9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Good Afternoon all..

quick question if i was too supprise my finacee with getting married on the spur of the moment while im visiting her in pennsylvania can i legally get married ive seen so many things saying i need a SSN but im from the UK so i don't have one any idea's or suggestions please?

Regards

David

Filed: Timeline

You can get legally married at any time, coming to the US on a VWP or tourist visa with the intent to marry and AOS is Visa Fraud. Where are you now, in the UK or in the US?

Your info shows K-1, did you already apply for that Visa, if so you need to wait untill that gets approved.

Edited by Sirdaniel42

Timeline

Hi There:)

I am in the UK atm we have not started any method as of yet we are studying all options but the main question was can i marry in PA state without a SSN because everything ive seen says i need a marriage licence and the ID Requirements say i need an SSN number to apply for the Licence as im not a USC i don't have one my fiance does but not me?

Regards

David

You can get legally married at any time, coming to the US on a VWP or tourist visa with the intent to marry and AOS is Visa Fraud. Where are you now, in the UK or in the US?

Your info shows K-1, did you already apply for that Visa, if so you need to wait untill that gets approved.

Hi There:)

I am in the UK atm we have not started any method as of yet we are studying all options but the main question was can i marry in PA state without a SSN because everything ive seen says i need a marriage licence and the ID Requirements say i need an SSN number to apply for the Licence as im not a USC i don't have one my fiance does but not me?

Regards

David

My county's website said SSN too so I called and asked. I was told that if a person has a SSN, then they must provide it. But in the case of a foreign person, the passport would be sufficient. Make a call to the county where you will marry and ask the actual office who will issue your license. Or go to Vegas or another state if you have problems with PA. You don't have to marry in the state where she resides.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Contact the county where the license will be issued...

http://www.usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/pennsylvania/marriage_licenses/

For example Leigh County says...

Non-US citizens must produce their green card, passport, or birth certificate (translated to English), together with one other form of acceptable ID. Any non-US Citizen who possesses a Social Security card must present the card at time of application.

Which is probably the case for the whole State, but double check by contacting the county.

Edited by BobCray

Timeline

I have my passport but i don't have a social security number this is so confussing me now lol

Regards

David

Contact the county where the license will be issued...

http://www.usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/pennsylvania/marriage_licenses/

For example Leigh County says...

Non-US citizens must produce their green card, passport, or birth certificate (translated to English), together with one other form of acceptable ID. Any non-US Citizen who possesses a Social Security card must present the card at time of application.

Which is probably the case for the whole State, but double check by contacting the county.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Having a SSN to get your marriage license depends on your state. Your can check your local County Clerk Office website to get accurate requirements for your state.

You also might want to consider the fact that if your K1 is pending and you marry during the process, you abandon your petition and will need to start over with a spouse visa. It's another year in limbo, will have to file more paperwork, pay more fees and wait for about another year for it to be processed. Not sure what are your circumstances are but it would really be simpler for both of you to wait for your K1 to be issued, activate it, then get married.

Good luck!

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Good Afternoon all..

quick question if i was too supprise my finacee with getting married on the spur of the moment while im visiting her in pennsylvania can i legally get married ive seen so many things saying i need a SSN but im from the UK so i don't have one any idea's or suggestions please?

Regards

David

First to answer your question... yes you can marry without a license. You just need to check online with the county's requirement. For the most part, your passport is all that will be required of you.

Lastly and most importantly, it already seems like you have the intent to apply for AOS once you are married here, now that's doable but just like someone said earlier... it will be looked on as visa fraud because of your intent. Now we here are not one to tell you what to do and what not, but in the long run, the burden to prove that you didn't have the intent would be on you when you do apply for AOS here after marriage. Which from all indication, that seems like what you intend to do.

Good luck!

3/21/2012 (Day 0) - I-130, I-485 and I-765 sent.

3/23/2012 (Day 1) - Delivered to USCIS.

3/27/2012 (Day 5) - E-Notification that paperwork received.

3/28/2012 (Day 6) - One check for $1,490 cashed & cleared for I-130 and I-485.

4/02/2012 (Day 11) - NOA hard copies received (x3), case status available online & bio appt. also received, dated 04/12 @ 8:00 AM.

4/10/2012 (Day 19) - Case status online says changed to RFE received.

4/12/2012 (Day 21) - Successful biometric done.

5/11/2012 (Day 50) - Complete RFE (I-864) received. Case status online changed to RFE received.

5/16/2012 (Day 55) - Online case status says: Card/ Document Production.

5/21/2012 (Day 60) - Online case status says: Card picked up by USPS.

5/24/2012 (Day 63) - EAD card in hand.

6/12/2012 (Day 82) - Testing and Interview.

7/12/2012 (Day 112) - Interview date!

7/12/2012 (Day 112) - Approved.

I have my passport but i don't have a social security number this is so confussing me now lol

Regards

David

Well Leigh County states you don't need one but if you have one you have to present it.

Again, contact the county offices (list in the link) where you intend to marry and get the definitive answer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.