itsy_bitsy

Medicaid for Pregnant women

22 posts in this topic

So, from what I've gathered, I've learned the following to be my options:

Simplified Eligibility for Pregnant Women (SEPW)- The "full coverage" pregnancy medicaid. Covers from prenatal care to labor and delivery costs, and even the health insurance of the child until he's/she's 2. Must be a US citizen to qualify!

Presumptively Eligible Pregnant Women (PEPW) - When you apply for SEPW, they give you this so you can get the care you need ASAP while waiting for the result. If you're approved of the SEPW based on the qualifications and requirements, then no more need of PEPW. But if it turns out that you're denied of SEPW because you didn't qualify, then the prenatal coverage of PEPW has to stop. So, this isn't really an option.

Emergency Medicaid- available for non-USC as emergency medical help. As far as pregnancy, it covers labor and delivery but not the prenatal care (hence the term emergency), although I think the delivery itself has to be a case of emergency(?). So this is the only other option to SEPW.

Given my financial situation, it would be nice to qualify for SEPW and get covered from prenatal to delivery because prenatal care itself costs thousands of $$. But as stated, one of the requirements is that the pregnant woman must be a USC. Like I've said, I'm not a USC (yet), although my naturalization is pending. Do you think I should at least try to apply for SEPW and risk getting denied? Or should I wait until my naturalization is completed and then apply?

The OP will probably qualify for emergency medicaid for the delivery of the child, but at the same token I hope any reading this will not think of this as a way out of having to pay for the delivery of their child (I am not implying the OP is BTW). Someone does ultimately have to pay for the service, and it general ends up being the US public (whether it be higher premiums or heathcare costs). I wish the OP best of luck.

From my experience right now, I strongly discourage anyone thinking of relying on medicaid. I mean, you may qualify for the aide due to a small income, but the situation of not making enough to make ends meet is depressing. I'd very much prefer that we make more (and not qualify for any aide), and be able to pay for our all our needs and some wants.

I'm sure there is nobody in this country wanna rely the government help. But you have to do what you have to do, if you can't afford it and if there is a help that you gonna get, take a advantage on it no matter how little it is. Hopsital bills and Doctors bills is ssoo damn expensive in this country. After my delivery they sent us our bills, it was scary amount if you dont have any insurance. Our insurance are AETNA and cover almost all the costs but we still did pay $3500 out of our pocket for the rest. Good luck to you and have a happy healthy pregnancy !

Edited by John&Juvy
SzIKm4.png
4202e493-922b-4a14-a1b7-438a49a69f71_zps0b740bfd-4829-475c-92b2-ceedfc991843_zps

Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years.

I'm sure there is nobody in this country wanna rely the government help. But you have to do what you have to do, if you can't afford it and if there is a help that you gonna get, take a advantage on it no matter how little it is. Hopsital bills and Doctors bills is ssoo damn expensive in this country. After my delivery they sent us our bills, it was scary amount if you dont have any insurance. Our insurance are AETNA and cover almost all the costs but we still did pay $3500 out of our pocket for the rest. Good luck to you and have a happy healthy pregnancy !

Thank you! Yes, the cost of medical care here is really ridiculous. I'm just grateful I haven't been ill ever since I came here *knock on wood*. For my first visit to a health care clinic which is the only visit I've done so far for prenatal care, they billed me $458. That was only to see the midwife, the pregnancy testing, and a pap smear. When I got the bill, I almost cried. I was so sad because I didn't expect the amount, and more because I thought that if I had to pay that much for just one visit, how in the world would I be able to afford prenatal care for the rest of my pregnancy? Especially when the more important lab works have to be done? And then there's labor/delivery/postpartum cost of course. :( That's how I found out about medicaid. The midwife advised me to apply for it if I qualified so I wouldn't have to worry about paying out-of-pocket.

Edited by itsy_bitsy

Simplified Eligibility for Pregnant Women (SEPW)- The "full coverage" pregnancy medicaid. Covers from prenatal care to labor and delivery costs, and even the health insurance of the child until he's/she's 2. Must be a US citizen to qualify!

Presumptively Eligible Pregnant Women (PEPW) - When you apply for SEPW, they give you this so you can get the care you need ASAP while waiting for the result. If you're approved of the SEPW based on the qualifications and requirements, then no more need of PEPW. But if it turns out that you're denied of SEPW because you didn't qualify, then the prenatal coverage of PEPW has to stop. So, this isn't really an option.

Emergency Medicaid- available for non-USC as emergency medical help. As far as pregnancy, it covers labor and delivery but not the prenatal care (hence the term emergency), although I think the delivery itself has to be a case of emergency(?). So this is the only other option to SEPW.

Given my financial situation, it would be nice to qualify for SEPW and get covered from prenatal to delivery because prenatal care itself costs thousands of $$. But as stated, one of the requirements is that the pregnant woman must be a USC. Like I've said, I'm not a USC (yet), although my naturalization is pending. Do you think I should at least try to apply for SEPW and risk getting denied? Or should I wait until my naturalization is completed and then apply?

There are clinics that will charge you based on income in many parts of the country. This might help you out on the prenatal care side of things, but you're going to have to search out your local clinics that do this. Between PEPW and low cost clinics, you should be able to get a handle the prenatal side of things. Start out with low cost clinics and later apply for PEPW? Emergency Medical Assistance should help cover the actual delivery. That is open to non citizens. Having a baby is going to be expensive, it is even if you have insurance.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Your spouse or someone who signed the affidavit of support is responsible for covering your pregnancy.

Sorry it is not tax payers responsibility.

They can get emergency medicaid and even regular medicaid in some states (Medicaid and medicare are federal programs contributed to ans administered by states, states have different qualifications depending on their particular situation) There is no correct blanket answer to this question.

Medicaid is not one of the benefits that is not allowed by the I-864 in any case.

the correct answer to your question is...go to the administrating authority in YOUR state and inform them of your status and make an application.

In Vermont you would be eligible for emergency medicaid to cover the pregnancy and the child will be a US citizen and eligible for medicaid as a citizen. Also in Vermont, ANY child under age 18 is eligible for medicaid. It is not an item that can be collected from the sponsor under the I-864

Thank you! Yes, the cost of medical care here is really ridiculous. I'm just grateful I haven't been ill ever since I came here *knock on wood*. For my first visit to a health care clinic which is the only visit I've done so far for prenatal care, they billed me $458. That was only to see the midwife, the pregnancy testing, and a pap smear. When I got the bill, I almost cried. I was so sad because I didn't expect the amount, and more because I thought that if I had to pay that much for just one visit, how in the world would I be able to afford prenatal care for the rest of my pregnancy? Especially when the more important lab works have to be done? And then there's labor/delivery/postpartum cost of course. :( That's how I found out about medicaid. The midwife advised me to apply for it if I qualified so I wouldn't have to worry about paying out-of-pocket.

Apply for medicaid, you will get it on an emergency basis at the very least

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Apply now for what you can and re-apply or update when you have your citizenship.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.