Ross_s

Tourist Visa Declined, confused and deflated!

148 posts in this topic

I believe ESTA is good for up to two years and can be re-used, but I'm not sure if you voided your ESTA by trying to get a B-2. Maybe someone else here will know the answer.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

This is the kind of story that makes me mad, we here in Florida advertise come to Florida for your Vacation, and then a Bureaucrat tell the person, I know you are not going back, no visitor’s visa for you. But all the people coming across the Mexican border can stay without paperwork. It seems the old saying fits, countries and people that want to be friends with the U.S.A. the U.S.A. does not want to be friends with them, and all the people that don’t want to be friends with the U.S.A. the U.S.A. wants to be friends with.

Before you cry sour grapes go to another thread in this same forum and read where someone entered on B1/2 who had immediate USC relative and now wants to do AOS while in US.

Ppl don’t understand cases like this make it more difficult for ppl to get tourist visa or any other visa.

Timeline

I believe ESTA is good for up to two years and can be re-used, but I'm not sure if you voided your ESTA by trying to get a B-2. Maybe someone else here will know the answer.

Old ESTA cannot be used after declined VISA… I believe ESTA has a question if your VISA was ever declined and that has changed now.

Which means applicant will have to do a new ESTA…..from what I have heard is one can wait for 4-5 months and try ESTA and it might get approved.

Filed: Timeline

That poster just accuses everyone of fraud. I would ignore it.

Sorry that happened to you. I think the officer explained his/her reasons well, so even if you disagree, at least you know why. Hopefully the ESTA will be approved when you reapply and you can go for 90 days. A person has to have a really good reason why they need 6 months instead of 3 months. Good luck.

Edit for above: The OP said he didn't want to go for 6 months, just longer than 3. I think $7K is a fine amount.

Gong forward, I would redo ESTA and hope for approval.

I did not accuse anyone of fraud; I merely pointed out the numerous holes in his story, along with the unrealistic nature of his request....however, if you think differently, tell us...when was the last time YOU got a six month vacation? When was the last time YOU managed to survive for 3 months on $3000? Now I'm guessing that the answers to those two questions will be (a) never and (b) never....but we are supposed to believe that some bartender can take off for half a year, keep his job, survive in the US paying for food, entertainment and shelter with $7000 and not work in the US (perhaps as a bartender, to repay his friends for all of their hospitality!) and then, the barowner back in his country will fire his substitute and rehire him? Really? If you think all of this sounds perfectly normal, I would love to sell you a used car.

Edited by Noah Lot

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

Probably too late now, but it's never a good idea if you are from a US visa waiver country to try to apply for a tourist visa, even if you want to stay longer. The US's goal is to keep people out. The US doesn't have a vacation culture and they don't want anybody to enjoy life.

Unfortunately this is very true. Sorry this happened to you. The US is a very scared and paranoid country right now. Which is unfortunate.

“The minute I heard my first love story I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was.
Lovers don't finally meet somewhere.
They're in each other all along.”

Jalal ad-Din Rumi

It's amazing that my vacation has been trashed by just merely doing the right thing and telling the truth and following protocol!

It's not a right to be given a visa for tourist purposes. In fact, for most people, it's very difficult. You did the right thing by telling the truth (if you ever get caught lying for visa purposes, you'd see any even nastier side of the U.S. government), but you were denied. It happens, frequently, all around the world. Re-apply if you'd still like to try that vacation. :)

______________________________________________________________________________________________

12/9/11 - Sent I-130 packet

12/12/11 - I-130 delivered

12/14/11 - G-1145 notification

12/15/11 - NOA1

I love the condescending responses from so many people on this site. Mr Canada and Noah..why can a bartender not afford a 6 Month Trip? Why would you blast him in such a way? I had a friend from GB that came all the time for a 6 month stay over the last 10 years. He lived at home and saved money for that purpose. $7,000 was more than enough as he only helped us with food. Get off your horse and just be nice! Sounds to me you just think he is a lying. Nice help you offered.. Maybe we should focus on answering the guys question and not be a butt about it.

The op's original story is unrealistic and very hard to believe, evidently the customs officer thought so too. Your friend who stayed with you from GB is irrelevant. I believe all of the op's questions were answered. Nothing I said was condescending, I simply gave my opinion of why he was denied entry, I never once insulted the op. Sorry my demeanor was not "nice" enough for you, I'll be sure to change that in the future. :rofl:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Wales
Timeline

Moving forward OP, you need to reapply for an ESTA. It is possible you will be denied for this.

If approved at ESTA, you may be denied at point of entry in the USA. Firm travel plans are a must, and so are strong ties to home. Unfortunately a job like bartending is unlikely to show the border control officer that you would be in a rush to come home. If you go, take evidence. Job, yes. A written letter from them would also be helpful. Proof of any academic ties like university placements, and fixed outgoings. Financial commitments can play a role as well. The border officer will be able to see your denial, and is likely to ask you for additional processing because of it.

Be prepared, but best of luck.

Timeline

I love the condescending responses from so many people on this site. Mr Canada and Noah..why can a bartender not afford a 6 Month Trip? Why would you blast him in such a way? I had a friend from GB that came all the time for a 6 month stay over the last 10 years. He lived at home and saved money for that purpose. $7,000 was more than enough as he only helped us with food. Get off your horse and just be nice! Sounds to me you just think he is a lying. Nice help you offered.. Maybe we should focus on answering the guys question and not be a butt about it.

I don’t know where you are coming from…. Are we here to feel sorry for everyone who could not get the visa and console them or if someone needs help or understand the laws and regulation to help them understand that?

The stuff OP presented were leaning more towards he would find some employment and might never return back.

Red Flags:

VWP country – for tourism purpose visa not required (3 months not enough time for vacation?)

Occupation - Bartender (easy to find work under the table and work in US)

Marital Status – Single (OP did not post the age m assuming is young)

Employment status – is basically quitting the job

What are the strong ties? What are the reason why he would finish his vacation and return back in 5 months… he mentioned he did not need 6 months but need more than 3 months…. What is something so special that requires more than 3 months?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

My intention is not to pass judgment on your situation but frequent long visits and request to stay even longer tends to make one look like they have a real interest in spending a lot of time in the US, or as a VO might say "an immigrant".

In your original post you mentioned that you will live, or have lived with friends, It may seem like semantics but living in the US on a tourist visa is not allowed; visiting is.

Don't get down on yourself it's not a personal attack, VO's are a tough lot with a tough job.

Filed: Timeline

You are obviously not European or a backpacker. Some companies in Europe give employees unpaid sabbaticals for months. Some even allow them to take an advance on their vacation. Backpackers live on little money for a long period of time. Backpackers learn to budget money carefully, take public transport, eat cheap food, and avoid expensive items. Staying with friends cuts down on expenses. If you have lodging for 6 months, then USD $7,000 is more than enough.

And you obviously have no clue about our immigration laws....the OP did not claim he was staying in a tent, eating wild mushrooms...no one....I repeat for the intellectually impaired, no one gets a 6 month paid vacation and no one can realistically survive without working illegally, for 6 months in the US with seven grand.....it is not possible unless you camped out and raided trash cans.

You are obviously not European or a backpacker. Some companies in Europe give employees unpaid sabbaticals for months. Some even allow them to take an advance on their vacation. Backpackers live on little money for a long period of time. Backpackers learn to budget money carefully, take public transport, eat cheap food, and avoid expensive items. Staying with friends cuts down on expenses. If you have lodging for 6 months, then USD $7,000 is more than enough.

Then backpack in Europe.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.