gretchen_darren

food likes and hates

99 posts in this topic

... ya but would it be Darren if he didn't put a spin to it....

:hehe: ....no.

Methinks he sometimes practices his pitch on VJ before he presents it to his wife. :whistle:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Actually, our OB/GYN (who is Filipina) brought the diabetes thing up. This is PREGNANT Diabetes aka gestational diabetes not diabetes type I (children) or diabetes type II (adult).

asian journal

fox news

bab center ph

mainly discussing food.... what Food in America do you find your filipina (filipino) likes? What do they not like? What items are they on the border over? Have you found them not liking any Filipino dishes after a while? These are what I am curious about.... the fact she is pregnant adds to the question of food likes and dislikes. What did your Filipina wife avoid during pregnancy, then return to after the baby was born?

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

(Image provided by)

ethnicityofhawaii.jpg

From the article you linked...,

"Filipinos and Koreans had the highest prevalence of GDM (gestational diabetes mellitus)," the Kaiser Permanente study, which appeared in the December issue of Ethnicity and Disease, stated.

While the study did not include the reasons or causes of GDM prevalence, its lead author said, "it has important implications for diagnosis and treatment of gestational diabetes."

"All pregnant women and their caregivers need to be educated about gestational diabetes, but it is especially important for women in these ethnic groups at higher risk." Kathryn Pedula, who is a researcher at the Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research, said.

........The Kaiser Permanente study was funded by the American Diabetes Foundation. Authors of the study chose Hawaii because it "has one of the most ethnically diverse populations in the world."

I decided to take a look at Kaiser Permanente website. I found the "original" article.

(a bit odd :unsure: )..The title is worded a bit differently...,

Korean-American & Chinese-American Women at Highest Risk for Developing Diabetes During Pregnancy

December 11 2009 (Portland, Ore.) – More than 10 percent of women of Chinese and Korean heritage may be at risk for developing diabetes during pregnancy, according to a Kaiser Permanente study of 16,000 women in Hawaii that appears in the December issue of the Ethnicity and Disease journal. The study also found that Korean-American and Chinese-American women's gestational diabetes risk is one-third higher than average—and more than double that of Caucasian and African-American women.

"This study underscores Kaiser Permanente's commitment to identify differences in risk and clinical outcomes for different ethnic and racial groups,” said Winston F. Wong, MD, MS, medical director of Kaiser Permanente’s Community Benefit Disparities Improvement and Quality Initiatives. “While we cannot eliminate the increased risk of prenatal diabetes among our Korean and Chinese patients, we use this kind of research to alert and empower our health care professionals and physicians to reduce disparities and achieve the best possible outcomes for our patients and their children

I love Gov. funded research. It's the best. :whistle:

Edited by Crashed~N2~Me

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

I had Gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with my little girl 4 years ago. Against my husband's wishes, I kept eating from the menu of Dairy Queen, as almost everything gave me nausea, up to the third trimester.

Makes me want Dairy Queen now...

Timeline

I had Gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with my little girl 4 years ago. Against my husband's wishes, I kept eating from the menu of Dairy Queen, as almost everything gave me nausea, up to the third trimester.

Makes me want Dairy Queen now...

mmm... root beer float..... or a large vanilla sugar cone.....

K-1 Visa Timeline:

event.png

event.png

event.png

My wife had gestational diabetes. She had morning sickness a lot too, and I struggled to get her to eat enough during her pregnancy. Her doctor, who was Chinese, also was concerned that her weight was so low. I couldnt figure out what to give her that didn't nauseate her. I thought of ensure, but it is pretty expensive, for us. So my dad had the idea to buy her chocolate Carnation instant breakfast drink packets, which she liked. I fixed her one of those each afternoon when her stomach was more tame, and she did well with that. It seemed to have a good nutritional value too. She was so sensitive to smells though.... Things she always liked she couldn't tolerate the smell of when cooking. She couldnt even stomach the smell of laundry detergent. Had to buy unscented laundry detergent, and wash all our clothes that had been already washed in scented detergent again to get rid of the smell.

I made sure she took her vitamin throughout too. That wasnt easy, and it also nauseated her. But what worked was to give her the vitamin in a spoonfull of fruit yogurt. That worked...most times. Also, when pregnant, I would have her sit at a 45 degree angle in bed when she woke up for the first half hour. I read about doing things like that for the morning sickness. While she laid like that i would make her oatmeal and dry toast, and bring her the dry toast in that half hour to eat, which also was supposed to be good in helping with the morning sickness. Doing those things did help us get through the rough spell. When she was somewhere after 12 weeks pregnant, most of that morning sickness went away then, but we still were careful what she ate, because then she developed the gestational diabetes.

Before she came to the USA she ate fish regularly. Fish and rice were a big part of her regular diet. That was before pregnancy too. But now after being here for 3 years, she doesnt much care for fish anymore, only occasionally. She never liked pork and never liked beef. Now about the only meat she likes is chicken. She is happiest eating just vegetables and raw fruits or egg.

Our son on the other hand loves pork, but not chicken or beef as well. He loves vegetables, cheese and fresh fruits.

Edited by Brijo

How to turn american spaghetti into filipino spaghetti

Add 2 cups of sugar , until it turns into a syrup

devil.gif

07-24-2009 Received NOA1
08-05-2009 Touched
10-02-2009 I-797C for Biometrics Appt
10-26-2009 Biometrics Appt. Completed
05-11-2010 Request for Evidence on both the I129F and I130
07-01-2010 Case Transferred to Vermont Service Center
10-20-2011 Contacted Ombudsman
02-07-2012 Case denied after almost 3 years =(
03-07-2012 Appeal Filed!
01-20-2013 Contacted Ombudsman again...

06-25-2013 EOIR Appeal Review

Visit my blog at http://goo.gl/ON4wG/

atckcgod5n.png

Darren that sucks man! She doesn't like any of the good stuff. Mexican, Italian, cheeseburgers? Monreal is starting to like Mexican food, which thrills me to death because i fricking talk in my sleep about Mexican food! If i can only get her to feel that way about Italian food our lives will be a notch better!

Timeline

Darren that sucks man! She doesn't like any of the good stuff. Mexican, Italian, cheeseburgers? Monreal is starting to like Mexican food, which thrills me to death because i fricking talk in my sleep about Mexican food! If i can only get her to feel that way about Italian food our lives will be a notch better!

Well she likes lots of "good stuff", chips and salsa is a start.

it is just the what you feed your kids type of thing. The hard part is living in AZ, mexican and italian are 2 main parts of the living here.

the thought of 2 cups of sugar into the sauce.... made me laugh. I think of their spaghetti sauce as more ketchup then sauce.

She does like corn dogs, but does not like sloppy joes. (it seems like anything with hamburger in it.)Maybe she associates the "sour" dill pickle with hamburger.

Tried to have her sample a philly cheesesteak (true philly made with whiz). No luck yet.

I think the hard part is the amount of "family" here from the village which have not accepted American food (some have been here over 10 years). Every meal there at the "family" home consists of Filipino food, and then HIS food. (only one American in the group besides me, not counting the 5 or 6 kids.)

K-1 Visa Timeline:

event.png

event.png

event.png

Monreal is starting to like Mexican food, which thrills me to death because i fricking talk in my sleep about Mexican food!

:lol:

Asawa Ko will eat Fajitas, Shrimp stuffed Poblanos, (Beef) Chili Rellenos and Tamales. In fact, Asawa Ko replicated a (prima donna Chef Tyler Florence - Seriously..that dude is a cry baby) Tamale recipe. :star: The Tamales were Masarap! :star: I managed to talk her into making 2 more batches. (coz I helped roll ;) )

post-113727-0-78548400-1337257428_thumb.jpg

post-113727-0-09402800-1337257456_thumb.jpg

Looking at these pics...I predict Tamales in my very near future. :hehe:

Edited by Crashed~N2~Me

I do ask asawa ko. However, sometimes I just have to guess.

It is hard to know what affects her by smell or just taste. Mainly because what smells good to her smells awful to me and vice versa. Smell salted fish, or pancit, or some other Filipino dishes.

We are in the last 7 weeks of pregnancy. the coffee is hard for her, but the doctor recommended it. Asawa ko is allowed only so much fish a week as well.

The other hard part is the rice. This is because of the diabetes Fiilipinas develop during last trimester from eating a lot of rice.

Darren, I've given birth twice. Ate a lot of rice during those pregnancies and never develop (gestational) diabetes. Who told you that or where did you get this info?

September 2007-- Met Online (FilipinaHeart.com)
March 12,2009-- Married at Quezon City Hall of Justice
USCIS/NVC STAGE
May 8,2009-- I-130 Sent
August 17,2009-- I-130 Approved
August 26, 2009--case received at NVC
November 5,2009--CASE COMPLETED
USEM MANILA STAGE/ U.S. SOIL
November 17-18,2009--Medical PASSED
December 10, 2009--Interview @ 8:30AM A-P-P-R-O-V-E-D
January 25, 2010--FLIGHT(Manila-Japan-Detroit,MI-Buffalo,NY)
February 22,2010-- 2-yr GREEN CARD received
February 26, 2010--SSN received
REMOVING of CONDITIONS
December 22, 2011-- I-751 mailed
February 28, 2012-- Biometrics done

October 10, 2012-- 10-yr GREEN CARD received
NATURALIZATION
January 09, 2013-- sent N-400
January 28, 2013-- Biometrics

May 22, 2013-- Interview Passed- Officially a US Citizen!

Honey, is that a hint? :unsure:

Immigration Timeline Summary

10.21.2008 – CR-1 Visa Application Filed (By Hubby's Sec)
09.04.2009 – Visa Interview | Passed
09.10.2009 – Visa Packet Received
09.17.2009 – US Entry | Home
07.05.2011 – ROC Petition Filed
05.01.2012 – ROC Approved (No Interview)
05.18.2012 – 10-year GC Received
06.19.2012 – Eligible to apply for Naturalization
(procrastinated)
06.24.2013 – N-400 Application Filed
09.30.2013 – Civics Test / Interview | Passed
10.03.2013 – Oath Taking Ceremony | Became a USCitizen!
04.14.2014 – Applied for "Expedite Service" Passport (as PI travel date was fast approaching)
04.16.2014 – Passport Issued & Shipped
04.17.2014 – US Passport Received

Our timeline vanished into thin air.

I've contacted the admin several times but I got zero response.

https://meiscookery.wordpress.com

:lol:

Asawa Ko will eat Fajitas, Shrimp stuffed Poblanos, (Beef) Chili Rellenos and Tamales. In fact, Asawa Ko replicated a (prima donna Chef Tyler Florence - Seriously..that dude is a cry baby) Tamale recipe. :star: The Tamales were Masarap! :star: I managed to talk her into making 2 more batches. (coz I helped roll ;) )

post-113727-0-78548400-1337257428_thumb.jpg

post-113727-0-09402800-1337257456_thumb.jpg

Monreal will eat the Fajita meat but not the tortilla's. Which slighty sucks for her because this little hometown Mexican joint we go to has some of the best tortilla i have ever had. Now everytime we go eat some Mexican she asks for Queso Blanco!! I am a partially chubby man because of Queso Blanco! I wear it proudly! I don't think she has tried any Tamales yet. I am going to get some next time and she if she wants to try it!

Monreal will eat the Fajita meat but not the tortilla's. Which slighty sucks for her because this little hometown Mexican joint we go to has some of the best tortilla i have ever had. Now everytime we go eat some Mexican she asks for Queso Blanco!! I am a partially chubby man because of Queso Blanco! I wear it proudly! I don't think she has tried any Tamales yet. I am going to get some next time and she if she wants to try it!

All this talk about Mexican food...I'm getting hungry. :hehe: (time for Oatmeal b4 I start seeking out a Taqueria 4 B-fast)

Asawa Ko likes Tamales. Says they remind her of a recipe Mom has made since she was a bata. I can't remember :unsure: the name of the recipe. Asawa Ko told me the Corn mix is wrapped in Banana leaves.

Honey, is that a hint? :unsure:

mmmm...yes :hehe:

Baby..what's the name of that recipe? Is it a well known recipe in PI? :blink:

Edited by Crashed~N2~Me

Timeline

hmmm, never thought of fajitas or tamales. Some mighty, mighty good tamales here in Phoenix. but then again been craving Rally's (checkers) as well. What I miss is white castle.... not a white castle around.

the fajitas, she might starting eating all the meat, then i am stuck with vegetables, guac, sour cream, and maybe beans. Have to wait and see.

I made Cincinnati chili once, she did not try it.

Shrimp seems to be her favorite thing. Mainly fried shrimp or Filipino hot shrimp. She will eat Chicken nuggets. I have thought of fish tacos but she doesn't seem interested.

She favors a lot of Filipino food right now. So i am just going with the flow of things. My hard part is most Filipino food I do not like. (mainly because of the soy, vinegar, sugar combinations) Right now I understand her being pregnant right after getting here, so I know it is hard on her. My only frustration is when the kids are here with us, they like American food. I expose them to some of the Filipino food a little at a time. (even showed them the squid which they thought was neat and gross at the same time.)

K-1 Visa Timeline:

event.png

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.