distressedbride

Scheduled Wedding before receiving K1 Visa

48 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You 'might' make it since they are starting January petitions now but that's not guaranteed and VERY doubtful since they are doing some of Decembers backlog as well. Even IF you were approved tomorrow, then you still have another perhaps two months between the I-129F being approved and you attending the medical and interview and being granted a visa, this is assuming everything goes perfectly

Unless there is military involvement then no, there isn't anything you can do. Even with a military expedite, you're still given a guideline to wait thirty days

Hello im new here. How do you post the ticker factory thing here?

XOXO- Timzel

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Weddings are not refundable. They point this out, and unfortunately that was the only thing I did understand. When you are within 90 days of the wedding you have completely paid for it. You will not be getting any of that money back, and in our case, it is a considerable sum.

I guess part of me wanted a normal person wedding, because if you live in a city, and you want a wedding, you cannot plan one in the 90 days they give you. You would have to get married twice. You have more than 90 days. Your visa is valid for 6 months then you have 90 days. I made most of my plans (outside of booking venues) prior to getting the K1 visa and made tentative bookings (refundable). Once we were approved I confirmed booking etc. It's totally doable. While obviously this doesn't help you now, it might help someone else reading.

We are discussing options of changing our wedding into a party, and not making it official. But this involves risking that the border protection people won't believe us, and won't let him come to his now downgraded wedding/party. This is your best chance.

We are also looking into pushing the application along after is it through USCIS. Has anyone had any luck with this? Does congressional help work?Not really. There are so many people who would try and push things along if weddings plans were grounds for it. Unfortunately it's not urgent and they put on the paperwork not to make any plans (I know you've heard that) so they'll use that as their "sorry but we warned you".

I suggest you try the non-official wedding. The risk is USCIS might think you ARE married and they don't need proof that you are, they just need to suspect it. So they'll deny the K1 and make you do a CR-1.

UK is low fraud but there's still that risk there that they won't believe it was just "for show".

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Laos
Timeline

no in certain countries unofficial wedding ceremonies can be considered official (i.e. india) even without paper trail. just depends on your country and the us embassy there. also you can't really push it along unless you have reason where it can be expedited which in your case doesn't seem likely. still even if you get it expedited at the uscis level who knows how long it takes afterwards. like others said, try to have the vendors push the wedding to another date and let family and friends know.

Edited by hnubno

Filed: Timeline

First:

Just. Breathe. cool.gif

Have you considered making it an engagement party? Or I agree with others, just a huge celebration.

I'd say call vendors and tell them your story, I'm sure they've heard many before, but it's worth a try. You do have a unique situation. I mean, the worst they can say is no, they won't change the date, then you create plan B.

You could use footage from the "party" and footage from the actual wedding when it DOES take place and create a wonderful video to share with those who attended the larger party.

Making this blip on the radar a part of your journey will make it all the more special. You don't need a perfect "normal wedding", why be like everyone else?

My vote is be creative and shake it up and see what you can come up with when you think outside the box, around the box, or on top of the box. yes.gif

Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

i work in this industry. 90 day out is enough to rebook a event offer to pay a small rebooking fee and just explain if you do this you have to move to that country or file for a cr1 and wait 1 year more. but the rebooking fee is not asking 4 a refund but to postpone and pay for some. :thumbs:

Summerville + Kryvyi Rih

age.png

age.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Or get married and go the CR1 route.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Or get married and go the CR1 route.

1) Ask for refunds or to have the date changed- they might charge you a little extra to change the date but you wont lose the whole deposit.

2) Get married and have your "normal wedding" and file for CR-1.

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Honduras
Timeline

Try to love the date with the vendors, I think that's your best bet. When I look for wedding things, I always tell them about the visa situation and ask them if it's possible to book with short notice. If they say no, I try to find some place else. It sucks that USCIS misinformed you. Unfortunately you cannot expedite the visa because of this.

El destino me ha unido a vos.

I-129F K1 Visa Process
[01.18.2012] Sent I-129F Petition
[01.20.2012] NOA1
[06.13.2012] NOA2 - no RFE's
[07.09.2012] Petition received at NVC; case number assigned
[07.11.2012] Petition sent to Honduras consulate
[07.13.2012] Consulate received petition package
[08.07.2012] Received interview date & Packet 4 in email
[10.10.2012] Interview smile.png - APPROVED!
[10.18.2012] POE Houston
[10.29.2012] Marriage <3

I-485 AOS Process
[12.14.2012] Sent I-485 Package with I-765
[12.19.2012] NOA1
[12.24.2012] Biometrics letter received
[01.02.2013] RFE notice
[01.05.2013] RFE hardcopy received
[01.07.2013] Biometrics appointment
[03.04.2013] RFE sent back to USCIS
[03.19.2013] EAD approved
[03.27.2013] EAD arrived in the mail

[09.21.2013] I-485 approved

[09.26.2013] Green card sent in mail

Weddings are not refundable. They point this out, and unfortunately that was the only thing I did understand. When you are within 90 days of the wedding you have completely paid for it. You will not be getting any of that money back, and in our case, it is a considerable sum.

I guess part of me wanted a normal person wedding, because if you live in a city, and you want a wedding, you cannot plan one in the 90 days they give you. You would have to get married twice.

We are discussing options of changing our wedding into a party, and not making it official. But this involves risking that the border protection people won't believe us, and won't let him come to his now downgraded wedding/party.

We are also looking into pushing the application along after is it through USCIS. Has anyone had any luck with this? Does congressional help work?

-Megan

Your wedding may not be refundable, but can you get your vendors to move the date forward? It would be bad business practice to not allow a reschedule. I'm sure they'd rather have you tell your friends about their awesome services than how unbending they are about moving dates.

USCIS will only expedite in certain cases: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=16a6b1be1ce85210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Also, you are probably aware that your fiance will have to enter the country "on the fiance visa", so if he comes over before it's issued, he has to go and come back. Technically, he is coming to visit you, right? I mean, if you have a party and are not actually getting married, do you have to declare that at the border?

K1 Filed: 4-1-2009 * Interview (approved): 10-21-2009 * POE: 11-1-2009 * Married: 11-29-2009

http://www.visajourn...009-k-1-filers/

-------------------

AOS Filed: 12-7-2009

AOS APPROVED! 2-27-2010 (no interview)

Greencard in hand: 3-4-2010

http://www.visajourn...ead/page__st__0

--------------------

ROC mailed to CSC 11-22-2011

Check cleared the bank 11-29-2011 (our 2nd anniversary) :)

Greencard received 6/15/2012 :)

November 2011 ROC Filers

N400 Filing (Citizenship for Ian) - Here we go!

Mailed 12-03-2012

Arrived at Phoenix SC 12-6-2012

Check cashed 12-11-2012

12-11-2012 NOA

12-26-2012 Biometrics

1-25-2013 Notice - Interview Scheduled for 3-4-2013

Oath 3-4-2013 Omaha Field Office

Your wedding may not be refundable, but can you get your vendors to move the date forward? It would be bad business practice to not allow a reschedule. I'm sure they'd rather have you tell your friends about their awesome services than how unbending they are about moving dates.

USCIS will only expedite in certain cases: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=16a6b1be1ce85210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Also, you are probably aware that your fiance will have to enter the country "on the fiance visa", so if he comes over before it's issued, he has to go and come back. Technically, he is coming to visit you, right? I mean, if you have a party and are not actually getting married, do you have to declare that at the border?

USCIS won't expedite a case for wedding deposits.

London used to be somewhat accommodating regarding speeding things up on the interview side. But the processes have changed regarding medical etc. so I don't know what the likelihood would be of getting a "rush" these days.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Hello Visa Journey:

I made a huge mistake and scheduled our wedding (read: paid for it), before we were given our NOA2. Filled I-129F in January 18 , NOA1 Feb 8th. Called USCIS to ask about the filing time, because i didn't understand, they told me that after the 5 months he would have a K1 visa in his hand. I have since learned this was not true, but scheduled an entire wedding for mid August.

I have tried to push USCIS to process it faster, and am at my wits end. I now have a wedding, and guests, and everything all set up, but have no idea if the papers will make it in time for me to have a groom.

Do you have any suggestions? I realize a huge mistake has been made, I am now wondering how to fix it.

I got mislead the same way! I made an Infopass to ask when to send my packet for a wedding that was scheduled, they said 5 months at most. Ugh. Anyways, you can expect to take ~1 week at NVC and then ~1-2 months at the UK embassy (although they do seem to be more willing to expedite for wedding plans at that stage) after the K1 is approved here. I played chicken with the wedding date and my husband ended up getting here 4 days before the wedding- but I've never been more stressed in my life.

Definitely call Knightsbridge (the place he does his medical) and tell them he's willing to drop anything to take an earlier appointment if someone cancels. Get in touch with your representatives/senators, they are able to push it through NVC and the embassy a bit faster. I wish you nothing but the best of luck.

POE: 5/17/2011

Wedding: 5/21/2011

AOS Mailed: 6/17/2011

NOA1 6/27/2011

RFE 7/13/2011

EAD approved 8/22/2011 :)

AOS Approved 9/14/2011 :) :) :)

USCIS Free till 2013!!!!!!!!! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Oh also have him prepare everything for the UK side, all the forms and requirements are online, so he can have it completely done and ready to go as soon as London gets your case

POE: 5/17/2011

Wedding: 5/21/2011

AOS Mailed: 6/17/2011

NOA1 6/27/2011

RFE 7/13/2011

EAD approved 8/22/2011 :)

AOS Approved 9/14/2011 :) :) :)

USCIS Free till 2013!!!!!!!!! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello Visa Journey:

I made a huge mistake and scheduled our wedding (read: paid for it), before we were given our NOA2. Filled I-129F in January 18 , NOA1 Feb 8th. Called USCIS to ask about the filing time, because i didn't understand, they told me that after the 5 months he would have a K1 visa in his hand. I have since learned this was not true, but scheduled an entire wedding for mid August.

I have tried to push USCIS to process it faster, and am at my wits end. I now have a wedding, and guests, and everything all set up, but have no idea if the papers will make it in time for me to have a groom.

Do you have any suggestions? I realize a huge mistake has been made, I am now wondering how to fix it.

Simple. Schedule another wedding but not until the visa is IN HIS HAND.

No one is going to "speed up" because you scheduled something. And you have the NVC and consualte to get through before the visa is issued. This is a long process, four years or more until citizenship and they NEVER consider your plans. Call the rest "tuition" for the educational experience

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Have the party. send out a 'oops' note to your guests, tell them it will be a celebration but not the legal wedding. do everything as you have planned except the legal ceremony. Friends and family will understand and will probably be happier than if you cancel or reschedule. plans are made if you have guests from overseas coming. tickets probably booked too. And if all goes well for you, chances are, you could have your NOA2 by August, maybe even the interview date, that can be part of the speech, part of the toasts and even later, have the photos of your legal wedding be your thank you cards. Turn the distress into the wedding people will always remember. Get creative.

as for your fiances entry into the US, use the honesty policy, if you have your interview scheduled, you can explain to immigration the mistake you made, and that you have your interview date now, why would you run off and get married when you are so close to the end? He could have a copy of the interview letter, a copy of the cancelled or rescheduled celebrant/priest (whichever), a copy of the 'oops' message you sent to friends and family. even letters from all your guests! ask them to write a little note about it! it could work?

if you do it this way, then if by some small miracle your visa is approved before your wedding.. it wouldn't be too hard to quickly organize the legal side of things and make it a big surprise.

Good luck!!

Edited by SweetDelish

N400

08 Mar 20: N400 filed online

14 Mar 20: Biometrics scheduled for 31 March - cancelled due to Covid19 shutdown.  

16 Dec 20: Biometrics

12 Feb 21: Interview (approved)

24 Feb 21: Oath Ceremony

ROC

31 Jul 15: ROC (I-751) sent

19 Jan 16: Greencard received

AOS

26 Feb 13: AOS (I-485, I-131, I-765) sent

06 Mar 13: NOA1's received

03 Apr 13: Biometrics completed

12 Sept 13: Interview - Memphis, approved!

Sept 13: Greencard received.

California Service Centre

17 May 12: I-129f sent

23 May 12: NOA1

20 Aug 12: NOA2 (89 days)

20 Nov 12: Interview in Sydney

29 Nov 12: Visa Issued

05 Dec 12: POE Honolulu

20 Dec 12: Wedding day

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.