TwoInLove

Latvian boyfriend, has been here 15 years

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you have a previous relationship that was used to petition a different preson with immigration issues you are going to have HUGE problems petitioning a second person. This type of thing used to be a common scam were USC's made big money by serial marriage to various immigrants to help them gain status. Be very prepared to be grilled about this possibility.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

good.gif

My mexican husband and I are getting divorced sadly. It didn't work out so he went back to mexico.

March 15, 2007 - I-129F Sent

March 20, 2007 - NOA1 Received

March 23, 2007 - Touched, April 4, 2007 - Touched , April 5, 2007 - Touched

April 18, 2007 - RFE Email received (waiting for snailmail to see what it is they need)

April 23, 2007 - Received RFE in the mail, mailed out RFE to USCIS using express mail, will get there tomorrow (come on NOA2!)

April 25, 2007 - USCIS Received my RFE info and case has resumed processing

April 26, 2007 - Touched, April 27, 2007 - Touched, April 28, 2007 - TOUCHED AGAIN!

May 10, 2007 - NOA2 Email notification (It took 56 days)

May 16, 2007 - Received NOA2 Notice in snail mail

May 18, 2007 - Received Letter from NVC that they are sending our packet to Juarez Consulate this week

May 26, 2007 - Received Fiance Packet!!!!!!

June 5, 2007 - Medical

June 6, 2007 - Interview at Juarez - Visa Denied (Fiance admitted to smoking marijuana cigarette 6 months before the interview, labeled a 'DRUG ADDICT")

November 18, 2009: I sent an inquiry thru the Juarez website asking about our upcoming end to our ban, what to do etc.

December 14, 2009 - Received a reply from the consulate saying that they will forward a request to the immigration department to request a new appt

December 16, 2009 - Received an email from the consulate saying they are ready for my fiance to come for an open appt anytime

February 2, 2010 - Medical - Trip back to Psych far away in dirty office

February 3, 2010 - Pick up Medical Results

February 4, 2010 - Interview, given form 221(g) "Admin Review" and to come back in 6 months for another medical examination. #######.

Timeline

I obviously would have to marry him I wouldn't petition a boyfriend, I am just asking hypothetically if he would ever be able to get legal after overstaying a travel visa for 15 years? Do they treat Europeans differently than mexicans? If a mexican were here over 15 years he/she would have a lifetime ban -

I just want to know if anyone knows if it is possible for him to become legal assuming I or someone else was going to marry him?

Also, my mexican marriage was a legitimate marriage it was not a scam.

I wouldn't worry about petitioning a second person because my first marriage was real we had been together for 6 years.

April 18, 2007 - RFE Email received (waiting for snailmail to see what it is they need)

April 23, 2007 - Received RFE in the mail, mailed out RFE to USCIS using express mail, will get there tomorrow (come on NOA2!)

April 26, 2007 - Touched, April 27, 2007 - Touched, April 28, 2007 - TOUCHED AGAIN!

May 18, 2007 - Received Letter from NVC that they are sending our packet to Juarez Consulate this week

June 5, 2007 - Medical

June 6, 2007 - Interview at Juarez - Visa Denied (Fiance admitted to smoking marijuana cigarette 6 months before the interview, labeled a 'DRUG ADDICT")

November 18, 2009: I sent an inquiry thru the Juarez website asking about our upcoming end to our ban, what to do etc.

December 14, 2009 - Received a reply from the consulate saying that they will forward a request to the immigration department to request a new appt

December 16, 2009 - Received an email from the consulate saying they are ready for my fiance to come for an open appt anytime

February 4, 2010 - Interview, given form 221(g) "Admin Review" and to come back in 6 months for another medical examination. #######.

Yes, he could adjust from an overstayed visa. A Mexican could as well. A Mexican who couldn't adjust would be someone who entered without inspection.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I just want to know if anyone knows if it is possible for him to become legal assuming I or someone else was going to marry him?

To use marriage as a vehicle to make someone "legal" is not legal but perhaps legal status could be achieved through a bona fide marriage.

I think the reason you are seeing some of these negative reactions is because of the way the question is posted. It would seem that the intended outcome is to make the Latvian boyfriend "legal" by marriage to you or even someone else.

Edited by Operator

Timeline

To use marriage as a vehicle to make someone "legal" is not legal but perhaps legal status could be achieved through a bona fide marriage.

I think the reason you are seeing some of these negative reactions is because of the way the question is posted. It would seem that the intended outcome is to make the Latvian boyfriend "legal" by marriage to you or even someone else.

Correct and thank you for making that point. Oh well I had no idea a person could legalize after being here on an overstayed visa, there was only one response to this so is this really true?

I really love him a lot but I don't know where the relationship is really going right now -

I know what it was like to get my mexican husband here and it was tough so not ready to go through that again anytime soon OMG! But if our relationship does get to the point of being that serious I would petition him but then again if I did marry him and he didn't get it then that would be a nightmare so it's a big decision to make I've already been through so much already.

If anyone knows that it is definitely possible to petition him by marriage I'd like to hear from you! :)

June 5, 2007 - Medical

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Correct and thank you for making that point. Oh well I had no idea a person could legalize after being here on an overstayed visa, there was only one response to this so is this really true?

I really love him a lot but I don't know where the relationship is really going right now -

I know what it was like to get my mexican husband here and it was tough so not ready to go through that again anytime soon OMG! But if our relationship does get to the point of being that serious I would petition him but then again if I did marry him and he didn't get it then that would be a nightmare so it's a big decision to make I've already been through so much already.

If anyone knows that it is definitely possible to petition him by marriage I'd like to hear from you! :)

You need to find out how he entered. If he entered legally, by way of a visa, then yes. As long as he has NEVER claimed to be a USC at any point in his life, as long as he's never used a USC's SSN, then yes, it's entirely possible for you to file AOS for him from within the US.

I do however second the statement that even though YOU know your first marriage was real, they might find it odd that you happened to petition yet another immigrant and thus question this relationship as legit, or just to get money to help him immigrate or something. Just be prepared for the tough questions is all.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

You need to find out how he entered. If he entered legally, by way of a visa, then yes. As long as he has NEVER claimed to be a USC at any point in his life, as long as he's never used a USC's SSN, then yes, it's entirely possible for you to file AOS for him from within the US.

I do however second the statement that even though YOU know your first marriage was real, they might find it odd that you happened to petition yet another immigrant and thus question this relationship as legit, or just to get money to help him immigrate or something. Just be prepared for the tough questions is all.

Well one good thing is that my Mexican ex-husband after being here decided he did not want to be here in the USA and is not even going to file for his permanent residency, he just missed home too much and is already back in Mexico with no plans whatsoever to return this would be a plus for me to petition my Latvian if I married him. I also can have my ex write a letter if need be explaining that fact as well. They will have record of his exit and non-return therefore extinquishing any doubt to the US that he or I got married to obtain a greencard. He doesn't want it. We were together for 6 years in total, married for 1.5 years. Sad indeed however it is what it is. His wanting to just go back to Mexico would be a plus here for this situation. What do you mean pretend to be a US citizen or use another's SS card? How would anyone be able to do that?

June 5, 2007 - Medical

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
What do you mean pretend to be a US citizen or use another's SS card? How would anyone be able to do that?

It's possible but I'm sorry I'm not going to tell you HOW they do it because there's no point and people could then try and do it. Needless to say it happens, sometimes accidentally (with claiming to be a USC).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

What do you mean pretend to be a US citizen or use another's SS card? How would anyone be able to do that?

Very easily - tell employer that he is a US citizen... Lots of people did that. It carries lifetime ban from US with no possible waiver.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.