distressedbride

Scheduled Wedding before receiving K1 Visa

48 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you for all your reply's.

We are still sorting out all our options. As it stands, we might make it.

I think the most frustrating part of all is that all the government officials i speak to have differing opinions.

Incase you have a similar situation this is what i found:

It is not suggested to visit (ie come for a wedding/party and leave), but it is not technically wrong.

I'll get back to you on the vendors.

Yes the congressional office can be of service to you, by basically calling the NVC on your behalf. As well as looking up your case in their government computers. Their name carries more weight than yours.

If you get a request for more information, its essentially game over for all your plans, as all timelines are now void.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

This is what I would do:

I would try to contact the embassy, tell them about your dilemma and that unfortunately were misinformed from USCIS about the time it will take and that you already made all the plans for the wedding and that you understand if they can't help you but you really appreciate any help they can give!

Ask them whether there is anything from there side they can do to help. I was researching the timelines and it looks like you have 2-3 month after NOA2 until interview is scheduled. If you can reduce that time, you might be able to make it!

Maybe they can already reserve a spot for an interview?

Get all the forms ready he will need to bring to the interview! Packet 3, packet 4 are downloadable.

Get the medical set up, maybe you can do that in advance, so there is no wait time for that.

Get all the papers he needs for the interview (police certificate, new letter of intent from you, affidavit of support with documents (I-134 it is called I think (long time ago!)).

Read the review of the embassy!

Hopefully you will get your NOA2 soon. Then call NVC and see whether there is anything possible from their side to speed it up. You always can ask!

Also get in touch with your vendors and your guests and try to move the wedding further out. Depending on the answers you get, you might need to be creative.

I don't think it will be a problem for your fiance to come to visit, even shortly before the interview. My husband travelled with me to US after the apprived interview (we were finalizing our wedding plans and the celebration!), the consulate postponed the issuance of the visa until we were back in Germany and they acutally scheduled the interview to a date I asked for. A lot of the consulates are willing to work with you.

Try!

Wishing you luck and keep us informed!

Sib

Filed: Timeline

I re point the mistake because in life you always educate yourself on something before acting on it. This is why I made the statement in which I made. It is like saying would you buy a car when you dont have a license to drive and not sure you are going to get it. This is a process that you have got to study prior to going forward with it. If you dont you will make mistakes that will cost you in the end. When it comes to a wedding they will not give refunds. If you cancel you will mearly be at a lost. With this process you cannot jump the gun. There are enough timelines posted on here just to get an idea of reality. Look at how long some cases may take. Regardless of what USCIS or NVC says it comes down to the interview and them saying approved! If she had taken the time to read some of these posts she would have realized it. All she can do is speak with the vendors and explain the situation and try to ask for another date much further out hoping that her fiance will be here by then.

Renee

I re point the mistake because in life you always educate yourself on something before acting on it. This is why I made the statement in which I made. It is like saying would you buy a car when you dont have a license to drive and not sure you are going to get it. This is a process that you have got to study prior to going forward with it. If you dont you will make mistakes that will cost you in the end. When it comes to a wedding they will not give refunds. If you cancel you will mearly be at a lost. With this process you cannot jump the gun. There are enough timelines posted on here just to get an idea of reality. Look at how long some cases may take. Regardless of what USCIS or NVC says it comes down to the interview and them saying approved! If she had taken the time to read some of these posts she would have realized it. All she can do is speak with the vendors and explain the situation and try to ask for another date much further out hoping that her fiance will be here by then.

They attempted to educate themselves and got wrong information. People can't change the past, only what they can do in the future, and the OP is attempting to fix her mistake. No need to tell her what she should have done, in my opinion.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

hi distressedbride.. i cant really help you with the embassy or your visa but i can give you some tips with your vendors. im event manager and worked for years for catering businesses who rent out venues. for the vendor it shouldnt be a problem at all to rebook your scheduled wedding date. august is the busiest wedding month of the year , so they easy can find someone who still wants to book on your day. so they make double amount of money. more likely they want to reschedule ur wedding on a week day and not a weekend , and also push it make to sept or oct. not as many weddings and they still can make some money of it. you might have to pay some fees for it.but you still so far ahead so they venue didnt really booked anything yet. no menue or food ordered yet, same with flowers and staff so on and on. it all gets ordered and ready 14-7 days prior to your wedding day. if you book everything over your venue lets say as a package then its even easier to rebook it. because its then the venues responsibility to do so. if you just booked the venue and lets say the dj, photograph, flowers separate its going to be a bit more harder to find another day they all free. easiest would be to pikc a week day like a Thursday or so. mostly everyone is free on those days. you also can cancel and pay your deposit fee, but i doubt your venue wants to loose you as a client and would be more likely to work with you. be flexible with your new date and dont let them talk to you that they can charge you double amount or so. you signed a contract already right?? so in the contract you have all your cancel or reschedule fees.

i hope it all works out for you and your fiance gets his visa soon and you two can get married and have a beautiful wedding :)

Visa Journey:

K1:

Service Center: Vermont Service Center

Consulate: Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F Sent: 10-13-2010

I-129F NOA1: 10-18-2010

I-129F NOA2: 04-05-2011

Consulate Received: 04-15-2011

Packet 3 Received: 04-29-2011

Packet 3 Sent: 04-30-2011

Packet 4 Received: 05-07-2011

Interview Date: 06-07-2011

Interview Result: Visa was on hold

Second Interview: Approved

Visa Received: 01-20-2012

ENTRY: 02-12-2012

Married: 03-26-2012

AOS 04-19-2012

Email notification 04-26-2012

NOA1 send : 04-24-2012

Biometric send: 04-27-2012

Biometric appt: 05-18-2012

AOS transfer to CSC: 05-24-2012

EAD/AD approved&send: 06-22-2012

EAD/AD arrived: 06-28-2012

e4nrdek1wws.png

Thank you for all your reply's.

We are still sorting out all our options. As it stands, we might make it.

I think the most frustrating part of all is that all the government officials i speak to have differing opinions.

Incase you have a similar situation this is what i found:

It is not suggested to visit (ie come for a wedding/party and leave), but it is not technically wrong.

I'll get back to you on the vendors.

Yes the congressional office can be of service to you, by basically calling the NVC on your behalf. As well as looking up your case in their government computers. Their name carries more weight than yours.

If you get a request for more information, its essentially game over for all your plans, as all timelines are now void.

That may be true for some, but I wouldn't say that would happen to everyone who reaches out to their congressperson. At best, their intervention helps push things forward and you get the interview faster, at worse, you're just added to their mailing list since it's an election year and they want your vote and financial contribution.

Still, the best advice for anyone else going through this journey is to not make confirmed plans until that visa is in their possession. There are only few parts of this journey that are in the hands of the petitioner and beneficiary, for the rest, you're depending on someone else to help you out.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Timeline

Hello all

So half of the wedding has agreed to move. If i can convince the other half, the question is, when to move it to? We seem to be so close, so I thought end of october sounded nice. we do like halloween.

it's a bit too much to ask them to hold my deposit until an undetermined time, when we could plan it with 100% assurance. So I am guessing on when would be the next best date.

Hello all

So half of the wedding has agreed to move. If i can convince the other half, the question is, when to move it to? We seem to be so close, so I thought end of october sounded nice. we do like halloween.

it's a bit too much to ask them to hold my deposit until an undetermined time, when we could plan it with 100% assurance. So I am guessing on when would be the next best date.

Any answer to the question "when to move it to?" would be an estimate/guess at best.

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)

Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Sorry to hear about your situation - especially since you did try to do the research beforehand.

As someone earlier mentioned: Get your fiance to get all the forms reads (it takes a surprising amount of time - at least it did for me - to figure out all the random things they are asking, like "list all countries you visited the last 5 (10?) years, every trip to the US, which MM/DD/YYYY did he start school etc), get a copy of the police certificate and look at the immunization form and if necessary get any shots outstanding now while you are still waiting for NOA2.

Once you have NOA2, chase up your case number with the NVC, with that you can book your medical appointment and make friends with the people at DOS who can tell you when your case is logged in London, when your interview is scheduled etc - last year some people succeeded to move their interview date forward by a few weeks because of things like booked flights. I tried to stay on the ball, got lucky with my NOA2, too admittedly, but filed in March and visa in hand by 9th Sept. HOWEVER: Someone on another post mentioned that there was a memo about London cutting back on cases processed over the summer due to higher security needs because of the olympics. Maybe it would be worthwhile to try and call the extortion line (i.e. London US embassy) and check if that also affects K1 visas.

Best of luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I would go very safe, if it is outside the 90 days then he can always delay entry for up to 6 months.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Sorry to hear about your situation - especially since you did try to do the research beforehand.

As someone earlier mentioned: Get your fiance to get all the forms reads (it takes a surprising amount of time - at least it did for me - to figure out all the random things they are asking, like "list all countries you visited the last 5 (10?) years, every trip to the US, which MM/DD/YYYY did he start school etc), get a copy of the police certificate and look at the immunization form and if necessary get any shots outstanding now while you are still waiting for NOA2.

Once you have NOA2, chase up your case number with the NVC, with that you can book your medical appointment and make friends with the people at DOS who can tell you when your case is logged in London, when your interview is scheduled etc - last year some people succeeded to move their interview date forward by a few weeks because of things like booked flights. I tried to stay on the ball, got lucky with my NOA2, too admittedly, but filed in March and visa in hand by 9th Sept. HOWEVER: Someone on another post mentioned that there was a memo about London cutting back on cases processed over the summer due to higher security needs because of the olympics. Maybe it would be worthwhile to try and call the extortion line (i.e. London US embassy) and check if that also affects K1 visas.

Best of luck!

You can read the memo here: http://london.usembassy.gov/visanews014.html

Coming Soon...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Sorry, this is absurd. I've postponed my wedding (was supposed to be in 5 weeks), so I don't see why someone should be allowed to cut corners because she didn't research it properly.

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Sorry, this is absurd. I've postponed my wedding (was supposed to be in 5 weeks), so I don't see why someone should be allowed to cut corners because she didn't research it properly.

What? What part is absurd? What corners is she cutting? She's simply rearranging her plans because she has to.

The OP is talking about postponing their wedding.

Edited by Arya Snark

Timeline

What? What part is absurd? What corners is she cutting? She's simply rearranging her plans because she has to.

The OP is talking about postponing their wedding.

Peter_Pan is referring to the original poster wanting USCIS to process the case faster so that the wedding wouldn't have to be moved. I think she's decided against that now and is going to move the date.

K1 Visa Timeline

01/13/2012 I-129F sent via USPS

01/16/2012 I-129F delivered

01/17/2012 NOA1 date on USCIS website

01/20/2012 Text and E-Mail Notification of NOA1!

01/20/2012 Check Cashed

01/23/2012 NOA1 Hardcopy

01/23/2012 Called USCIS to report that my fiance's name was misspelled on the NOA1

01/24/2012 Touched

01/26/2012 Received response to report, e-mail states error has been corrected.

02/08/2012 Touched

07/12/2012 NOA2! It took 177 days.

07/17/2012 NOA2 Hardcopy

07/20/2012 NVC received and forwarded to London

07/23/2012 Received in London

07/31/2012 Packet 3 received

08/02/2012 Packet 3 sent

08/16/2012 Medical

10/1/2012 Interview: APPROVED!

10/3/2012 Visa Issued

10/8/2012 Visa delivery

10/24/2012 POE Dublin

11/21/2012 Wedding

event.png

[uSCIS] cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Expedite?

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.