supportive of me since day one. he earns good money, he can do whatever he wishes to do with it as long as family is still the first priority for both of us.:)

I didn't think being generous and giving gifts to the significant other was being questioned. Who wouldn't want to do that for the one they love? I was thinking more along the lines of financial support. I guess I am lucky I don't have a very needy fiancee. Lucky for her because she only gets more from me, and we will both contribute to our needs when we are married. I agree that even girls from provincial areas aren't so naive to not know what the "hot" brands are, but I definitely think it is naive to think brand name anything is going bring happiness. That's just me though. I am thankful I have a woman that supports me in this belief. Being thrifty allows one to spend money on more important and/or useful things such as trips to see the family, but I guess a name on one thing is more important to some people than buying the exact same thing without the name at half the price. Que sera sera :yes:

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.