Wishing-Waiting

K1 Fiance Visa POE Vancouver airport

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The Topic Title and Description is my question. Can I fly out of Vancouver, Canada, as a "visitor" and have my K1 Visa activated once I reach my USA destination in Anchorage, Alaska ??

Background: I have been told that Vancouver is a "pre-clearance" airport for USA. I am travelling with daughter, lots of luggage and medium sized pet. We fly from Kelowna to Vancouver on one airline. Everything needs to be transferred to another airline. I was told I must see to the transfer of my pet out of the main Vancouver terminal to Air Canada cargo as after June 20th Air Canada does not assist with pet travel. I pay $450 instead of $100 and have to do all the work myself, while leaving my daughter and luggage at airport. Completely reasonable, right ?

I gave myself 4 hours between arrival from Kelowna and departure to Anchorage, and now feel that with extra screening and handling by US Border peeps, I may not have enough time ...

hence, does anyone know if my scenario is possible ?

thanks !

No because the flight from Vancouver to Alaska will be as if it is"domestic" and not pass through any CPB screening, because all the passengers are screened before the plane.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Unfortunately no. If you are using the K-1 visa it has to be at what is considered the first POE - in this case, it is the pre-clearane US Immigrations at the airport.

It does sound like a handful. Perhaps you can request assistance at the Air Canada office at the airport and ask them if you can leave your luggage and daughter there while you take care of your pet. Then, if there is a delay and you miss the flight because of having no assistance with the pet, they may be able to make arrangements to get you on the next flight. If your pet ends up going out on the plane you missed, provide AC with your fiance's name and contact information and see if he can collect the pet.

Alternatively, talk with AC and see if they will be able to find someone to help. Don't talk to a ticket agent, see if you can find someone in public relations.

Hopefully, the time you have available will be sufficient to process you through US immigrations. Be sure to let them know that your flight leaves at xxx time and that you had to arrange to deliver your pet personally to AC Cargo and it took up a lot more time than anticipated.

Good luck.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.