Ross_s

Tourist Visa Declined, confused and deflated!

148 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I love the condescending responses from so many people on this site. Mr Canada and Noah..why can a bartender not afford a 6 Month Trip? Why would you blast him in such a way? I had a friend from GB that came all the time for a 6 month stay over the last 10 years. He lived at home and saved money for that purpose. $7,000 was more than enough as he only helped us with food. Get off your horse and just be nice! Sounds to me you just think he is a lying. Nice help you offered.. Maybe we should focus on answering the guys question and not be a butt about it.

Because in the real world, on planet Earth, no one can survive for six months with just seven grand...(without resorting to unauthorized employment)...no one has friends who will foot the bill for the OP's 24/7 entertainment, food, lodging just because he is such a wonderful friend....and a bartending job is completely portable, requires zero college degree, and it is highly doubtful that the owner of said bar is going to leave his job open during his absence...bartenders are a dime a dozen...

So not only is the op lying to us, he was attempting to commit fraud to enter the US. Yup, I really wish I was more sympathetic to him. :bonk:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi there, looking for any guidance or info you guys are able to offer me with regards to my current situation...

So I'm a Scottish, British national with no criminal record who visits the US frequently using the Visa waiver program with no issue whatsoever previously I stayed the maximum allocated time and left when instructed to. My ESTA from my previous trip is still valid until September this year.

Anyway I have been planning another trip to New Orleans to live with friends for a few month much the same as before but I found it to be within my budget to if possible stay longer than 90 days as my understanding of the ESTA program is that you cannot extend the allotted time of your stay I was advised to apply for a B-2 visa.

So I was at the Belfast Consulate today for my "interview" which lasted 2 minutes maximum I was asked five questions and declined!

Q: Why do you want to visit the USA for 6 months? A: I'm unsure if the intention is to visit for 6 months, certainly 90 days and maybe a little longer if financially pheasable!

Q:What is your current job in the UK A: bartender

Q:How do you propose to leave your employment for an extended period? A: employer is also a close friend and has granted this sabbatical!

Q: Marital status? A:Single by law, although in a relationship

Q:how much funds do you have? A: $7000

I was then told the following "this is a catch 22 situation, you do not have a job that I am convinced you would feel compelled to rush back to its something you could pick up in New Orleans so I'm afraid I am declining you!"

I was handed a piece of paper and asked to leave, I attempted to further question her she very rudely explained she would not be answering questions as she has her next interview to see!

I said can you please just explain to me how I am supposed to take a vacation in the US now? She responded "with difficulty, you may get in, you may not its down to the port authority goodbye!"

I left feeling dejected and disgusted! I was offered no opportunity to elaborate on my personal situation or to explain any ties that compell me to return to the UK! I was the first interview of the day, I can only assume the woman has not had a nice morning and I get her wrath I even smiled at her as I entered the room to which I received a cold scowl!

I'm still reeling from this and fee physically sick as it just appears that this woman has destroyed my ability to visit the US in the manner I have been!

Can anyone share any similar stories or offer insight into where I go from here?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Your frequent trips and now wanting authorization to possibly stay longer is the issue. Every person applying for a visa is assumed to have immigrant intent. (That is how USCIS approaches all applicants). Your frequent trips along with a career that would easily allow you to stay and work out of status is what did you in. You don't seem to have strong ties to your home country based on your US travel record.

Given the realities of the economy, the US workforce does not need greater numbers. Given the political realities, extra scrutiny is the norm.

Also, your prior post about wanting to come and work any way possible makes your "vacation ruined" story tough to take seriously.

You're likely going to have to wait a year or so and then apply for a visitor visa.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

You are obviously not European or a backpacker. Some companies in Europe give employees unpaid sabbaticals for months. Some even allow them to take an advance on their vacation. Backpackers live on little money for a long period of time. Backpackers learn to budget money carefully, take public transport, eat cheap food, and avoid expensive items. Staying with friends cuts down on expenses. If you have lodging for 6 months, then USD $7,000 is more than enough.

Thats reason when most backpacker apply for visa they fail the first and foremost test... proof of strong ties to the home country.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

to be fair, $7000 will get your pretty damn far in new orleans!

i for one am sorry to hear about this, ross. i hate when people are punished for doing things the right way - if you wanted to sneak in and get a barjob and stay (not hard in nola), you could just do that by overstaying on VWP - but you tried to follow the law.

it's kind of a recurring theme with american immigration, causing endless frustration to those who are just trying to be honest....

* exclaimer: i started typing this before comments were added showing previous post by OP!

Edited by kittylondon

K1

10 Jan 2012: I-129F package sent

14 June 2012: NOA2

11 July 2012: Medical

30 July 2012: Interview at London Embassy (Approved!)

13 Aug 2012: Visa Received

1 Sept 2012: POE (Atlanta)

15 Sept 2012: Wedding in New Orleans

AOS

16 Nov 2012: NOA Receipt Date

20 Dec 2012: Biometrics Appointment

16 Jan 2013: EAD & AP approved

25 Jan 2013: EAD & AP Card received

Timeline

Good catch Pauli....

Guys lately it seems on VJ all we have to do is take the face value of OP and have to be feeling sorry for them is the trend.

When other members post the OP can have ulterior motive the members are bashed by the other folk on VJ saying how did you dare to judged OP?

Here is an excellent example.

Edited by Harsh_77

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I did not accuse anyone of fraud; I merely pointed out the numerous holes in his story, along with the unrealistic nature of his request....however, if you think differently, tell us...when was the last time YOU got a six month vacation? When was the last time YOU managed to survive for 3 months on $3000? Now I'm guessing that the answers to those two questions will be (a) never and (b) never....but we are supposed to believe that some bartender can take off for half a year, keep his job, survive in the US paying for food, entertainment and shelter with $7000 and not work in the US (perhaps as a bartender, to repay his friends for all of their hospitality!) and then, the barowner back in his country will fire his substitute and rehire him? Really? If you think all of this sounds perfectly normal, I would love to sell you a used car.

Who said he was paying for shelter? He said he was going to go live with friends. Shelter is most likely free. Since he goes to the US so often, he probably wont be doing too much tourist-y things. My husband spends about $200 a month on food. Less some months. $1000/month is totally doable if not paying for shelter.

HUSBAND'S CASE

9/17/2011 - sent I-13

09/19/2011 - noa1 received

3/16/2012 - case sent to my local USCIS office for additional processing

4/21/2012 - AP. If we haven't heard from them in SIX MONTHS (omg) we can feel free to call them!!! Thanks!

9/20/2012 - Interview scheduled - October 3!!!!

10/3/2012 - Interview went well but she must look at his A-file more before decision.

10/12/2012 - I-130 APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

KIDS' CASES

04/20/2012: NOA107/20/2012: instead of an approval, we got thrown into AP. sigh

11/01/2012: Boys' I-130 interview set for November 28, 2012.

11/28/2012: I-130s APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

NVC

12/14/2012: NVC Received

12/31/2012: Case number/IIN

12/31/2012: DS-3032 sent

01/08/2013: DS-3032 accepted

01/02/2013: AOS bill0

1/03/2013: AOS bill shows PAID

01/04/2013: AOS package sent

01/09/2013: IV bill

01/10/2013: IV bill shows PAID

01/11/2013: IV package sent

01/23/2013: Case complete

02/01/2013: Interview scheduled

US Embassy Lagos

02/22/2013: Embassy received

03/01/2013: Medical

03/20/2013: Interview - was told the boys would have been approved on the spot if they had pics! Errrr :-(

04/15/2013: DNA test

05/15/2013: Emailed embassy BEGGING them to let boys drop off passports for visa insertion. IT WORKED!!!

05/31/2013: Visa in hand

06/02/2013: POE JFK!!!!!!

5spxll0m6aa.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

Guys lately it seems on VJ all we have to do is take the face value of OP and have to be feeling sorry for them is the trend.

When other members post the OP can have ulterior motive the members are bashed by the other folk on VJ saying how did you dare to judged OP?

Wow. Paranoid, much?

“The minute I heard my first love story I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was.
Lovers don't finally meet somewhere.
They're in each other all along.”

Jalal ad-Din Rumi

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

And you obviously have no clue about our immigration laws....the OP did not claim he was staying in a tent, eating wild mushrooms...no one....I repeat for the intellectually impaired, no one gets a 6 month paid vacation and no one can realistically survive without working illegally, for 6 months in the US with seven grand.....it is not possible unless you camped out and raided trash cans.

Then backpack in Europe.

I don't know anything about tourist visas having only used the VWP, but from what I'm reading here it seems there was legitimate reasons to deny. But I have to disagree with how implausible you find the OP's story. I was in Chicago, hardly the cheapest place in the US, for 89 days under VWP last year. Went with about $2600 saved up, racked up another $1000 or so on my visa. Stayed with my girlfriend, now fiancée. We definitely don't have the cheapest tastes when it comes to eating out/drinking etc so could definitely have made that money go a lot further if we were sticking to a budget. As a previous poster said, if you're not paying for accommodation $7000 would go a long way.

I don't believe the OP ever said he was getting a 6 month paid vacation, merely that his boss would still have a job for him when he got back. This is totally believable to me having been in a similar situation. He also didn't intend to stay for a full 6 months, just as long as his money would last.

With all that said I think its clear the OP didn't prepare properly for the stringency of the visa process. Hopefully he can still enter under the VWP and enjoy is vacation. Wish I could do the same again now!

Aug 20, 2011 - J turns 29 and we start our journey! I-129f in the mail!

Aug 22, 2011 - Package was delivered at 11:04 am on August 22, 2011 in DALLAS, TX 75222

Aug 26, 2011 - NOA1 e-confirmation.

Aug 29, 2011 - NOA1 hard copy.

Jan 20, 2012 - NOA2

---> NVC---->

Feb 06, 2012 - At Consulate in Dublin.

Forwarded to Brussels

Feb 23, 2012 - At Consulate in Brussels.

Feb 27, 2012 - Received Packet 3.

Timeline

Wow. Paranoid, much?

I am not paranoid….. I am just tired when I question OP’s motive most ppl on VJ seem its not nice.

Not just this post but in other ones too other VJ members start attacking back why cannot you take OP account at face value.

Unfortunately that’s not the case all the time and nor the consulates and CO’s work that way.

Also MODs have taken that approach that all the OP’s are telling truth and complete story.

I get annoyed when ppl are looking to break the rules or come here and are looking for free healthcare and I believe I have right to be annoyed when my (tax payer) money is used in wrong way.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You had zero chance of obtaining a B2.

So now update ESTA and see what happens. And let us know.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.