one...two...tree

Some Alabama farmers cut back crops, citing illegal immigration crackdown

82 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

The best thing that can happen is the illegals go back and grow the crops there and export it to us. They then get to be home close to family. They start getting wealthier and then better education comes along. Their lot in life rises and thus enriches us all.

First, about half the illegals came legally and overstayed their visas.

Second, I am sure if you made $5 a day you would be perfectly content with your $5 and you'd "start getting wealthier and then better education comes along. Their lot in life rises and thus enriches us all." <---LOL

At $5 a day, when you pay $2 of it in taxis to get back and forth to work, you are pretty much working like a slave just to get some food in your mouth. So (and this is a no brainer) they think to themselves, I can go on this fun and exciting journey of sneaking across the border to the US, and I'll make $250 to $400 a week. At this amount my life will be complete. I'll be able to rent an apartment, get a car, buy clothes, misc. items, and still have extra money to send back home.

But ya, I'm sure you would not take that medium risk / high reward. You'd be happy with the $5 a day. wacko.gif

Edited by ☠

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

First, about half the illegals came legally and overstayed their visas.

Second, I am sure if you made $5 a day you would be perfectly content with your $5 and you'd "start getting wealthier and then better education comes along. Their lot in life rises and thus enriches us all." <---LOL

At $5 a day, when you pay $2 of it in taxis to get back and forth to work, you are pretty much working like a slave just to get some food in your mouth. So (and this is a no brainer) they think to themselves, I can go on this fun and exciting journey of sneaking across the border to the US, and I'll make $250 to $400 a week. At this amount my life will be complete. I'll be able to rent an apartment, get a car, buy clothes, misc. items, and still have extra money to send back home.

But ya, I'm sure you would not take that medium risk / high reward. You'd be happy with the $5 a day. wacko.gif

And then you get the answer and stop wondering

But..thank you for reinforcing my statement. Make it "high risk/no reward" and they go home

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Timeline
Well Alabama doesn't grow the crops then someplace else will and we are all just fine. The best thing that can happen is the illegals go back and grow the crops there and export it to us. They then get to be home close to family. They start getting wealthier and then better education comes along. Their lot in life rises and thus enriches us all.

Yep, because what we really need to work on is growing our trade deficit. ;)

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

OR there will be increased incentive to develop machines to harvest crops which heretofore have been harvested by hand and that will create another level of jobs and technology, sort of how ending the earlier form of slavery resulted in an industrial revolution, and not just the cotton gin was teh result

To a certain extent this is already occurring but its more nuanced. There is a way for instance to harvest tomatoes mechanically, however the tech is not just in the machine but the plant. In California they started a new system with a GM tomato that does not bruise easily. But consumers still like the older varieties as well. So to a certain extent, if the older varieties are not grown here, they will be grown where labor is cheap.

Will alabama farmers adopt the California option or will they simply go to other crops? The article hints at the latter.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

they would use contractors...so all of the SS, medicare, benefits etc need to be wrapped into their pay

Since when do contractors get SS, medicare and benefits? They just get a 1099, and it's their responsibility to pay all of the above.

It's not "wrapped into their pay" either - contractors are cheaper than full-time employees precisely for this reason.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Since when do contractors get SS, medicare and benefits? They just get a 1099, and it's their responsibility to pay all of the above.

It's not "wrapped into their pay" either - contractors are cheaper than full-time employees precisely for this reason.

Right. I did some contract work this year, so when I was figuring my hourly rate I included the costs of all of the above so that it was wrapped in to my pay.

IE as an employee with benefits I get paid say 35 USD. As a contractor I charge higher to compensate.

Edited by Sousuke