gretchen_darren

collectors

53 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

sunadnmoon... thanks.... that helps.... I am trying to find the ways, the means, the reasons to explain it to someone who has never seen it, experienced it, or even understands it.....

each of us has family over in the philippines (filipinas (or Republika ng Pilipinas) if you look at the passport) and each of us has sent money to support family over there. Was this a "collection" I find it hard to define it as such. For asawa ko it is easy to explain such as a collection of purses, or a collections of liquor bottles her dad has from when I took them over to him. But how to explain to Filipina who has been in America for 10 years...Some only see the practical side of things... if it ain't useful, I don't need it. How do you explain a "hoarder" versus a "collector" sometimes a collector borders on a hoarder... These are things I am having to think about and answer.... I am looking at all sides of the argument, listening to the argument and how to answer in a way that helps understand....

Filipinas (en filipino: Pilipinas; en inglés: Philippines), oficialmente conocida como la República de Filipinas (en filipino: Repúblika ng Pilipinas; en inglés: Republic of the Philippines)

which one????

I think the difference is: asawa ko WANTS to be an American, but is adjusting to some things she was never exposed. Then there are some "family" members who want to be IN America, but continue to live the Filipino culture. American culture cherishes diversity, but at the same time limits the diversity... when diversity itself causes the mass to take notice to either accept, adopt, ignore, or squash the diversity of a minor group. I am tring to explain the "backwoods" redneck, hillbilly, country culture of America, which is the deep rooted seeds of the community. But is also not completely just one part of America. Collectors are in part those who collect valuable things.... But how do you explain those who are "country collectors"... teddy bears, flags, beer bottle caps? These things asawa ko understands.... but some Filipinos and Filipinas do not understand....

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

How do you explain a "hoarder" versus a "collector" sometimes a collector borders on a hoarder...

hoarder, just have Gretchen watch this show...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVg-_e-jPO4&feature=relmfu

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Click "Translate" (top right corner) to get your answer Einstein. :bonk:

Edited by Crashed~N2~Me

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

:ot2: they may collect money... but don't see much out of it.... they spend what they collect..... :blink:

in collections, I am referring more to those things which make no sense... toys, model trains, beer bottles, wine, magazines.... etc.... sometimes collecting is meant as an investment, provided it is something "worth" collecting.... but then again, you never know what is worth anything... like hubcaps or old cars..... just trying to see hwo to explain to someone who has never seen it or been raised around it, how to understand it....how do you explain something which you grew up around and just accept it????

there are other websites that focus specifically on collections, collectibles, the hobby of collecting, collecting as a financial instrument for retirement, etc.

When you have time, you might want to use some google-fu, and find those sites.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline
These are things I am having to think about and answer.... I am looking at all sides of the argument, listening to the argument and how to answer in a way that helps understand....

Do you have a colletion of something that is 'taking up needed space', in her opinion?

If that's the case, simply go rent storage somewhere, move yer collection of stuff to storage, and call it a day. Not need to try to explain it, just remove it from the house.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Do you have a colletion of something that is 'taking up needed space', in her opinion?

If that's the case, simply go rent storage somewhere, move yer collection of stuff to storage, and call it a day. Not need to try to explain it, just remove it from the house.

Gretchen, there are a couple of ways to deal with his collections...

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Timeline

ok, ran into a new question

from who/m? knowing that, helps others to put the answer into a 'more clear' context,

as

contextually, I be mondo lost.

Darren,

It's interesting that your wife doesn't know about collecting things. Every Filipino's house I've ever been to has a collection of some sort on display. Sometimes the collections are in a glass case and consist of relatively expensive items considering the owners income level. Other times the items are displayed in the open and are relatively less expensive. I'm speaking of every Filipino's house that I've been in wether it was in The Philippines or the USA. The collections ranged from cast metal to plastic toys and from stuffed animals to whisky bottles. Even the simplest bahay kubo had a collection of hand made items and sea shells.

Maybe your wife just doesn't understand your particular collection and there is a slight communication problem.

+1

I know Nanay has a collection of small ceramic figurines. I know this because I consistently bumped the shelf causing half of them to fall over.

I definitely don't see how "collecting" is such a hard concept to understand.

I definitely don't see how "collecting" is such a hard concept to understand.

It's easy to understand.

Darren simply is obsessed with hearing himself talk, even if he's talking nonsense.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.