gretchen_darren

collectors

53 posts in this topic

I lived in Germany a long time, and plenty of people collect things there, from motorcycles to music, stamps, guns... I had a German friend in the German army whose father was a Hitler Juengen (Hitler Youth) and he collected music from that era which meant something sentimental to him. My wife's aunt was a Mother Superior at a convent and she collected books, which meant a great deal to her. I imagine at any place in the world a person will collect what they can, whether of monetary value or sentimental value. I dont think you can stereotype people. People are just people and they are all unique, but still people. I am American, but I collect nothing unless it is of sentimental value... (which actually i basically most things to me...hehe).

Edited by Brijo

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The problem is that you married a 19 year old girl.

it is not her.... it is other Filipinas in the "family"... they are older then me.....

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

what we are talking about is those mid-west collectors.... those who you walk into a house and one whole room is nothing but a vast collection of something.... or they have sheds out back of just stuff collected over the years.... or explaining yankee "thrift" versus "hoarding" (they are almost identical, but not quite)

The problem is not me or my collections (which are in the garage aka the man cave) but those which are seen on TV in the midwest or northeast. They frequently show places which are "extreme" collections.... aka the Imelda marcos shoe collection.... (but don't dare talk bad about the marcos family to a filipino... let them do it if they want to.... Kanos must avoid the Marcos topic.)

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

It's easy to understand.

Darren simply is obsessed with hearing himself talk, even if he's talking nonsense.

:thumbs: :thumbs:

what we are talking about is those mid-west collectors.... those who you walk into a house and one whole room is nothing but a vast collection of something.... or they have sheds out back of just stuff collected over the years.... or explaining yankee "thrift" versus "hoarding" (they are almost identical, but not quite)

The problem is not me or my collections (which are in the garage aka the man cave) but those which are seen on TV in the midwest or northeast. They frequently show places which are "extreme" collections.... aka the Imelda marcos shoe collection.... (but don't dare talk bad about the marcos family to a filipino... let them do it if they want to.... Kanos must avoid the Marcos topic.)

Really? What egg shell you pop out of? Heck the topic was brought up while chatting at times by some... of course its never nice comments, but they do talk of that era.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Well, there is one thing I can relate to.... My mom once made a comment about Imelda Marcos shoes, and my wife really took offense to that and spoke out very defensively. I was sort of surprised. I learned it is one subject I will never bring up to my wife after watching that short and aggressive exchange.

don't dare talk bad about the marcos family to a filipino... let them do it if they want to.... Kanos must avoid the Marcos topic.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

so , really, all of 'this' is 'family questions' from 'family' not in your own household.

I say ignore for now. Yer wife can do the research, instead, leaving you out of the loop. IMO, these two questions on bluegrass and collecting were a 'set up', someone (in the family) wanted to waste yer time with these two questions.

Have yer lass handle all cultural interrogatives in the future, as it is a great way for HER to learn. You don't have the time, alas.

Good Luck!

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

:ot2: they may collect money... but don't see much out of it.... they spend what they collect..... :blink:

in collections, I am referring more to those things which make no sense... toys, model trains, beer bottles, wine, magazines....

No please don't say it like that. Try to learn to express a bit better. Maybe you like to say "that it makes no sense to you." But for those collectors is is a big thing.

Now if you are in to this: I wonder why some people from the Philippines spent so much money on celebrating? that makes no sense to me. It is the same thing. They always have some kind of community events. *oopss sorry* I was trying to sound like you.

Timeline

No please don't say it like that. Try to learn to express a bit better. Maybe you like to say "that it makes no sense to you." But for those collectors is is a big thing.

Now if you are in to this: I wonder why some people from the Philippines spent so much money on celebrating? that makes no sense to me. It is the same thing. They always have some kind of community events. *oopss sorry* I was trying to sound like you.

Good try...but that's not even the same thing. The singing, dancing, games, etc. in community events is something that you don't have to learn to enjoy. Even infants will bob their heads to music and smile upon hearing laughter. Whereas, joy from collecting is something you must be introduced to and told or observe to be "fun". Most people aren't going to have an immediate and natural feel-good reaction to art collections, model trains, coins, trading cards, or whatever else people collect.

Not to seem like I'm defending him, but the animous you all are displaying is referred to as "intergroup bias". Just because the guy is a member of the "out-group" doesn't mean his opinions aren't valid. And to keep on badgering him over his wife's age serves no purpose except to make people feel better about their own shortcomings. Or do you really think people aren't looking at each and every one of us and making generalizations too, most of which cannot be argued?

As one person posted: "Just relax, live life and be happy."

02-27-2013 I-129F Packet Sent
03-03-2013 I-129F Packet Delivery
03-04-2013 NOA1 (text/email)
03-08-2013 A Number Changed
03-09-2013 Received NOA1 hardcopy
06-13-2013 Approved in 99 Days!
06-15-2013 Received NOA2 hardcopy
06-28-2013 Received MNL Case Number
07-08-2013 Manila Embassy Interview scheduled
07-22-2013 SLMEC Medical Exam Day 1
07-23-2013 SLMEC Medical Exam Day 2 - Passed!
08-31-2013 Arrived in Manila
09-02-2013 CFO - PASSED
09-03-2013 Manila Embassy Interview - APPROVED
09-05-2013 Visa Issued
09-09-2013 Visa ready for pick up at SM MOA
09-18-2013 Picked up passport and got CFO sticker

09-22-2013 Departed from Manila
10-04-2013 Fiancee departs for U.S.

Good try...but that's not even the same thing. The singing, dancing, games, etc. in community events is something that you don't have to learn to enjoy. Even infants will bob their heads to music and smile upon hearing laughter. Whereas, joy from collecting is something you must be introduced to and told or observe to be "fun". Most people aren't going to have an immediate and natural feel-good reaction to art collections, model trains, coins, trading cards, or whatever else people collect.

Not to seem like I'm defending him, but the animous you all are displaying is referred to as "intergroup bias". Just because the guy is a member of the "out-group" doesn't mean his opinions aren't valid. And to keep on badgering him over his wife's age serves no purpose except to make people feel better about their own shortcomings. Or do you really think people aren't looking at each and every one of us and making generalizations too, most of which cannot be argued?

As one person posted: "Just relax, live life and be happy."

Hey, I'm the one who said that last part!! :thumbs:

Just to clarify, I've never badgered him about his wife's age. Maybe I've badgered him about constantly mentioning things like cultural differences but not his wife's age. Whether a person's spouse is 19 or 99 is irrelevant; it's about whether you treat the spouse with respect or not.

And I would comment on the whole "intergroup bias" thing but you're using big words and I got confused. :wacko:

OK, maybe I've badgered him about the boat too.

And I guess I badgered him about sharing so much personal information ( wife's breast size and menstrual cycle come to mind ).

And I'm sure there was some badgering about mentioning tribal customs but come on, that was too easy.

But other than that, there's been no badgering from me. :no:

And I would comment on the whole "intergroup bias" thing but you're using big words and I got confused. :wacko:

In-group–out-group bias, also called intergroup bias, refers to the phenomenon of in-group favoritism, a preference and affinity for one’s in-group over the out-group, or anyone viewed as outside the in-group.

It seems (to me)..Daroq is making assumptions based on limited data and obviously no research (other than the few recent "Darren" threads). He assumes responses (to Darren) are corrupted and driven by "intergroup bias". :bonk:

Perhaps Daroq has turned a leaf. :whistle: I remember him being quite the antagonist (prior to, if memory serves me right, a long term site suspension for encouraging another member to violent retribution). It appears he has spent his sabbatical finding his better self. :innocent:

Give him some time. He will find that Darren is capable of pissing off VJ's one at a time. :)

Edited by Crashed~N2~Me

Timeline

The problem is that you married a 19 year old girl.

36 years old is significant, because at 36 you can sleep with someone half your age and not go to jail. :devil:

27 January 2012: Mailed I-129F

03 February 2012: NOA1( e-mail & Text)

03 February 2012: Check Cashed

NO RFE'S

22 June 2012 : NOA2 (e-mail & Text)

16 July 2012: Manila Case Number(by phone)

17 July 2012: Interview paid at BPI

19 July 2012: Set interview for Mid-Aug

23-24 July 2012: Medical St. Lukes(passed)

24 July 2012: CFO Seminar(had to go next morning for landline #)- PASSED

02 Aug 2012: Received e-mail from USEM our case is there.

15 Aug 2012: Interview at USEM - APPROVED

13 SEP 2012: POE Minneapolis, MN

27 OCT 2012: Married

19 NOV 2012: AOS package sent

05 DEC 2012: NOA's I-765, I-131, I-485

14 DEC 2012: Biometrics appointment finished(Walk-in..Was scheduled Jan 04 2013)

02 FEB 2013: I-131 and I-765 Approved

07 FEB 2013: USPS Picked up the combo-card

11 FEB 2013: Received Combo-card

21 FEB 2013: Transit Visa picked up in Chicago for Japan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.